The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slipandsquirm
Just to point out this was but one question among many throughout the middle east and North Africa. I don't think you're point is completely unreasonable, though Pew may have answered your question already by explaining they polling. However, many countries who do have the neccessary equipment for the average man to take the poll exist in the area, so it's probably not strong enough to place much doubt on the results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do understand where you're coming from!
Do you have any Muslim friends or relatives, do they know anyone that holds extremist views or has done anything terror related?
I do stand by my belief that British muslims are level-headed as they've not had first hand experience of brutality, injustice or war due to foreign policy. So quite honestly I don't think that their are many young terrorist sympathisers in established counties such as Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi, Britain etc.
It takes a person with extreme psychopathic tendencies to do half of the stuff that ISIS does and I can't imagine how they manipulate it into the words of Islam and get people to believe it, but really as much as I can debate and share my views I don't think that those that believe that a significant population of muslims hold extreme views is going to change their outlook on normal muslim folk walking down the street. We're not all bad, I promise :frown:
Peace and love

NK
Original post by xxvine
Moslem? Wtf?

Nope
I'm Catholic. What does it matter what religion I am anyways lol?

lol at 'listen to them'. What does what they say matter...it's clearly propaganda rubbish. Just because they say something doesn't mean it's true. They can say they are doing it in the name of religion all they like. Doesn't mean anything!

Why does some Catholic girl understand Islam better than actual Muslims who believe their actions are Islamic? :dunce:
Original post by xxvine
Moslem? Wtf?

Nope
I'm Catholic. What does it matter what religion I am anyways lol?

lol at 'listen to them'. What does what they say matter...it's clearly propaganda rubbish. Just because they say something doesn't mean it's true. They can say they are doing it in the name of religion all they like. Doesn't mean anything!

what's wrong with moslem?

Because your trying to downplay the religion aspect of this atrocity

It matters as it's their justification
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
Why does some Catholic girl understand Islam better than actual Muslims who believe their actions are Islamic? :dunce:

I suspect we'll never know
Original post by NicklLCFC
We need to:

- stop any migration by muslims, just like some Eastern European countries have already done
- instantly deport anyone with links to terrorism or jihad sentiment
- and eventually deport any muslims who dont pass tests to prove they've integrated into the UK

How would you tell who is Muslim?
Original post by mariachi
you raise many points, some correct, some exaggerated

however, it is true that Islam, as a political ideology, should be opposed with the strongest determination, just like the "West" opposed communism and fascism

Are some of my points exaggerated?
Original post by MrDystopia
Rather unsurprisingly, IS have claimed responsibility of the attack.

Lol @ the guy earlier in the thread getting mad at me for saying I thought it was ISIS.
Original post by BaconandSauce
what's wrong with moslem?

Because your trying to downplay the religion aspect of this atrocity

It matters as it's their justification

Moslem?
I'm not downplaying it. I am just saying in my opinions terrorists attach religion to justify their actions as being relgious but I don't think they are relgious to begin with
Reply 508
Original post by Frank Underwood
Yes Muslims should denounce them more strongly, but at the same time people should stop blaming 1.5 billion people for the actions of less than 1,500.
Nobody (reasonable) is blaming all Muslims for the actions of the extremists (tens of thousands of them BTW).
However, they are expected to take a realistic approach to the influence that Islamic ideology has on them. Simply saying "They are not Muslims" and "It has nothing to do with Islam" makes it appear as thought they are simply denying reality and avoiding a difficult issue.

The problem is, when people have been brought up on a sanitised version of Islam that is not supported by the actual content of the Quran and sunnah, they find it difficult to accept the truth. That all the nasty stuff is in there along with the nice stuff that was cherry-picked for them. So they will execute (pardon the pun) all sorts of aplolgetic gymnastics and intellectual chicanery in order to distance themselves from their unacceptable relatives.

However, they steadfastly refuse to take the one step that would actually make a difference, to reject the passages that can be used to justify the killing, oppression and discrimination.

That's an awful comeback.
If a muslim denounced IS raised the same points as the Catholic girl, would you then concede your point?
I appreciate you're trying to make a point but seriously that's a horrible argument

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BaconandSauce
I suspect we'll never know

I don't want to call it ''racism'' because it seems like a cheap shot, but there is a weird mentality in Europe where White people genuinely think the rest of world wants to live like them. Salah Abdeslam was a hero is community simply for going on a shooting rampage, not everyone wants to get married, get a dog and have a couple of children.
Original post by xxvine
How would you tell who is Muslim?

It will be easier than you think.

The government has census information + there's teh electoral register + migrants already have to register with the home office, and there are also means to cross-reference across other information databases.
Original post by Marco1
A lot of talk about Muslims being pro IS or not. This is irrelevant really. Islam always advanced itself globally, not by preaching but by conquest i.e. by military force ( or by political 'soft jihad' from within it's borders). That is fact. IS are like the military front of Islam of those who are willing and able to fight jihad in the name of Allah to promote the spread of Islam. Not all Muslims are up for the fight, not all are capable, but there are plenty of young guys who are willing. Central to Islam, taught to young Muslim girls and boys, is that it is every Muslim's duty to fight in the name of Allah against the unbeliever until they submit to Islam or are verily subdued. The question so many people waste time with is not about whether all Muslims are dangerous. The important question is whether this political religion's ideology is dangerous?

"whoso kills a soul, unless it be for murder or for wreaking corruption in the land, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind; and he who saves a life, it shall be as if he had given life to all mankind.”

"to you is your religion and to me is my religion"- basically encouraging muslims to allow others to practice freely- Quran

Peace and love

NK
Original post by chemting
That's an awful comeback.
If a muslim denounced IS raised the same points as the Catholic girl, would you then concede your point?
I appreciate you're trying to make a point but seriously that's a horrible argument

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you fail to understand is that there is no one ''Islam'', it's a collection of broad ideas based on the Qur'an and Hadiths.

Some Muslims think that Allah wishes for Muslims to be loving and tolerant, some Muslims believe Allah wants the Ummah to eliminate all non-Muslims, it's problematic though because unlike Christianity which is based on the teachings of a rebellious pacifist Jewish hippy, Islam is based on a 7th century warrior king.
Original post by NK18444
"whoso kills a soul, unless it be for murder or for wreaking corruption in the land, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind; and he who saves a life, it shall be as if he had given life to all mankind.”

"to you is your religion and to me is my religion"- basically encouraging muslims to allow others to practice freely- Quran

Peace and love

NK

You offer a peaceful Quran quote yet you avoid to use one of the many quotes which urge the exact opposite - i.e. murderous violence against unbelievers. Do you want me to rattle some off?
Original post by The_Opinion
It has everything to do with religion.

Did Hitlers acts have anything to do with Catholicism?
Did Myra Hindley and Ian Brady's acts have anything to do with Christianity?
These inhumane idiots have a warped perception of religion. Terrorism is not Islamic or Christian.

Peace and love

NK
I don't want to call it ''racism'' because it seems like a cheap shot, but there is a weird mentality in Europe where White people genuinely think the rest of world wants to live like them. Salah Abdeslam was a hero is community simply for going on a shooting rampage, not everyone wants to get married, get a dog and have a couple of children.

More naivety I think.

Her 'beliefs' seem to hold more weight that the actual facts which is something I'm seeing more of in recent school leavers
Original post by NK18444

NK

Give the full quote and then the verse that follows it
To give a less controversial example, Catholics believe that wine miraculously turns into the blood of Jesus, Protestants don't but both are still Christians.
Original post by Marco1
You offer a peaceful Quran quote yet you avoid to use one of the many quotes which urge the exact opposite - i.e. murderous violence against unbelievers. Do you want me to rattle some off?

It's only peaceful as it's for the children of Israel the next verse is for Muslims.

Latest

Trending

Trending