The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by birdie95
I applied to this on a total whim and am absolutely flabbergasted I've gotten to the AC, now I am so anxious for the group work! What kind of presentation do they ask for? Is anyone else going to the London centre? I'm closer to Manchester but picked London as I've never been to the former and being in a strange city would shred my nerves to pieces! Also how are you meant to dress - I'm guessing businesswear but not too formal?

I'll be in London too. Assuming businesswear is appropriate, but want to be comfortable too so think I'll wear a smart yet not too fitted dress
Ww, just went to book on, haven't been able to do it up until now. Not many spaces left!! I'd suggest anyone that's not done it yet get on it!!
I'm surprisingly chilled about the assessment centre. I was reading a thread from a few years back and it is the actual interviews with the councils where I'll start worrying assuming I get that far. That is when the pressure is on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nightwing_
Ww, just went to book on, haven't been able to do it up until now. Not many spaces left!! I'd suggest anyone that's not done it yet get on it!!

Think the email said the latest you can possibly do it is the 14th anyway right?! Congrats for getting through :smile:
well my assessment is a week today. If I'm eventually spat out I'll post up here a post on what attending the assessment centre is like. If not an interview for an entry level job is the prize.
Anyone doing their assessment centre this week? Good luck if so!

Any ideas when they'll let people know? I assume they will wait until we are all done first?
Anyone doing their assessment centre this week? Good luck if so!

Any ideas when they'll let people know? I assume they will wait until we are all done first?

I'm doing mine on Friday! Will let you all know how it goes. I assume so too, it will probably be a while before they let everyone know I reckon.
Original post by birdie95
I'm doing mine on Friday! Will let you all know how it goes. I assume so too, it will probably be a while before they let everyone know I reckon.

Just had a look at the FAQs and apparently they let everyone know on the 6th April, so really not that long after the ACs.

My AC date seems to be the only one that still has plenty of places remaining, seems weird, don't know if this will be beneficial or detrimental - probably neither to be fair!!!
Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the stability of this position? Although I'm certain that once started funding won't be cut, as local authorities come under ever increasing pressure to cut and save do you think it's likely there will be any jobs available afterwards? It's just a part of me worries that after relocating and 2 years of training I might end up in a similar position to now where I am looking to change industries, not something I'd relish the thought of!!! Obviously I realise this is more a question for the local interview panels, but just thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas??
Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the stability of this position? Although I'm certain that once started funding won't be cut, as local authorities come under ever increasing pressure to cut and save do you think it's likely there will be any jobs available afterwards? It's just a part of me worries that after relocating and 2 years of training I might end up in a similar position to now where I am looking to change industries, not something I'd relish the thought of!!! Obviously I realise this is more a question for the local interview panels, but just thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas??

I think it will be ok. There is always going to be some need i guess it depends exactly what area you are hoping to get in to. My friend works in a counsel and she knows people on the pregame and is really positive about it so i doubt there get ride of it if its working. Moor long term I do worry a little that we will always be fighting for are jobs in another round of cuts but policies change, consoles have been around a long time and i can't see them going anyway.
Hello - well done to everyone who go through to the assessment centre. I'm just wondering if anybody has found any useful online resources to be used in terms of preparation for the assessment centre? Any more information about what to expect on the day etc.
Lots of stuf on the http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3396099&page=163 . It's a long thread thow and each center is different but I took that one tow and found reading through some of the comments on that thread helpful/ reassuring. I think u want comments about December time dthat helps you narrow down where to look.
(edited 8 years ago)
Assessment centre tomorrow.

Birth certificate (just realised passport is a month out of date - over £70 to renew :angry:), NI card, calculator, pen and notebook are ready.

Just hope it isn't a wasted trip. I'll give it all I can. I am capable of working in local govt both in terms of academics and work experience. It is just getting through all these hoops isn't it. Good luck everyone.

If I get through imagine falling at the interview stage after all this...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 3458349058349053
Assessment centre tomorrow.

Birth certificate (just realised passport is a month out of date - over £70 to renew :angry:), NI card, calculator, pen and notebook are ready.

Just hope it isn't a wasted trip. I'll give it all I can. I am capable of working in local govt both in terms of academics and work experience. It is just getting through all these hoops isn't it. Good luck everyone.

If I get through imagine falling at the interview stage after all this...

Hey, good luck!!!

I do think they feel like hoops sometimes, but I guess they are hoops designed to work out if you actually are capable of working in local government!! Either way - just got to be done I guess!!
Well I had the assessment centre today. Can't really talk about it yet but an interesting factoid was that there are still 288 in contention so don't get your hopes up or anything. Not sure I can really say too much without helping those still to sit it but results are 8th or 11th of April so I will be forgetting about the NGDP till then. Not sure if I've done enough or not but was weird coming face to face with (a) people who had also invested hours in this process already (b) people who had travelled hundreds of miles to attend th AC. If anything it depressed me about the state of the jobs market.

All I will say is everyone seemed to be from a decent - and by that I mean RG uni - and frankly councils could easily hire everyone that has got to this stage if there was the money about and they would not be disapointed. Shame there can't be 288 trainees.

Best of luck to everyone still to sit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 3458349058349053
Well I had the assessment centre today. Can't really talk about it yet but an interesting factoid was that there are still 288 in contention so don't get your hopes up or anything. Not sure I can really say too much without helping those still to sit it but results are 8th or 11th of April so I will be forgetting about the NGDP till then. Not sure if I've done enough or not but was weird coming face to face with (a) people who had also invested hours in this process already (b) people who had travelled hundreds of miles to attend th AC. If anything it depressed me about the state of the jobs market.

All I will say is everyone seemed to be from a decent - and by that I mean RG uni - and frankly councils could easily hire everyone that has got to this stage if there was the money about and they would not be disapointed. Shame there can't be 288 trainees.

Best of luck to everyone still to sit.

Thanks for the udpate. Did they give any indication as to how many positions those 288 were going for? I guess we should be pretty pleased, thousands apply so to be down to the last 288 is actually fairly impressive! Would be more pleased with a job offer though!!!
Thanks for the udpate. Did they give any indication as to how many positions those 288 were going for? I guess we should be pretty pleased, thousands apply so to be down to the last 288 is actually fairly impressive! Would be more pleased with a job offer though!!!

No. It depends how many Councils go in this year. There is a guess figure of 110 earlier on this thread. I'll expand further once the ACs are over but I don't think I covered myself in glory on one of the tasks and my gut is I might not have done enough. I'd have far more to talk about at the actual interview stage but that is moot if I don't get there.
Original post by paddy25
Hey guys! I've noticed that they added two more assessment centre dates in London on the 1st of April (hopefully not a joke!) I find it a bit odd that they have not let us know this, but I figured it may be more convenient for some of you! For me it certainly is as I finish working abroad on 29th March - annoying as I literally just booked (admittedly very cheap) travel up to Manchester on the 30th... but I think this loss is offset by not having to take a coach for 5 hours :biggrin:

Hey Paddy, are you doing the 2pm assessment centre tomorrow? If so, that's the one I'm in. Best of luck with the assessment centre! Let me know how you get on.
Original post by Potterhead
Hey Paddy, are you doing the 2pm assessment centre tomorrow? If so, that's the one I'm in. Best of luck with the assessment centre! Let me know how you get on.

Hey!

Actually I was meant to be doing that one but then switched to the 1st at 2pm in London when they added that extra date. Best of luck though! :smile:
Well that's over!! Really hard to tell how it went to be honest, wasn't awful, but wasn't exactly like I loved it!!! Only about a week to go now though till we find out!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending