The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mall-cop
An example of how to answer a yes or no question:

Lol so how hard was this lads? @Duncan2012@RVNmax@999tigger :rolleyes:

If you're prepared to take the word of an internet stranger who makes an assumption based upon a different set of circumstances which you decide to rely upon to deliberately fail a class which you're currently passing, at the same time ignoring advice from the very people in a position to provide authoritative answers, then I have to wonder whether you're intelligent enough to be attending university in the first place.

Pass, fail, get yourself another year of debt - it doesn't matter to us. I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this pointless thread.
Reply 21
Original post by Duncan2012
I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this pointless thread.

But I asked you to stop posting a long time ago. You don't understand the situation, which means you have no advice, yet you keep quoting me?
Reply 22
@Politricks can I PM you real quick?
Reply 23
So they will pay even if I fail, but choose to retake?
That's all I'm asking. Not if it's stupid or what. Just will they pay for a required module that I failed and will retake?

Even SFE barely give yeses and noes, and considering we don't have much information to go off here, how can we do so.

I'm not fully understanding your fees structure. Most unis have a set tuition fee per academic year. Yours seems to be modular system which somewhat complicates things. Will your resit fee be in addition to the standard fee for the module or are you not paying for the module currently?

You asked what the pros and cons were and financially which was better. Only later on did you question become about straight yes or no which is impossible to answer. The answer Shawty gave is covered by my post, #11, where I said if you were only retaking the module, nothing would change in normal circumstances because most unis don't apportion their module fees for a resit as normally a resit just entails sitting an exam and hence the uni never asks for SFE for more money, only a nominal resit fee from the student.

However, from your situation it seems different as it is a totally different term and you would possibly be attending classes, which obviously nobody here knows because you haven't told us anything about your course fee structure.
They'll tell me the same automated lies they're trained to tell me.
I want to know if there's common understanding on what is realistic or not, that professionals won't tell you because it's not formal advice.
Based on some neutral advice, I can then just dictate it better to sfe. Instead of believing what they tell me, which includes "our hands are tied."

I also know obviously to ask experts, no need to post this patronising suggestion that I go see them.

Don't worry, I won't quote you again. You didn't help at all anyway.

Lol you are well rude and arrogant. You cnat see the folly of your own thread. You wnat a balck and white answer, but you fail to see you dont probide enough information on which to give you that answer. It was apparent from your attitude when you talk about your professors and SFE.
Reply 25
@Politricks it's not just specifically for you to answer, but if you have any thoughts, please voice here. I think you might get it:
@RVNmax as well

like do you understand what my situation is?
I am taking a class and the professor wants us to pay to get onto a website
the website is where our coursework and exams are
because i cannot afford iti can't do coursework obvs
which means why am I taking the class? lol
I'm just sitting with my hands folded waiting to get a low grade
if not a fail

So I'm asking
if I fail
will finance pay for me to retake the damn class

that's all I'm asking

I don't care about if it sounds stupid or not. Just simply will they pay ffs.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Politricks it's not just specifically for you to answer, but if you have any thoughts, please voice here. I think you might get it:
@RVNmax as well

if not a fail

So I'm asking
if I fail

that's all I'm asking

You could have explained that in the beginning. Go and talk to SFE and try not to be so rude or they wont help you. Only they cna confirm to you whether they will.
Reply 27
Original post by 999tigger
Lol you are well rude and arrogant. You cnat see the folly of your own thread. You wnat a balck and white answer, but you fail to see you dont probide enough information on which to give you that answer. It was apparent from your attitude when you talk about your professors and SFE.

Not rude not arrogant, stressed as my situation is dire and you're parading around patronising my real life situation with useless tit for tat rhetoric. I'm only interested in people who can read and who are willing to answer my yes or no question. If you don't understand, then just find something else to do. You're only getting in the way.

I will repeat for you one more time:

if I fail a required class, will finance generally pay for me to do it again?
that literally is a yes or no question.
If you don't like my tone then just stop addressing me.
This is only in Chat for exposure for faster and more answers.
Not because I actually want to chit chat ffs.
@RVNmax as well

if not a fail

So I'm asking
if I fail

that's all I'm asking

No they won't ffs
Reply 29
Original post by RVNmax
Even SFE barely give yeses and noes, and considering we don't have much information to go off here, how can we do so.

I'm not fully understanding your fees structure. Most unis have a set tuition fee per academic year. Yours seems to be modular system which somewhat complicates things. Will your resit fee be in addition to the standard fee for the module or are you not paying for the module currently?

You asked what the pros and cons were and financially which was better. Only later on did you question become about straight yes or no which is impossible to answer. The answer Shawty gave is covered by my post, #11, where I said if you were only retaking the module, nothing would change in normal circumstances because most unis don't apportion their module fees for a resit as normally a resit just entails sitting an exam and hence the uni never asks for SFE for more money, only a nominal resit fee from the student.

However, from your situation it seems different as it is a totally different term and you would possibly be attending classes, which obviously nobody here knows because you haven't told us anything about your course fee structure.

Ok I'll pm you the specific situation
The coursework is easy I just don't have the money or time for it right now.

I was given the option of dropping, but then I'll have to pay. Everyone I spoke to advised me against it.

However if I continue from here, I'll get a very low passing grade, and can retake--but finance won't help pay for it.

Is the best thing me retaking the course, after failing, so I can retake with finance? I've asked my professor, student finance, and the head but they pry with too many unimportant personal questions, and I still leave with no helpful answer.

So I just want to know the pros and cons of getting a low grade, or just failing. Either way my ego is wounded, but financially what is better?

assuming you want to fail to retake the entire year. If so you need to fail multiple modules to retake the year and that's not guaranteed you can just be straight booted from uni.
You're so annoying repeating the same thing.

You mean telling you the right thing becayse they are the people who make the decision about whether to pay or not. Its obviously too much for you.
Reply 32
Original post by Oilfreak1
assuming you want to fail to retake the entire year. If so you need to fail multiple modules to retake the year and that's not guaranteed you can just be straight booted from uni.

No not the whole year. Just the one class I think I will fail. I've never failed before so if I fail one module I have to redo the whole year?? :hmmm:
If this is you Will, why don't you tell them the truth? That you don't even have c in maths and science, and are trying to do an engineering o.u. degree?

Sorry mate you're aiming to high!
See this is what I mean. Useless. You just want to argue. I'm already on edge because this is my life and you just want to hear your keyboard click. Should I just give you a rep so you can feel better and go away and stop ruining the purpose of the thread when newcomers see you and me arguing?

Dude I really dont care, you are being so upight you arent using any common sense as to what happens. having done some research then you need to look at your uni website or contact your own admissions/fees department as they cna advise you on whether you have to pay it yourself as a resit fee (some institutions) or SFE will pay as part of your extra year. It depends on your situation. ofc you cna say thats patronising or useless, but from the institutions I looked at, thats how their rules on resits are described. You claim to have exhausted possibilities with your department and SFE, so have you talked to your own fees department at uni?

ha thanks! :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by john2054
If this is you Will, why don't you tell them the truth? That you don't even have c in maths and science, and are trying to do an engineering o.u. degree?

Sorry mate you're aiming to high!

What are you even talking about. This is a website where anyone on the whole planet can join. Again if you have nothing useful to say find something else to do.
What are you even talking about. This is a website where anyone on the whole planet can join. Again if you have nothing useful to say find something else to do.

It's actually geared up for undergraduate/a level students. Not GCSE drop outs!
Reply 38
Original post by john2054
It's actually geared up for undergraduate/a level students. Not GCSE drop outs!

No one's dropped out of anything. Keep posting ridiculous non constructive insults and I'll report each one.
Reply 39
The problem is that the retake policy will depend on your uni and subject. You might be forced to retake the whole year, or might just be able to retake this one module alongside the next year's work. Nobody here can tell you.

The finance will then depend on what you're doing, and what you have previously done. You haven't given enough detail for anyone to advise you accurately.

Latest