The Student Room Group

Dog died and I am absolutely heartbroken

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hachik0
As a fellow Samoyed owner I dread to think what it must feel like. Our Samoyeds are the most, loving and friendly dogs. So sorry for your loss.

I grew up with Samoyeds (they were literally my babysitters) and when I turned into a teen they became hot water bottles.
Reply 21
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So I got a call from my older sister a few minutes ago and she was crying on the phone. I asked her if she was ok and she told me that our 11 year old Samoyed, Icy died peacefully in her sleep about twenty minutes ago.

I had adopted the dog so I was very close to her but I didn't expect her to go so quickly. She was so happy and healthy yesterday when I saw her.

Anyway, I feel so lost and I don't know what to do at all. I haven't lost a pet for a few years now and I was very close to Icy so I am simply torn apart and I don't want to do anything but sit and cry.

Heartbreaking. So sad. I have a rescue dog and he is 12, I know we have a few years left if all goes well but as he ages and looks more and more grey it crosses my mind how much longer he will be with us. I don't want to think about it too much really.

The only thing of comfort is that you adopted your dog and gave her a good life. She could have gone somewhere else but she came to you and you loved her and cared for her. Also she died at home, peacefully in her sleep without any prolonged pain or suffering.
Original post by Racoon
Heartbreaking. So sad. I have a rescue dog and he is 12, I know we have a few years left if all goes well but as he ages and looks more and more grey it crosses my mind how much longer he will be with us. I don't want to think about it too much really.

The only thing of comfort is that you adopted your dog and gave her a good life. She could have gone somewhere else but she came to you and you loved her and cared for her. Also she died at home, peacefully in her sleep without any prolonged pain or suffering.

The bit about her dying peacefully is slightly comforting. But all the same, I miss her so much.
This is really sad :sad:

I'm sorry for your loss R! :frown: I hope you feel better soon, and may your dog RIP. :hugs:
Original post by wallah abdi
Icy? Was he a pupsicle?

*She.

I called her Icy because she loved the snow.
Original post by drowzee
This is really sad :sad:

I'm sorry for your loss R! :frown: I hope you feel better soon, and may your dog RIP. :hugs:

Thank you x
*She.

I called her Icy because she loved the snow.

Aw :h:

:console:
I'm so sorry to hear this :frown: I know exactly how you feel. My dog passed away last year and was fine one day and then at death's door the next day. He was 11 too. It was a lot to take in.

Pets really do become part of your family and it is truly is heartbreaking when you lose a pet, especially when it happens suddenly :frown: don't feel like you need to hold in how you feel. If all you want to do tonight is lounge about cry, you have every right to and it'll help you come to terms with things if you don't try and bottle it up. Grief has no time limit so just allow yourself to feel what you will feel and just let it out. I felt a mix of sadness, anger at my mum, myself and the vet for not being able to save him even though I know we all tried and these things sadly happen and I also felt a relief because even knowing he was in pain for a minute, broke my heart so it was good to know he was no longer suffering. The first few days after it are the worst. The house seems so empty even if you still have other pets and you might keep thinking you hear or see them. It does get easier but you never stop missing them.

2 years on since I lost my cat to cancer and a year since I lost my Yorkie to pancreatitis, I still think of them every single day and miss them so much and often still have a wee cry over them but I also smile now when I think back on them. I couldn't do that for a while as I was too raw.

I truly am sorry for your loss and I hope you know we are all here for you on here and you're not alone :smile: xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
'm so sorry to hear this :frown: I know exactly how you feel. My dog passed away last year and was fine one day and then at death's door the next day. He was 11 too. It was a lot to take in.

Pets really do become part of your family and it is truly is heartbreaking when you lose a pet, especially when it happens suddenly :frown: don't feel like you need to hold in how you feel. If all you want to do tonight is lounge about cry, you have every right to and it'll help you come to terms with things if you don't try and bottle it up. Grief has no time limit so just allow yourself to feel what you will feel and just let it out. I felt a mix of sadness, anger at my mum, myself and the vet for not being able to save him even though I know we all tried and these things sadly happen and I also felt a relief because even knowing he was in pain for a minute, broke my heart so it was good to know he was no longer suffering. The first few days after it are the worst. The house seems so empty even if you still have other pets and you might keep thinking you hear or see them. It does get easier but you never stop missing them.

2 years on since I lost my cat to cancer and a year since I lost my Yorkie to pancreatitis, I still think of them every single day and miss them so much and often still have a wee cry over them but I also smile now when I think back on them. I couldn't do that for a while as I was too raw.

I truly am sorry for your loss and I hope you know we are all here for you on here and you're not alone :smile: xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: xxxx
Reply 29
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs: I'm sure she had an amazing life with you and your family :smile:

Hope you feel better soon and may she RIP :jumphug:
Original post by Zuki
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs: I'm sure she had an amazing life with you and your family :smile:

Hope you feel better soon and may she RIP :jumphug:

Yes she did.

Thank you
Reply 31
So I got a call from my older sister a few minutes ago and she was crying on the phone. I asked her if she was ok and she told me that our 11 year old Samoyed, Icy died peacefully in her sleep about twenty minutes ago.

I had adopted the dog so I was very close to her but I didn't expect her to go so quickly. She was so happy and healthy yesterday when I saw her.

Anyway, I feel so lost and I don't know what to do at all. I haven't lost a pet for a few years now and I was very close to Icy so I am simply torn apart and I don't want to do anything but sit and cry.

:hugs:
Get another dog....?
So sorry :hugs:
Original post by Ablicious
Get another dog....?

Not that simple.
Not that simple.

Pretty sure it would help.
Original post by Ablicious
Pretty sure it would help.

Not so soon.
Reply 37
Aww. Hang in there. :hugs:

Icy is now probably in dog heaven eating ice-cream and chasing squirrels or something.
Awww hun :frown:

I know how gut-wrenching it is to lose a beloved pet. I lost my cat a few years back and was absolutely devastated, I couldn't sleep a wink that night. There's something about pets, they become true parts of the family. And dogs are so loyal and doting, they are probably the rock of a house in terms of always being there to cheer people up when times are bad. Unconditional love.

I know this sounds cheesy and some may laugh, but when I lost my cat I found it helped to make notes about it. Just write down how you're feeling. It's a really good way to get it off your chest in private.

The consolation is that he had a long, fulfilled life, and he passed away peaceful with what sounds like minimal suffering.

sorry to hear about your pet

Quick Reply

Latest