The Student Room Group

Scared to drive :/

Hey everyone,
so my parents have offered to pay for me to have driving lessons however I am petrified. Road rage put me off driving completely. Everyone seems so angry and frustrated on the road especially during rush hour mornings with heavy traffic. My parents are super excited and are even making arrangements to buy my first car though I haven't begun any lessons. I want to drive one day however this fear won't allow me.
Practice driving at quieter times and develop your confidence. Do you live in a city?
Reply 2
Original post by YaliaV
Practice driving at quieter times and develop your confidence. Do you live in a city?

Will try this. Yea I do.
Reply 3
Well i dont blame you for being scared. When you see whats out there,,well its a normal reaction.

I drive all the time both privately and at work. I drive at all hours and in all conditions.

Now one of the great safeguards of driving is that no matter how many useless moronic and incompetent drivers there are out there, they all mostly have an over riding desire NOT to crash into anyone.

Why? well it damages their precious car, causes delays and costs money aside from matters of lesser importance such as injury and death.

I drive within the law and in quite a sedate manner. You will find that the morons just flow around you as if you are in a bubble. Let them race,speed,drive poorly.

Who cares?

As long as they dont bump you,thats the important bit.

A dashcam is useful.
You learn to drive for the skill mainly, its like a education of some sort

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cherry82
Hey everyone,
so my parents have offered to pay for me to have driving lessons however I am petrified. Road rage put me off driving completely. Everyone seems so angry and frustrated on the road especially during rush hour mornings with heavy traffic. My parents are super excited and are even making arrangements to buy my first car though I haven't begun any lessons. I want to drive one day however this fear won't allow me.

Hey :smile: I totally get what you mean, I only started driving recently and it does actually really scare me! Though it probably doesn't help that there are no quite roads near where I live (most of them are all double parked) I strongly recommend having lessons as originally my dad tried to teach me and it didn't end well

I think after your first few lessons you wont feel as nervous, because sitting in the driving seat for the first time is petrifying!
This fear of driving controlled me for nearly 2 years :eek: but once you go ahead and book a lesson and know that you have no turning back, you will feel alright about it. It is really important that you get on with your instructor and they make you feel confident at the wheel. If you are worried about driving in peak times, book your lessons when the road is quieter for now and then when you become more confident, book them in the busier times. :smile:
It gets better lesson after lesson.
Reply 8
Original post by Limpopo
Well i dont blame you for being scared. When you see whats out there,,well its a normal reaction.

I drive all the time both privately and at work. I drive at all hours and in all conditions.

Now one of the great safeguards of driving is that no matter how many useless moronic and incompetent drivers there are out there, they all mostly have an over riding desire NOT to crash into anyone.

Why? well it damages their precious car, causes delays and costs money aside from matters of lesser importance such as injury and death.

I drive within the law and in quite a sedate manner. You will find that the morons just flow around you as if you are in a bubble. Let them race,speed,drive poorly.

Who cares?

As long as they dont bump you,thats the important bit.

A dashcam is useful.

Wow so you have lots of experience with driving :smile: Thanks for your advice. This was extremely helpful. I'm actually now thinking of saving up for a dashcam because this would seriously make me feel more comfortable while on the road.
Reply 9
Original post by Amellia123
Hey :smile: I totally get what you mean, I only started driving recently and it does actually really scare me! Though it probably doesn't help that there are no quite roads near where I live (most of them are all double parked) I strongly recommend having lessons as originally my dad tried to teach me and it didn't end well

I think after your first few lessons you wont feel as nervous, because sitting in the driving seat for the first time is petrifying!

Ah, I'm happy you and others understand me lol I thought for a second I was being a drama queen and irrational. Yea initially my mother wanted to teach me how to drive aha I was just like mum I love you but no thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by moment of truth
This fear of driving controlled me for nearly 2 years :eek: but once you go ahead and book a lesson and know that you have no turning back, you will feel alright about it. It is really important that you get on with your instructor and they make you feel confident at the wheel. If you are worried about driving in peak times, book your lessons when the road is quieter for now and then when you become more confident, book them in the busier times. :smile:

Two years?!!! Wow. Much respect for overcoming your fear, I'm sure it wasn't easy. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Lol, I can just imagine my first lesson. The way experienced drivers react to learners sometimes is super daunting. I remember one morning when me and siblings were being driven to college/school. There was a learner in front of us, two cars down and the people behind the learner peeped the crap out of their cars because the learner was driving cautiously slow. Even my own mother showed no consideration towards the person learning and I just thought yea I get everyone has somewhere they are rushing too however that was them at one point. Instead everyone just sped past cursing. It was then I thought yea I'm not driving in the mornings or ever. I guess I just have to ignore negative reactions.
Ah, I'm happy you and others understand me lol I thought for a second I was being a drama queen and irrational. Yea initially my mother wanted to teach me how to drive aha I was just like mum I love you but no thanks.

Of course not - its so scary!! Haha I know what you mean - they do say that you should never have a family member teach you how to drive! My mum I fine, but my dad gets really wound up when I cant do it :rofl:
Two years?!!! Wow. Much respect for overcoming your fear, I'm sure it wasn't easy. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Lol, I can just imagine my first lesson. The way experienced drivers react to learners sometimes is super daunting. I remember one morning when me and siblings were being driven to college/school. There was a learner in front of us, two cars down and the people behind the learner peeped the crap out of their cars because the learner was driving cautiously slow. Even my own mother showed no consideration towards the person learning and I just thought yea I get everyone has somewhere they are rushing too however that was them at one point. Instead everyone just sped past cursing. It was then I thought yea I'm not driving in the mornings or ever. I guess I just have to ignore negative reactions.

It wasn't easy, but I made it! :biggrin: I now love driving :lol:

I know that feeling, and yeah it is daunting. Most, if not all, instructors will take you to an estate where it is fairly quiet on the road so for your first few lessons there aren't that many cars around. Only when they feel you are confident and good enough will they then take you on the main road and they will guide you through it cause they know how daunting it is.

I am by no means a perfect driver and make a lot of mistakes, but you learn from them and as a learner, with your instructor in the car, they will hopefully not make you feel that bad about them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending