The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Presumably because context is important?

The context of what?
West Ham have taken over a stadium which was built for the Olympics. It would've been a white elephant otherwise just standing around barely being used.

Spurs are paying for their own stadium rebuild as far as I'm aware? Going to cost them like £700mil.

dat commercial awareness doe :coma:
Original post by ozzyoscy
The context of what?

That there are no quality strikers available :colondollar:

Original post by swirly
dat commercial awareness doe :coma:

Swiss ramble is a very good read if you care about finances for football clubs.

Yeah I just discovered that. Read a really good piece on why Arsenal would struggle so much without Wenger. Because he's the last of a dying breed. There aren't football managers like him anymore. To replace him you would need a director of football and the backroom staff associated with that role, as well as a new manager.
It's an interesting one. Where most owners would give in to media/fan pressure, I think Arsenal/Wenger are the one club which it won't happen. Kroenke and the board value Wenger too much.

Will the pressure get enough which forces Wenger to resign? Perhaps.

The lack of pressure from the board on Wenger is understandable (whether it's acceptable is another matter), Wenger term at Arsenal is a very unique situation, It's easy to see why they'd never push him out: He's a legend of the game and he managed the club consistently through a challenging period where, CL qualification was the primary objective and in turn made the the value of Arsenal's share steadily increase.

He's theoretically made them millions. They're giving him the benefit of the doubt, considering all the things he's done for the club that's fair enough. The accusations that the board were only interested in 4th place was true at that time, I think it's much different now, they want to be successful on all fronts. Our board is comprised of very successful business men and below them highly qualified commercial officers, they're not blind to the correlation between that on pitch success results in better commercial deals.

Our Transfer policy is reflective of how Wenger feels about his role at the club. He's more than a manager he's a custodian, he feels a greater need to get better deals for the club, sometimes that results in disadvantage for us in the market. It's something I feel will definitely change post Wenger. I don't think future managers here will not be constrained by the board in any way.
Original post by swirly
Yeah I just discovered that. Read a really good piece on why Arsenal would struggle so much without Wenger. Because he's the last of a dying breed. There aren't football managers like him anymore. To replace him you would need a director of football and the backroom staff associated with that role, as well as a new manager.

The guy who writes it is actually an Arsenal fan so there are more pieces on them.

Interesting that Arsenal have all these new big commercial deals but the actual rate of growth of the commercial revenues is lower than the other big English clubs which means the gap is actually getting wider.

I think that's right. There's just too much to do at a football club these days for a manager to be able to do everything. The other issue is that a manager's role is now very short term focused whereas you need some balance to look more medium/long term.
Reply 6247
Original post by swirly
wait can someone explain to me why we had to pay for a whole new stadium, and West Ham and Spurs are getting 60k stadiums for free :confused:

TV deals are making it massively easier for them, compared to when we did it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1
TV deals are making it massively easier for them, compared to when we did it

Posted from TSR Mobile

we build new stadium

we make it 100k

pls
Reply 6249
Original post by swirly
we build new stadium

we make it 100k

pls

Huh
Original post by SA-1
Huh

we must build bigger stadium

marble urinals

make it happen
We need to f*ck the North Bank prayer room off so that Moh stops going to the Emirates.
Reply 6252
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
We need to f*ck the North Bank prayer room off so that Moh stops going to the Emirates.

**** off

Is there actually a prayer room :rofl:

No wonder why there's never a reply to "we're the clock end Highbury"

Posted from TSR Mobile
lads lads lads

lyrical prodigy is a mod!?

is this even real. :K::colonhash:
Reply 6254

you're kidding right

Original post by SA-1
**** off

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seconded lmfao since when the f*ck has there been a prayer room?! Still might need to hit that up at half time when we're losing.
You guys didn't know there is a prayer room? That is old news
Original post by SA-1
**** off

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by xKay
you're kidding right

Original post by AliRizzo
Seconded lmfao since when the f*ck has there been a prayer room?! Still might need to hit that up at half time when we're losing.

There actually is a prayer room in the North Bank concourse. Been there for quite a while now.
ffs

smh
Can't wait for our injury list to refresh once again

Latest