The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frank Underwood

It is approximately how many Islamic extremists have gone on attacks specifically against westerners, in the west and in other countries to attack westerners. The point is, it's a tiny fraction of Muslims, regardless of whether it is an order of 10 lower or higher than the actual number.

And you used that number to refer to the number of active Islamists, which is clearly dishonest and an underestimate. You've been caught out, have the grace to stop digging

It's clearly not "1500 out of 1.5 billion" who hold these views and support this kind of behaviour, and we are absolutely entitled to blame the tens of millions of Muslims who support these actions for creating the atmosphere that allows this ideology to grow
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Their version of Islam.

Interesting.

Yes, that is exactly the point I'm making, they have an interpretation of Islam, but it is still Islam and the claim that they are not true Muslims and are not inspired by Islamic ideology is false and actually dangerous, because it means we're not addressing the problem at its core.

How many more attacks on European cities by not true Muslims are we going to tolerate before something is done about the backwards, violent ideology that is Islam?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
And you used that number to refer to the number of active Islamists, which is clearly dishonest and an underestimate. You've been caught out, have the grace to stop digging

It's clearly not "1500 out of 1.5 billion" who hold these views and support this kind of behaviour, and we are absolutely entitled to blame the tens of millions of Muslims who support these actions for creating the atmosphere that allows this ideology to grow

Oh give over, stop putting words in my mouth.
Original post by QE2
Asks for evidence.
Shown evidence.
Rejects evidence.

SMH.

sorry I did that by accident
I've replied somewhere to you're overly annotated diagram of my writing somewhere lol.
Also please note that I only said spur hate when a person suggested that all British muslims take integration tests, so please don't take my text out of context to manipulate what I was trying to argue.
Spread love not hate
May God/ Allah bless you

Peace and love

NK
Original post by missfats
Next time I'm reading the quran, I'll make sure I don't get inspired to blow anyone up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was that supposed to be funny?
Oh give over, stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm using your own words, grow up and take responsibility for what you said. You said

Yes Muslims should denounce them more strongly, but at the same time people should stop blaming 1.5 billion people for the actions of less than 1,500.

There are clearly far more than 1500 Muslims who are responsible for the jihadist movement, both in the West and abroad, and you are being clearly dishonest to try to claim that the only people who count towards that number are those who have been involved in attacks in the West.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Was that supposed to be funny?

Considering you claimed that the quran tells us to do this.

I suppose if it wasn't a deeply distressing topic, it would be hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How the hell are we gonna deal with this?
I'm using your own words, grow up and take responsibility for what you said. You said

There are clearly far more than 1500 Muslims who are responsible for the jihadist movement, both in the West and abroad, and you are being clearly dishonest to try to claim that the only people who count towards that number are those who have been involved in attacks in the West.

Didn't read what i said :facepalm:

1,500 is roughly the number who, in the past, have attacked westerners.

And even if it is 15,000 or 150, it is still a tiny percentile of all Muslims worldwide, and it is therefore unfair to blame all Muslims for the actions of 0.001% of them.
Original post by missfats
Considering you claimed that the quran tells us to do this.

I suppose if it wasn't a deeply distressing topic, it would be hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I said they are inspired by the Qur'an, having their own extreme interpretation. There are certainly verses in there about fighting until there is no religion except for that of Allah.

What's ridiculous is your insinuation that ISIS don't get any of their ideas from Islam.
I see you don't know what 1,500 was referring to.

It is approximately how many Islamic extremists have gone on attacks specifically against westerners, in the west and in other countries to attack westerners. The point is, it's a tiny fraction of Muslims, regardless of whether it is an order of 10 lower or higher than the actual number.

so why arnrt you comparing this figure to the much smaller number of muslims who live in europe ( approx 50m) rather than the billion world population you quoted earlier?

if we look at islamic terrorism accross the globe, we are probably talkng about 100 of times more attrocities

and i take it from your silence you are in fact simply a muslim that has no problem with islamic doctrine

No, you said that all Muslims should not be blamed "for the actions of 1500 out of 1.5 billion". Clearly there are far more than 1500 who are involved in the Islamist ideology, who finance it and provide material and moral support.

You said the words, stop getting huffy and upset when you are called on it.

And even if it is 15,000 or 150, it is still a tiny percentile of all Muslims worldwide, and it is therefore unfair to blame all Muslims for the actions of 0.001% of them.

It's not 15000, it's tens of millions. And yes, Muslims as a whole are responsible for allowing this cancer to grow in their community. How is it that every other community in the world, Chinese, Jews, Hindus, South Americans, manage to get along just fine without becoming hysterical at the tiniest perceived slight and blowing people up and making threats?
Original post by Reformed
so why arnrt you comparing this figure to the much smaller number of muslims who live in europe ( approx 50m) rather than the billion world population you quoted earlier?

if we look at islamic terrorism accross the globe, we are probably talkng about 100 of times more attrocities

and i take it from your silence you are in fact simply a muslim that has no problem with islamic doctrine

If you didn't get the vibe, I had enough of you twisting my words.
terror attack in France?

same thing can be said for brussel and istanbul too.

If Islam is a sect that venerates a terrorist god and a terrorist prophet, I disagree.
Reply 635
Original post by xxvine
Yeah I know
I don't believe they are religious or are doing it in the name of religion. If your doing it in the name of Islam why would you be killing your own people? They bomb Mosques...kill their own 'fellow' Muslims in these attacks etc...Wasn't one of the police officers in the Charlie Hebdo attacks Muslim?
Here's the tragic irony, they are killing other "Muslims" because they do not consider them to be True Muslims - exactly as you view them.
The difference is, they follow a version of Islam that takes all the stuff about killing those who oppose or reject (their version of) Islam, very seriously, rather than ignoring it, as most Muslims do.

It's a difficult position to be in. They want to condemn them for being barbaric murdering scum, but at the same time, they know that ISIS are following an Islam that is closer to that which was practised by Muhammad in 7th century Arabia.

For me they just have their own evil ideology and are just using religion to justify it because religion is the one thing that cannot be disregarded.
No, you said that all Muslims should not be blamed "for the actions of 1500 out of 1.5 billion". Clearly there are far more than 1500 who are involved in the Islamist ideology, who finance it and provide material and moral support.

You said the words, stop getting huffy and upset when you are called on it.

It's not 15000, it's tens of millions. And yes, Muslims as a whole are responsible for allowing this cancer to grow in their community

Maybe I was unclear earlier but I'm telling you RIGHT NOW that 1,500 refers to the number of Muslims who have actively gone out and attacked westerners, either in the west or in their own countries against western tourists.

There are definitely thousands more who are extremist, but not terrorists.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yes, that is exactly the point I'm making, they have an interpretation of Islam, but it is still Islam and the claim that they are not true Muslims and are not inspired by Islamic ideology is false and actually dangerous, because it means we're not addressing the problem at its core.

In the end it all leads to subjective statements tbh.
You will claim it is still Islam, whereas a fair amount of Muslims will disagree with the actions of ISIS.

The problem at its core is that ISIS have a large no. of people in the West believing their 'version' of Islam is the correct one.
Original post by Reformed
you have to accept that these islamists could not have operated under the radr in molenbeek ( a large islamic community) for so long with out tacit support from other community members.
people seem to think ideology is not a problem , when it is at the root cause for pretty much all islamic terrorism. all it needs is a politcal motive to spark an attrocity .. all the apologists for islamic groups and their ideology are linked in some part to each attrocity im afraid.
as I mentioned elsewhere, I live in Brussels, and I know Molenbeek quite well : it is of course some sort of Moroccan/Muslim enclave in Brussels, but most people living there are just normal people, trying to get on with their lives

however : clannish, tribal, family solidarities run very strong, way beyond simple "Islamic" solidarity. This explains quite easily how jihadis had no problems in hiding out there

also, young, unemployed Muslims feel unjustly discriminated and marginalised (and there is some sort of truth in this claim). So, they have developed this total estrangement from mainstream society, and feel the fascination of the romantic life in the Caliphate (guns, women, violence ...)

It is highly symptomatic that most of Molenbeek jihadis already had some sort of criminal record for drug dealing, theft, car-jacking etc

so, we have here a case of "rebels without a cause" finally finding a cause : as it happens, an Islamic cause

but this is not a coincidence
Original post by QE2
You seem to have mistaken me for someone else.
I absolutely agree that the aims of certain islamist groups is a global caliphate under strict sharia based on a literal interpretation of the Quran and sunnah.

As I said, the purpose of these attacks is not to bring the West to the negotiating table, or to secure withdrawal of forces. It is simply to engender a climate of fear and mistrust between Muslim communities and host nations, which they think will make more civil unrest more likely, thus furthering their agenda. The fact that other Asians or North Africans are caught up in the standoff is of little consequence to either the Islamists, or those racist xenophobes who use the situation to further their own agenda, and thus distracting those in the middle ground from the actual issue (there is nothing the liberal left fears more than accusations of racism).

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Latest

Trending

Trending