The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RIP, btw i knew it was going to kick off...
Original post by NK18444
There's nothing "islamic" about a terror attack

Perhaps not, but there's certainly something Islamist about this one.

This was true then, and it's true now.
Original post by Frank Underwood
So no source then?

That's a shame, I was looking forward to dismantling the daily mail / daily express article you were bound to send me.

For which claim as you have moved the goal posts was if for the first one or the second one

but as I said you have already been given this but choose to ignore it already

But here is a Pew report

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01/concerns-about-islamic-extremism-on-the-rise-in-middle-east/pg-2014-07-01-islamic-extremism-10/

Fell free to 'dismantle' it

But as you will ignore in one Muslim country alone there is 20 million Muslims who believe suicide bombing is often\sometimes justified against civilians in the defense of Islam
Are the No true scotsman here yet?
Yes, I think we should.

There are extremist Muslims and non-extremist Muslims. What's the issue here?

And there's no actual evidence that millions and millions of Muslims support their actions.

Well there's no talking to a simpleton. Keep talking to others as though they are racist, far right wingers for disagreeing though. It makes the forum fun.

Buuuuut. Wait. How do you define extremist muslims? It's arbitrary to define them by actions. Of course, that supports you assertion that far less than 1% of muslims are extreme. But, that means that the millions of muslims worldwide who view terrorism as acceptable, apostates to be killed etc - though don't act on it! Are to be considered non-extremist.

How lovely.

Ofcourse there is. Start with Pew, who gathered opinion polls throughout the middle east and North Africa. That will get you millions right there with 'non extremist views'.

There were also evidence of extreme views with British, French and Belgian muslims but I don't think they are Pew. Check the ones for American muslims also.

Though, I already know your reply.

'That's poppycock. We know less than 1% of muslims are extremists' :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by holmes221
Are the No true scotsman here yet?

What does that mean? : )
Original post by QE2
Using this recent survey
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/17/in-nations-with-significant-muslim-populations-much-disdain-for-isis/

And using only Pakistan, Senegal, Malaysia, Nigeria and Turkey, the figures show that in those countries alone, about 50 million people have a "favourable opinion" of ISIS.

QED

Sympathy or favourable opinions does not mean they are terrorists. You can have a favourable opinion of something without being a terrorist.
Original post by Aceadria
You disappoint me:

Religion of Peace™

One cannot forget the trademark.

Sorry you're right I forgot the (tm)

expecting a angry letter in the post
Original post by BaconandSauce
For which claim as you have moved the goal posts was if for the first one or the second one

but as I said you have already been given this but choose to ignore it already

But here is a Pew report

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01/concerns-about-islamic-extremism-on-the-rise-in-middle-east/pg-2014-07-01-islamic-extremism-10/

Fell free to 'dismantle' it

But as you will ignore in one Muslim country alone there is 20 million Muslims who believe suicide bombing is often\sometimes justified against civilians in the defense of Islam

I don't see anywhere a quoted number of Muslims asked. Therefore it is not necessarily a representative source. And another Pew article which I linked earlier suggested that every country strongly condemned ISIS.

Not to mention that the survey says "sometimes" as its most extreme option.

I bet you if the survey said "always" then the percentile would be much smaller.
Sympathy or favourable opinions does not mean they are terrorists. You can have a favourable opinion of something without being a terrorist.

Your original claim was 'support for'

you keep moving those goal posts
I don't see anywhere a quoted number of Muslims asked. Therefore it is not necessarily a representative source. And another Pew article which I linked earlier suggested that every country strongly condemned ISIS.

Not to mention that the survey says "sometimes" as its most extreme option.

I bet you if the survey said "always" then the percentile would be much smaller.

Yet you claim one person is all you need to KNOW what ISIS want:biggrin:

(6.5 million * 0.03) = 19500 (Jordan)
(~1.7 million * 0.06) = 102,000 (Palestine)
(250 million * 0.04) = 10,000,000 (Indonesia)
(75 million * 0.08) = 6,000,000 (Turkey)
(173 million * 0.14) = 24,220,000 (Nigeria)
(17 million * 0.08) = 1,360,000 (Burkina Faso)
(30 million * 0.11) = 3,300,000 (Malaysia)
(14 million * 0.11) = 1,540,000 (Senegal)
(182 million * 0.09) = 16,380,000 (Pakistan)

Ah, just 62,921,500 ISIS supporters from this selection of 9 countries then. Not to mention the VAST amount of people that 'dont know'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Slipandsquirm
Well there's no talking to a simpleton. Keep talking to others as though they are racist, far right wingers for disagreeing though. It makes the forum fun.

Buuuuut. Wait. How do you define extremist muslims? It's arbitrary to define them by actions. Of course, that supports you assertion that far less than 1% of muslims are extreme. But, that means that the millions of muslims worldwide who view terrorism as acceptable, apostates to be killed etc - though don't act on it! Are to be considered non-extremist.

How lovely.

Ofcourse there is. Start with Pew, who gathered opinion polls throughout the middle east and North Africa. That will get you millions right there with 'non extremist views'.

There were also evidence of extreme views with British, French and Belgian muslims but I don't think they are Pew. Check the ones for American muslims also.

Though, I already know your reply.

'That's poppycock. We know less than 1% of muslims are extremists' :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what? Extremism is fine as long as it isn't acted upon. We have extremist right-wing people in the UK who will never ever act out their views in the forms of attacks.

But if you support the killing of apostates and the killing of non muslims through terrorist attacks - I can't see how you can defend them as 'non extremist'.

Please explain to me how. (Don't forget to include why it's important to only take into account the ones will the balls to blow themselves up. Like ignore the women in the family who raised money through a bogus charity to fund terrorism a few years back. Or the prevalence in these views in muslim communities and mosques)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 414
Yes.
And that shows that in just five of those countries, 50 million people have a "favourable opinion" of ISIS.
Thus providing the evidence that you were after.

BTW, you may have noticed several other reports coming up. One of those shows support for Sharia as the offical law at up to 90% in some countries, and above 50% in many.
Support for sharia - by definition, due to the nature of its content - is an extreme position. Therefore, the majority of those populations hold extreme views.
(It also shows other things, like 29% of Egyptians considering that suicide bombing is often/sometimes justified)
http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/

So yes, the evidence does support the claim that a significant minority to a majority of Muslims support extremism.
Original post by NickLCFC
(6.5 million * 0.03) = 19500 (Jordan)
(~1.7 million * 0.06) = 102,000 (Palestine)
(250 million * 0.04) = 10,000,000 (Indonesia)
(75 million * 0.08) = 6,000,000 (Turkey)
(173 million * 0.14) = 24,220,000 (Nigeria)
(17 million * 0.08) = 1,360,000 (Burkina Faso)
(30 million * 0.11) = 3,300,000 (Malaysia)
(14 million * 0.11) = 1,540,000 (Senegal)
(182 million * 0.09) = 16,380,000 (Pakistan)

Ah, just 62,921,500 ISIS supporters from this selection of 9 countries then.

You're being an idiot for thinking that favourable opinion = ISIS supporter

Not to mention that this was a sampled survey, extrapolating the statistics to the entire population is mathematically stupid.
Original post by QE2
Using this recent survey
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/17/in-nations-with-significant-muslim-populations-much-disdain-for-isis/

And using only Pakistan, Senegal, Malaysia, Nigeria and Turkey, the figures show that in those countries alone, about 50 million people have a "favourable opinion" of ISIS.

QED

I can't rep on the app. But :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slipandsquirm
Seems strange. Are the camps safe? Then why would the capable men in the family leave? If they are not safe, why did the mothers and fathers act how you would expect - do whatever they can to give their children the best chance?

Really, part of the answer is, of course, many men weren't from Syria. Didn't have kids in a war zone but we're economic migrants from other areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Safer than being in a country undergoing civl war, so its relative. Plenty of child expo=loitation going on n the camps.

Perhps some leave becayse they are single and can, some have lost their families, some move with their fmailies and others promise to send for them.

Undoubtably many of the asylum seekers are economic migrants, about 2/3 of them. I dont believe anyone has said they are all genuine cases. I cnat blame them for wnating a better life.

What is needed is fast processing so the non genuine refugees are returned as quickly as possible.
Original post by QE2
Yes.
And that shows that in just five of those countries, 50 million people have a "favourable opinion" of ISIS.
Thus providing the evidence that you were after.

BTW, you may have noticed several other reports coming up. One of those shows support for Sharia as the offical law at up to 90% in some countries, and above 50% in many.
Support for sharia - by definition, due to the nature of its content - is an extreme position. Therefore, the majority of those populations hold extreme views.
(It also shows other things, like 29% of Egyptians considering that suicide bombing is often/sometimes justified)
http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/

So yes, the evidence does support the calim that a significant minority to a majority of Muslims support extremism.

I can't believe I have to spell this out to you people.

Favourable opinion does not mean they are terrorists or ISIS supporters.

That's from the same set of surveys you are currently trying to dismiss :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending