The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Someone32
How far do you think Britain is from having a black or Asian prime minister? why do you think we are behind America in terms of ethnic minorities in government?

we are far less open to racial diversity in upper echelons of society than US. we have hereditary priviledge on a much longer running scale
I'll try my best. Give me a few years and a good spin doctor.
>massive white british majority

What's so wrong with having a white prime minister? Doesn't mean we're 'behind' anyone. Obama only won because of his skin colour, and look how that turned out for the US.
Original post by Reformed
we are far less open to racial diversity in upper echelons of society than US. we have hereditary priviledge on a much longer running scale

yes, I'm just drowning in my white privilege - my one working parent is a postman and I live in a house where there is essentially no heating in the freezing cold periods - today I can see my breath hanging in the air in my tiny bedroom. the only money I spend is on store-brand food products.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
yes, I'm just drowning in my white privilege - my one working parent is a postman and I live in a house where there is essentially no heating in the freezing cold periods - today I can see my breath hanging in the air in my tiny bedroom. the only money I spend is on store-brand food products.

sorry, are you categoriseing yourself as within the upper echhelons of the ruling classes?
Original post by Reformed
sorry, are you categoriseing yourself as within the upper echhelons of the ruling classes?

you obviously implied "white society" when you said "the upper echhelons" seeing as this is about race and you mentioned privilege (or "priviledge")
Reply 7
Original post by mightybis0n
>massive white british majority

What's so wrong with having a white prime minister? Doesn't mean we're 'behind' anyone. Obama only won because of his skin colour, and look how that turned out for the US.

I didn't say there was something wrong with a white pm but the fact that a ethnic minority is very unlikely to become PM, show we do have a problem. Also Britain is behind the states in that people are less willing to vote for black man unlike america.
USA has much higher % of minorities. It could happen in the UK in the next 20 years though.
I didn't say there was something wrong with a white pm but the fact that a ethnic minority is very unlikely to become PM, show we do have a problem. Also Britain is behind the states in that people are less willing to vote for black man unlike america.

How is it we have a problem? It is unlikely because a massive proportion of this country is white British. Can I get a source on that, btw?

Nothing wrong with wanting someone of your own race as Prime Minister.
Reply 10
Original post by Ravenous
USA has much higher % of minorities. It could happen in the UK in the next 20 years though.

They do but you would have thought that a progressive white person would be willing to vote for an ethnic minority if they had good policy.
13% of Americans are Black, 3% of Brits are Black.

Although we have a higher proportion of Asians (7% vs 5%).

But Asians tend to shy away from politics in general.

I'd say quite far, but not because of "racism" or anything like that, just purely because of the demographics of the UK.
Reply 12
Original post by mightybis0n
How is it we have a problem? It is unlikely because a massive proportion of this country is white British. Can I get a source on that, btw?

Nothing wrong with wanting someone of your own race as Prime Minister.

yes there is as what does your race have to with being able to lead a country.
Original post by sunni money

Orientals yes, South Asians definitely not.
Original post by sleepysnooze
you obviously implied "white society" when you said "the upper echhelons" seeing as this is about race and you mentioned privilege (or "priviledge":wink:

i implied "the upper echelons" of white society when i used the words "the upper echelons"

perhaps you should have taken a breath and re read before replying

the uk gave black ppl poltical and land rights far sooner than usa, and yet we are way behind in elcting a black head of state - purely becuase i usa its easier to break into the upper ecehlons as a non white , so long as you dmeonstrate the ability to make money

in uk no matter how rich you are, without white priviledge of your familial lineage , political power is still restricted by who you know, not what you know
Reply 15
20 years I think.
Original post by Ravenous
Orientals yes, South Asians definitely not.

But the problem is that East Asians tend to have more human and social capital than South Asians.
Reply 17
Original post by sunni money
13% of Americans are Black, 3% of Brits are Black.

Although we have a higher proportion of Asians (7% vs 5%).

I'd say quite far, but not because of "racism" or anything like that, just purely because of the demographics of the UK.

I'm not asking why we haven't had a black pm but do you think a good ethnic minority candidate could become PM?
yes there is as what does your race have to with being able to lead a country.

No source there.

Would you lobby Zimbabwe or Japan for not having a white leader?

I think not.
Cant see it happening. that said you only need one individual with talent and they will stand out. Current politicians are all poor.

Latest

Trending

Trending