The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tengentoppa
This apologist nonsense is far more disgusting to my eyes. This idea that the actions of ISIS can be rationalised due to bigots in the west and that if we leave the middle east alone now terrorism will stop is utter nonsense. The end goal of ISIS is global conversion to Islam and death to every non-believer of their version of Islam. This is not some righteous response to western foreign policy, this is a deranged death cult.

How you can use the term race-bating when this has absolutely nothing to do with race is bemusing. I know some on the left like to bring up race as a catch-all term to shut down any argument but this is really pushing the boat out.

The fact that there are some in the West whose interpretation of Islam is a genuine threat to our society is evident. The fact that there is a huge gulf between the traditional Islamic view of the world and the enlightened western view of the world is also true. The fact that Europe's response to the refugee crisis risks aggravating that situation is also a fact.

Pointing these things out is in no way discriminatory, reactionary or reprehensible. Incidentally, those words are far more appropriate in the context of Islam.

It never ceases to amaze me how certain people on the left can be so critical of the reactionary intolerance of the hard right, and yet perfectly receptive of the far more intolerant and reactionary views of Islam. Complete cognitive dissonance.

Where did they attribute these attacks to western foreign policy?

Nobody mentioned race baiting.

The last three paragraphs of this don't have anything to do with the point that FOS had been trying to make.
Original post by Feel Tha Bern

S would you like to stop it at soyrce and be prepared to go back to a ground war with ISIS (as a start)?
Original post by 999tigger
S would you like to stop it at soyrce and be prepared to go back to a ground war with ISIS (as a start)?

If I were drafted in by the British state I would go.
(edited 8 years ago)
If I were drafted in by the state I would go.

You didnt answer the question.
You didnt answer the question.

Yes I would and like I said, if this country brought in conscription and I were called up, I would go
This apologist nonsense is far more disgusting to my eyes.

It never ceases to amaze me how certain people on the left can be so critical of the reactionary intolerance of the hard right, and yet perfectly receptive of the far more intolerant and reactionary views of Islam. Complete cognitive dissonance.

I must say it is rather amusing to see QE2 of all people being called out for being an apologist. It isn't a comment I often hear.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
While you might expect more of a 50/50 gender split, his conclusion that they can't possible be refugees as they're male and are thus infact jihadists seems to be a logical leap.

Reasons might include the fact that women and children are less likely to survive the trip, men might feel that they are better able to survive the dangerous journey and it is harder to take care of a family compared to an individual.

So where are the women and children? Have those most in danger been left back in the hot zone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I would and like I said, if this country brought in conscription and I were called up, I would go

My question had nothing to do with conscription. We have a professional army what use would conscription be as we cant equip our current forces properly.
Original post by The Epicurean
I must say it is rather amusing to see QE2 of all people being called out for being an apologist. It isn't a comment I often hear.

I know, I couldn't believe it either. Almost choked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slipandsquirm
So where are the women and children? Have those most in danger been left back in the hot zone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Back in the camps, back in the country.
My question had nothing to do with conscription. We have a professional army what use would conscription be as we cant equip our current forces properly.

Then in that case, the answer is yes, very simple

I'm just proving the point that I dislike it when people are over-eager for war when it isn't them or their sons going off to die.

We have a volunteer armed forces. You're perfectly at liberty to begin your application right now, why wait for conscription?
Original post by Drewski
We have a volunteer armed forces. You're perfectly at liberty to begin your application right now, why wait for conscription?

They won't go to Syria because this is a war weary nation.
Then in that case, the answer is yes, very simple

I'm just proving the point that I dislike it when people are over-eager for war when it isn't them or their sons going off to die.

Its an annoying trait when you ask one question and the person decides to answer a different one.

The UK doesnt really have the ability to wage a land war afainst ISIS it doesnt have the troops.

There is no political and I believe punlic opinion would not be in favour of war becayse people die and they have had enough of going to war.

We also cnat afford one.
Reply 374
This apologist nonsense is far more disgusting to my eyes. This idea that the actions of ISIS can be rationalised due to bigots in the west and that if we leave the middle east alone now terrorism will stop is utter nonsense. The end goal of ISIS is global conversion to Islam and death to every non-believer of their version of Islam. This is not some righteous response to western foreign policy, this is a deranged death cult.

How you can use the term race-bating when this has absolutely nothing to do with race is bemusing. I know some on the left like to bring up race as a catch-all term to shut down any argument but this is really pushing the boat out.

The fact that there are some in the West whose interpretation of Islam is a genuine threat to our society is evident. The fact that there is a huge gulf between the traditional Islamic view of the world and the enlightened western view of the world is also true. The fact that Europe's response to the refugee crisis risks aggravating that situation is also a fact.

Pointing these things out is in no way discriminatory, reactionary or reprehensible. Incidentally, those words are far more appropriate in the context of Islam.

You seem to have mistaken me for someone else.
I absolutely agree that the aims of certain islamist groups is a global caliphate under strict sharia based on a literal interpretation of the Quran and sunnah.

As I said, the purpose of these attacks is not to bring the West to the negotiating table, or to secure withdrawal of forces. It is simply to engender a climate of fear and mistrust between Muslim communities and host nations, which they think will make more civil unrest more likely, thus furthering their agenda. The fact that other Asians or North Africans are caught up in the standoff is of little consequence to either the Islamists, or those racist xenophobes who use the situation to further their own agenda, and thus distracting those in the middle ground from the actual issue (there is nothing the liberal left fears more than accusations of racism).
Original post by Slipandsquirm
Not this again :tongue: you think we should treat this as simply as muslims who will commit a terrorist act and the ones who won't?

You can't make such a simple divide like that. What about the millions who have similar views and even support these terrorists? They are just as important in breeding the environment which Islamic terrorism grows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I think we should.

There are extremist Muslims and non-extremist Muslims. What's the issue here?

And there's no actual evidence that millions and millions of Muslims support their actions.
#StopIslam is now trending worldwide on Twitter.
Original post by NickLCFC
#StopIslam is now trending worldwide on Twitter.

Education for you:wink:
Reply 378
Original post by The Epicurean
Yep. Made me reasses my entire position!
Then I looked at what I had written and realised that TT had misunderstood me.
Phew!
Original post by Rk2k14
Education for you:wink:

To be fair, it's mostly trending because of people complaining about the hashtag.

Latest

Trending

Trending