The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

PPE/EPI Adjustment

Hello!

I was wondering if any of you would know whether one would have any chance at all to be accepted through adjustment to such terribly prestigious courses? Given, of course, the elimination of student quotas coming the following school year.

The courses are: Politics Philosophy Economics (A*AA; A in GCSE maths) and Economics Politics and International Relations (A*AA, A* in GCSE maths).

Now, in the case that when calling in for the adjustment I can plead my case and whine, I could mention the following:

Having achieved AAAAC on my AS levels and predicted AAABBb (the b being in Core Maths; AS level equivalent, one B being in General Studies; got A*s and As on my IGCSEs with a B in maths), I would think I would be able to get significantly better grades. Moved to the UK last year and ended up in a bottom ranking school (bottom 30%). The only thing propping up the school at that rank would be perfect attendance as they are very dogmatic about it. The teachers lied to me about the grades they would predict me and went from A*s to As and Bs; needless to say, the school is rather terrible, with the reference being rather remote to what good things the teachers told me about myself face-to-face. And many teachers did not bother showing up to lessons either....

Do any of you think there would be a chance for an interview at all? I've been told repeatedly that I would do brilliantly in an interview as I have plenty of knowledge ranging from theology all the way to multiple economic schools of thought and heterodox economic theories. I cannot relegate myself to Birmingham Uni out of fear of not having peers who are very interested in the academic subjects being taught.

Any advice or even just opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Also, any tips on how to call them up and ask about this without being outright shut down?
(edited 8 years ago)
PPE at Warwick.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by High Stakes
PPE at Warwick.

Should I take that as a yes, there is adjustment for PPE at Warwick? If so, are there any interviews, or can you ask for one?
Original post by Caius Filimon
Should I take that as a yes, there is adjustment for PPE at Warwick? If so, are there any interviews, or can you ask for one?

It's extremely prestigious and the Economics department at Warwick is renowned - it is on par with Cambridge. (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics).

Now I wouldn't be surprised if it was really competitive to get into nowadays. Warwick has been gaining momentum in recent years and is considered a top university. But I do remember seeing the course pop up on adjustment in previous years.And no they don't do interviews.
Original post by High Stakes
It's extremely prestigious and the Economics department at Warwick is renowned - it is on par with Cambridge. (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics).

Now I wouldn't be surprised if it was really competitive to get into nowadays. Warwick has been gaining momentum in recent years and is considered a top university. But I do remember seeing the course pop up on adjustment in previous years.And no they don't do interviews.

I see; thank you for your reply.

And the economics department is indeed very prestigious, but the university as a whole is not as prestigious as UCL/LSE/Oxbridge, so I would expect them to be willing to consider a more varied range of applicants. Besides, they might know of the horrible reputation of the black country as they're more local, and so might be more willing to hear of my plight.

But yeah, guess I'll just call em up. Thanks again.

Quick Reply