The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frank Underwood
If you didn't get the vibe, I had enough of you twisting my words.

i wanst really referring to your words, i just asked a simple question -
what is your view on the islamic doctrine that these people are exposed tocant see why youd have an issue with answering that if you were being genuine
Original post by Menakshelatte
terror attack in France?

same thing can be said for brussel and istanbul too.

I don't see it as especially hypocritical when an extremely rare event (for a Western country) is focused on more than an event that happens more commonly further away.
To be fair, it's just as easily an image of a sunset so it does seem as if you're grasping at straws.

Islam is just Muhammad's rip-off of Judaism, which he chose because he thought he could get the middle eastern Jewish tribes to unite behind him.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
In the end it all lleads to subjective statements tbh.
You will claim it is still Islam, whereas a fair amount of Muslims will disagree with the actions of ISIS.

The problem at its core is that ISIS have a large no. of people in the West believing their 'version' of Islam is the correct one.

If members of ISIS believe in Allah, Muhammad and quote the Quran then I find it impossible to see how anyone could, in an intellectually honest way say they are not Muslim. It's just that their version is a lot more literal and extreme which is why radicalisation that leads to this must be tackled. Crying "this has nothing to do with Islam", as well as being moronic, is just ignoring the problem.
Reply 644
Original post by NK18444
the Quran encourages free religious practice
Quran-
“To you be your religion, to me be mine.”
Does it?
"Fight the disbelievers until there is no more shirk and all religion is for Allah". 8:39

This was revealed some years after sura 109, so would abrogate it if there is any contradiction.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There is an objective analysis of Islamist radicalism, its outreach to Muslim young people raised in the west and the ways we respond to that to prevent them carrying out actions like this and the need to deal firmly and finally with the IS threat and others.

Then there are racism peddlers like Trump and Le Pen, seizing on this and an army of little followers.

It's the latter that disgusts me and the way they leap on this. UKIP are no better.

Trump is one of the most outrageous, with his ridiculous characterisations of European capitals like London, Paris and Brussels as collapsed warzones, rhetoric that plays perfectly into the hands of the reactionary and racist Christian Right in the US, who gyrate wildly to these Pavlovian bells.

That Trump is a buffoon I will give you, and his apocalyptic narrative to portray himself as the saviour of a collapsing Western civilisation is farcical and distasteful. Jean-Marie Le Pen was unquestionably a racist too.

But, though she still has the support of her father's fascist neanderthals, Le Pen has said nothing wrong to my knowledge. Her statement that radical mosques should be closed down is now being put into practice by Cazeneuve, the French interior minister. And her belief that people coming to France should abandon their culture if it is incompatible with French norms is uncontroversial.
Original post by Onde
I don't see it as especially hypocritical when an extremely rare event (for a Western country) is focused on more than an event that happens more commonly further away.

oh yeah? really? so you're saying that it's about distance?

genocide in palestine? noone cares.
terror attack in australia? everyone cares.
whereas both countries are distant to uk.

or, attack in israel? straight away front page.
attack iraq? it doesn't matter.
It just proves my point that we are currently in the apocalypse...
Original post by mariachi
as I mentioned elsewhere, I live in Brussels, and I know Molenbeek quite well : it is of course some sort of Moroccan/Muslim enclave in Brussels, but most people living there are just normal people, trying to get on with their lives

however : clannish, tribal, family solidarities run very strong, way beyond simple "Islamic" solidarity. This explains quite easily how jihadis had no problems in hiding out there

also, young, unemployed Muslims feel unjustly discriminated and marginalised (and there is some sort of truth in this claim). So, they have developed this total estrangement from mainstream society, and feel the fascination of the romantic life in the Caliphate (guns, women, violence ...)

It is highly symptomatic that most of Molenbeek jihadis already had some sort of criminal record for drug dealing, theft, car-jacking etc

so, we have here a case of "rebels without a cause" finally finding a cause : as it happens, an Islamic cause

but this is not a coincidence

it indeed cannot simply be put down to coincidence that many young males with past criminal histories do end up delving deep into islamic indoctrination and polticisation - drug dealers, rapists, gang members etc have all been shown to turn up amoung the ranks of islamic groups and commit attrociities in other places too.

its a mystery to me why belgian authorities seem not to have any idea what is going on in these islamic enclaves, especialy if they are crime hotspots anyway. you suggest theres an issue with harrassment and marginalisation of muslim youth there - it seems as of now that there hasnt been enough to interfere with these sort of peoples plans.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reformed
i wanst really referring to your words, i just asked a simple question -
what is your view on the islamic doctrine that these people are exposed tocant see why youd have an issue with answering that if you were being genuine

I am atheist, and I think that the world would be a better place without religion, I have no predisposition to Islam over Christianity or any other faith.
I am atheist, and I think that the world would be a better place without religion, I have no predisposition to Islam over Christianity or any other faith.

thats not what i asked
thats not what i asked

make your question clearer, which doctrine
Original post by TheArtofProtest
If you are unable to tell me exactly why I should accept the word of a few thousand people as authority for the views on billions of people, then there is nothing further to discuss.

Unlike you and perhaps many others, I have no wish to stir up animosity purely for the sake of seeking validation for my biases. Unlike others, I have no vested interested in using such events to further my own Islamophobic agendas.

I am taking issue with the conclusions drawn from a poll which some people have taken as "evidence". I do not believe it is worth the paper it was written on and I wished to make that clear.

If you have any objections to what I have said, then please make them known to me but I can not stand by and allow gross negative distortions and misrepresentations, the precursor to a feeling of irrational views and hatred, without calling people out on it.

Did you know that more people are killed by a falling coconut than in a shark attack?

The phenomenon is referred to as, "Death by coconut".

Of course it is. It tells us nothing of substance and only serves to ingrain within oneself, a sense of validation, for consumption of a mainly Western orientated audience.

Do they like IS because it has brought some kind of stability from what was previously a corrupt regime? Do they dislike IS because it carries out beheadings? Are they looking at IS favourably because it is seen as taking on the "Great Satan"? Are they disgusted by the fact that IS seems to kill more Muslims than any other group?

To understand why people look upon IS favourably, we need to understand the reasons if we are ever to combat it's popularity and showing me a poll with numbers isn't going to cut mustard.

Yes, we may destroy IS militarily but if we fail to address the reasons for it's creation and growth, then we are simply going to for another go on the merry-go-round, this time with another barbaric group.

The people surveyed in those countries have lived very different lives to us in the West and perhaps even Syria/Iraq and seeing IS how we see them is radically different to their own experiences.

These people probably don't even care about surveys and polls or make decisions based on how something will play out in the public sphere. They make decisions based on their experiences and quantifying those experiences to a simple "Do you view ISIS favourably?" is irrelevant and tells me absolutely nothing so forgive me if I sit this latest episode of whipping up people, through gross distortions, manipulation and misrepresentations to support my Islamophobic agenda out.

Lots of words there but very little actually said. Please try to keep your points concise and avoid waffling.You basically cannot accept the fact that from those surveyed, a shocking amount are either neutral towards IS, or are favourable to them.

It's not a leading question. A leading question would be, 'To what extent do you agree that ISIS are a barbaric and evil group?'
Simply asking what their views on IS are, is not leading since it does not indicate a certain response. The poll might not tell us a lot about why people hold such views, but you cannot dismiss it altogether simply because you don't like the results-which is essentially what you are doing. Had the results showed a strong disapproval and condemnation of IS, I'm sure you'd be glad to use it to show how Muslims do not support IS.

You made a valid point about why it's important to understand why IS garner such support, but this doesn't reduce the validity of the results obtained from the poll.
make your question clearer, which doctrine

dont worrry about it. i think the answer was obvious a while back
Reply 655
Original post by NK18444
I do understand where you're coming from!
Do you have any Muslim friends or relatives, do they know anyone that holds extremist views or has done anything terror related?
None of the Muslims I know IRL hold any such views, or even believe that apostates should be killed, adulterers stoned etc, or even that the entire Quran must be accepted as the perfect, literal truth (although they would very likely be persecuted by "True Muslims" like ISIS for rejecting parts of the Quran and sunnah.)

However, I have encoutered several on here who hold such extreme views, and many more on sites like ummah.com.
Original post by Menakshelatte
oh yeah? really? so you're saying that it's about distance?

genocide in palestine? noone cares.
terror attack in australia? everyone cares.
whereas both countries are distant to uk.

or, attack in israel? straight away front page.
attack iraq? it doesn't matter.

No, I said it was about rarity, shared cultural identity, and distance.

I would also say that the Western world has "cared" for the Middle East quite considerably - in fact, many are of the opinion that they have "cared" too much, or at least inappropriately.
dont worrry about it. i think the answer was obvious a while back

And you were wondering why I didn't respond to your stupid posts 5 times.
Original post by Legendary Quest
You remind me of those annoying kids who post Britain First stuff thinking that they are being really clever when really they are just making themselves look like fools.

Save yourself.

i 100% agree it is quite a silly use of designed semantics to try and create a correlation of your choosing .

it is of course common practice also on the Isoc and various islamic chat forums ( in favour of islam in those cases of course) . seems like the far right chat forums and islamic chat forums practice some sort of online parralel universe phenomena
Lives has been lost today, and all you lot are fascinated with is bashing Islam?

Latest

Trending

Trending