The Student Room Group

Why do some people think that if you're not attracted to a skin color you're racist?

To some people if you're not attracted to all skin colours you're racist.

I do not understand this.

It's just a preference.

Some people may not be attracted to people of African/Caribbean descent. It doe not make them racist. it's just what they're attracted to. People didn't choose to not be attracted to certain skin colours.

Some people my loves Oranges and eat them everyday.

I do not like Oranges at all, I've never eaten one. I won't ever eat one. I can't stand the smell of them, the look of them, the idea of putting them in my mouth. Does that make me a some kind of Orange foodist?

Scroll to see replies

Strong username to thread correlation
It's not racist if it really is just a natural preference and there's a correlation, but you can't just go around say "I'm not attracted to X race", it makes it sound intentional which would be racist. Also, a lot of people may be 'less attracted' to a certain race because of untrue stereotypes and you're only seeing a pattern in the individuals you find attractive. How can you really say you're not attracted to a certain race of people when you haven't met everyone a part of that race?
Reply 3
Original post by Blondie987
It's not racist if it really is just a natural preference and there's a correlation, but you can't just go around say "I'm not attracted to X race", it makes it sound intentional which would be racist. Also, a lot of people may be 'less attracted' to a certain race because of untrue stereotypes and you're only seeing a pattern in the individuals you find attractive. How can you really say you're not attracted to a certain race of people when you haven't met everyone a part of that race?

It's impossible to meet everyone of a skin colour. Like it's impossible to that all dishes x food can make.

You just basically said "How do you know if you do not like x food if you've never tasted all the possible dishes it can make?"
Original post by MLPforever
It's impossible to meet everyone of a skin colour. Like it's impossible to that all dishes x food can make.

You just basically said "How do you know if you do not like x food if you've never tasted all the possible dishes it can make?"

But at the end of the day, you can't know for certain
Are you white?
Reply 6
I didn't know that people think it's racist to not be attracted to someone because of their skin colour?

Presumably the people who do think it's racist are themselves attracted to different skin colours equally?

Or perhaps they are just stupid.
Reply 7
yah, that's unfair, we have different interest and personality and taste too, very judgemental people who will think that we are racist. just choosing a color

It's just a preference.

Some people may not be attracted to people of African/Caribbean descent. It doe not make them racist. it's just what they're attracted to. People didn't choose to not be attracted to certain skin colours.

I do not like Oranges at all, I've never eaten one. I won't ever eat one. I can't stand the smell of them, the look of them, the idea of putting them in my mouth. Does that make me a some kind of Orange foodist?

Most of the time it's not just a harmless preference though.

Most of the time people are not attracted to a certain race because of the negative racial prejudices / stereotypes that have been ingrained in society.

That's the point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gucci Mane.

Most of the time people are not attracted to a certain race because of the racism that's been ingrained in society.

That's the point.

I refuse to take such a statement if you don't back it up with something.

People from different backgrounds have different attributes to them. The fact that people assume that its because of racism, that's the hazardous mindset that's going on nowadays.

But I can tell you right now, that the majority of black people I know, tend to have a preference for other black people too. Being in relationships or group of friends. Do I assume that because of this, they are just racists towards white people? Nope.

Just drop the act, drop the hazardous pre-conception that everything that happens nowadays is because of some racist/sexist reason.

Wake up.

It's just a preference.

Rip grammar

Most of the time people are not attracted to a certain race because of the racism that's been ingrained in society.

That's the point.

No

You're allowed to not find something attractive lmao :lol:

Now thanks for making a new account just to state this stupid statement :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Its a preference. mayeb the underlying reasons have the scope to make it racist.
Original post by DK_Boy12

People from different backgrounds have different attributes to them. The fact that people assume that its because of racism, that's the hazardous mindset that's going on nowadays.

But I can tell you right now, that the majority of black people I know, tend to have a preference for other black people too. Being in relationships or group of friends. Do I assume that because of this, they are just racists towards white people? Nope.

Just drop the act, drop the hazardous pre-conception that everything that happens nowadays is because of some racist/sexist reason.

Wake up.

Lols, you decry me for not posting any evidence, and then base your argument completely on anecdotal evidence. You are a total novice at debating.

Anyway here the evidence you wanted. The articles below document the fact that ethnic minorities are not as successful as whites when it comes to online dating, largely because of the widespread racism and racial prejudices that exist in society.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/race-attraction-2009-2014/

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-race-affects-whether-people-write-you-back/

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/09/new-okcupid-data-on-race-is-pretty-depressing.html#

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/12/okcupid-race_n_5811840.html
My Little Pony Forever?
Original post by DK_Boy12

Wake up.

Lols, you decry me for not posting any evidence, but then you base your argument completely on anecdotal evidence. You are a total novice at debating mate.

I cant post links yet since I'm a new member, but if you google "okcupid ethnicity" you will find all the evidence you need.

Okcupid (and other dating sites) have done a number of studies that show ethnic minorities are not as successful at online dating relative to whites, due to widespread negative racial prejudices that exist in society.

ps. When I have enough posts I will come back here and post all the links that support this. It's going to be quite a lot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lols, you decry me for not posting any evidence, but then you base your argument completely on anecdotal evidence. You are a total novice at debating mate.

I cant post links yet since I'm a new member, but if you google "okcupid ethnicity" you will find all the evidence you need.

Okcupid (and other dating sites) have done a number of studies that show ethnic minorities are not as successful at online dating relative to whites, due to widespread negative racial prejudices that exist in society.

ps. When I have enough posts I will come back here and post all the links that support this. It's going to be quite a lot.

I gave an opinion, in accordance to what I've seen for myself, and only used it to make a point towards mindsets and my own mindset: I don't assume that black people get together because they are racist towards white people. Different from your bold statement, where you're using an unfunded argument to explain the whole picture.

You can't say that they are less successful because of their origin because there is absolutely no proof to back that up. Online dating sites are about looks. The most predominant background on those dating websites is white, and they are based on predominantly white countries. Obviously if you grow up amongst white people, you are going to be more used to and more attracted to the looks white people. And the same happens with black people. It has nothing to do with racism.
I'm sorry, but the point you are trying to make its just not valid. People can have preferences and it shouldn't be shameful to have them.
Each race is on some level more attracted to their own. I could never date a non-white person (as I only find white people attractive) but thats just personal preference.
Reply 18
There's hot girls in all races, if you have a preference it's probably becase you are sheltered and don't mix with many other girls.
Original post by mightybis0n
Each race is on some level more attracted to their own. I could never date a non-white person (as I only find white people attractive) but thats just personal preference.

But it's not just personal preference. That's the point of this thread.

You're only attracted to white people because of racially prejudiced social conditioning, not harmless personal preference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending