The Student Room Group

Is it too late to go around asking solicitors' firms for legal work experience? Y12

i've been putting it off for ages so honestly i wouldn't be surprised if it was too late argghh

oh god i'm really not getting any this summer am i

oh and does anyone know if it's really necessary to get pre-uni work experience, if you're really sure you want to be a solicitor and aren't just considering it?

Scroll to see replies

You intend to study Law at uni? Work experience really is necessary to show your commitment.

You don't need to do it with a Solicitors' Firm though; that would be later, when you're planning to take the LPC. I'm also intending to study Law, and I have a placement with the Citizens' Advice Bureau this Summer.

And even if you can't get it this Summer, that's ok. All you need is to have done a work experience placement before you apply to unis, so that should be around the New Year? You could do a week during the first break you get from A2.

But you may be able to get a placement for the Summer. You'd have better luck with the CAB though; none of the Solicitors' Firms I approached responded to me! :tongue:

Just start asking. And ask in person, put pressure on them.
Tbh I think youd get more out of working in a legal orentated environment as you are really work shadowing. You cnat really do any advice work becayue you dont know anything.That makes you a bit of a spare part. the only time ive seen people that young is where theur parents were importnat clients.

Use your imagination, there are plenty of places that are linked to law, especially charities, which might find space for you.
Original post by nomnomnomm
i've been putting it off for ages so honestly i wouldn't be surprised if it was too late argghh

oh god i'm really not getting any this summer am i

oh and does anyone know if it's really necessary to get pre-uni work experience, if you're really sure you want to be a solicitor and aren't just considering it?

It's not too late but if I were you I would focus on trying to go to smaller firms - High Street firms are always a good option.

I have a placement this summer with a small local firm and they have said that they will be taking me to see a FDR etc at court so the opportunities are great! A couple of summers ago another local firm helped me meet a barrister who explained the differences between the pathway of becoming a barrister or solicitor.

Pre-uni work experience is a MUST!

Put it this way, it's better late than never!
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You intend to study Law at uni? Work experience really is necessary to show your commitment.

You don't need to do it with a Solicitors' Firm though; that would be later, when you're planning to take the LPC. I'm also intending to study Law, and I have a placement with the Citizens' Advice Bureau this Summer.

And even if you can't get it this Summer, that's ok. All you need is to have done a work experience placement before you apply to unis, so that should be around the New Year? You could do a week during the first break you get from A2.

But you may be able to get a placement for the Summer. You'd have better luck with the CAB though; none of the Solicitors' Firms I approached responded to me! :tongue:

Just start asking. And ask in person, put pressure on them.

yes! i want to do law at durham university, if i get a place :smile: the citizen's advice bureau? i've never heard of it before, but it's an idea. hopefully it won't be too hard to apply there... anyway, thanks for the suggestion, i'll definitely try to get a placement there

ah, that's reassuring, i haven't gotten a single response from a solicitors' firm either :frown: aha! in person, you say!.. there's a solicitor's firm right where i live, maybe if i go up to them and bring like a cover letter and my cv... maybe then... (wishful thinking haha)

thank you for the advice! especially the part about the CAB, definitely very helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by laura.parkinson
It's not too late but if I were you I would focus on trying to go to smaller firms - High Street firms are always a good option.

I have a placement this summer with a small local firm and they have said that they will be taking me to see a FDR etc at court so the opportunities are great! A couple of summers ago another local firm helped me meet a barrister who explained the differences between the pathway of becoming a barrister or solicitor.

High Street firms, ok! wow, you lucky thing, already secured a placement : o

and ok! pre-uni work experience! so that's definitely something i need, at least that's confirmed... wow that's a lot of pressure.... ahh, but thank you for the advice :smile:
Write to your local law society.
I have work experience in September at Westminster magistrates court, so it's not too late
Reply 8
update: got work experience for summer 2016, thanks all for the help! :biggrin:

What sort of place and for how long. Well done btw.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
What sort of place and for how long. Well done btw.

thank you! it's at a small solicitor's firm near me and it's from 1 August - 5 August :biggrin: your idea of using a law society site was how i found them, btw, so thanks very much for that!
(edited 8 years ago)
When on TSR never give you real names imo, so maybe remove their name. Well done for finding one, id suggest you leep on looking and get a few more if you can in different areas, which will help you contrast and see different aspects.

Remember they are busy, but they like you to ask questions, be polite, discreet and interested. I was thinking and I dont think I got any experience before I applied.
Far from being too late, OP, you're about two years too early for it to be necessary.
Original post by laura.parkinson

This is wildly incorrect. It's quite unusual to secure law firm experience before going to university, even for people at top sets/firms, and your experience at that stage will be of limited use anyway because (a) you are at too early a stage to get really involved in doing anything and (b) you will have plenty of opportunities to do more relevant vacation schemes and/or mini-pupillages before applying for positions anyway.

Oh, alright then, congrats.
Reply 14
When on TSR never give you real names imo, so maybe remove their name. Well done for finding one, id suggest you leep on looking and get a few more if you can in different areas, which will help you contrast and see different aspects.

Remember they are busy, but they like you to ask questions, be polite, discreet and interested. I was thinking and I dont think I got any experience before I applied.

ahh, thanks for the advice, i've removed the name. :smile: yeah, i was gonna keep on looking for others so that i could have some experience for october too, i'll look for firms in different areas as well (well i mean, considering that most firms don't reply i'll have to look in lots of different areas anyway, haha) polite, discreet and interested, got it! have you any other tips for getting the most out of work experience?
Reply 15
Original post by TimmonaPortella
This is wildly incorrect. It's quite unusual to secure law firm experience before going to university, even for people at top sets/firms, and your experience at that stage will be of limited use anyway because (a) you are at too early a stage to get really involved in doing anything and (b) you will have plenty of opportunities to do more relevant vacation schemes and/or mini-pupillages before applying for positions anyway.

Oh, alright then, congrats.

thank you! naahh, i know i won't do anything apart from photocopying and sorting files, but it's just nice to have something to bulk up my CV and/or my personal statement (... if that's the kind of thing you're supposed to put in there, anyway)
Just be interested in what they do, that makes it feel worthwhile for them. Find out what they do and why they enjoy their jobs plus any advice they have. Eberyone wnats legal experience becayse its so competitive, so you did well.

By polite I mean dont be rude as its a place of work, by discreet I mean remembe they cna be dealing with confidential information and soemthings which affect clients, interested because its where you have asked to be. You might be given a file to read, read it and try to get an idea. they wont always have time for you. be respectful of everyone be they secretary , doorman, office boy etc. .

Youll be fine and it will be very quick, most likely youll sit in a few departments. Yu dont need a suit, but shirt and ie or smart casual wll be fine.
have a look at their website before and see the departments. It will impress them if you know what they do. Obviously closer to the time though.
Reply 17
Just be interested in what they do, that makes it feel worthwhile for them. Find out what they do and why they enjoy their jobs plus any advice they have. Eberyone wnats legal experience becayse its so competitive, so you did well.

By polite I mean dont be rude as its a place of work, by discreet I mean remembe they cna be dealing with confidential information and soemthings which affect clients, interested because its where you have asked to be. You might be given a file to read, read it and try to get an idea. they wont always have time for you. be respectful of everyone be they secretary , doorman, office boy etc. .

Youll be fine and it will be very quick, most likely youll sit in a few departments. Yu dont need a suit, but shirt and ie or smart casual wll be fine.
have a look at their website before and see the departments. It will impress them if you know what they do. Obviously closer to the time though.

thanks so much for the advice! :biggrin: yeah, i'm very grateful i managed to find any kind of work experience tbh because its ridiculously hard to get experience for law unless you do it like six months in advance

thanks to all that replied as well :h:
I'd imagine it hard becayse you are of little use to them and get in the way, so its a favour. times have changed, but the big time for work experience was second year of uni becayse thats when a lo of TC's are decided. Your getting a head start and this will help with the PS.
Reply 19
I'd imagine it hard becayse you are of little use to them and get in the way, so its a favour. times have changed, but the big time for work experience was second year of uni becayse thats when a lo of TC's are decided. Your getting a head start and this will help with the PS.

ahaha, yeah, i'm aware i'm pretty much useless at this stage, and that i won't be doing anything significant/interesting in the work experience i get :smile: still, headstarts are always nice! oh man, and if it helps with the ps that would be just ideal since honestly that's something i'm really dreading :s but hey, work experience should help give it some padding

Quick Reply

Latest