The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NickLCFC
This video was made to boost tourism in Brussels and change the perception that the city was a war zone linked to various terror plots.

Hehehe

Good find
Original post by Judas69
destroy IS asap, i mean like a month,.

How?
Original post by Frank Underwood
Having a favourable view of ISIS is not equivalent to supporting ISIS.

What does it mean, then?

I find it funny that you focus on that, rather than the article title which says that everyone is overwhelmingly against ISIS.

It doesn't say that, and nor do the results show that.
Original post by MrDystopia
How?

By bombing the **** out of them, I mean like **** off big bombs
Believing that suicide bombings are justified in the defence of Islam is not the same as being an ISIS supporter.

I've said it so many times, why can't you read it? Yes, it is worrying that so many people think that suicide bombing is justified, but it does not mean they are all ISIS supporters.

After all, it's no different from the average UK person supporting airstrikes against Raqqah.

But you aren't replying to my points, or being disingenuous.

This isn't a question of whether people support ISIS, that was another poll. This one just shows that people share the same views. That doesn't mean they support that particular group.

So, could you answer this question. Does the poll on suicide bombings not show that many muslims (more than 1%) have the same extreme view (or similar view) as ISIS on bombings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunni money
What does it mean, then?

It doesn't say that, and nor do the results show that.

Having a favourable view of ISIS means that you see ISIS as good.

And you're evidently blind. The very article you quoted the image from says the following:

"In nations with significant Muslim populations, much disdain for ISIS"

"According to newly released data that the Pew Research Center collected in 11 countries with significant Muslim populations, people from Nigeria to Jordan to Indonesia overwhelmingly expressed negative views of ISIS."

"In no country surveyed did more than 15% of the population show favorable attitudes toward Islamic State. And in those countries with mixed religious and ethnic populations, negative views of ISIS cut across these lines."

You're confusing 'favouring ISIS' with 'supporting ISIS'.

If 60 million Muslims supported ISIS, we would all have been blown up weeks ago.
Original post by Slipandsquirm
But you aren't replying to my points, or being disingenuous.

This isn't a question of whether people support ISIS, that was another poll. This one just shows that people share the same views. That doesn't mean they support that particular group.

So, could you answer this question. Does the poll on suicide bombings not show that many muslims (more than 1%) have the same extreme view (or similar view) as ISIS on bombings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh for goodness sake I've had enough of you. I've explained it about 10 times to you alone.

The question asked was "Suicide bombings can _____ be justified against civilian targets in order to defend Islam from its enemies."

This does not show that any of the voters have the same extremist views as ISIS, the only thing it tells you is that some people think it is justifiable to attack civilians to defend Islam.
LOVE TRUMPS HATE!

Fight fear with hope!
Intolerance with tolerance!
Guns with hugs!
x

Stop acting like 60,000,000 in just those few countries is just a small minority of people. It may be small percentage-wise, but a number that high is pretty alarming considering this is ISIS we're talking about. Maybe they're not technically supporters and maybe they don't share the same extremist views but they know actually who ISIS are, what they do and what they stand for. Having 60,000,000+ people 'favouring' them (in just that selection of countries) is worrying.
I'm not apologising, I am telling you that the vast majority of Muslims are good people.

Have you even been to a majorly Muslim country before?

you are apoligising for the 60 odd million muslims that were show there to have some sympathy with islamist groups like IS. i think if there were 60m germans that showed symapthy with the nazis , there would be cauue for concern.

it s concerning that you are not bothered- and it is that exact attitude that encourages the growth of islamic terrorism from withi muslim communities
Original post by NickLCFC
Stop acting like 60,000,000 in just those few countries is just a small minority of people. It may be small percentage-wise, but a number that high is pretty alarming considering this is ISIS we're talking about. Maybe they're not technically supporters and maybe they don't share the same extremist views but they know actually who ISIS are, what they do and what they stand for. Having 60,000,000+ people 'favouring' them (in just that selection of countries) is worrying.

It seems like the terrorists have succeeded in terrorising you today.
Original post by Reformed
you are apoligising for the 60 odd million muslims that were show there to have some sympathy with islamist groups like IS. i think if there were 60m germans that showed symapthy with the nazis , there would be cauue for concern.

it s concerning that you are not bothered- and it is that exact attitude that encourages the growth of islamic terrorism from withi muslim communities

Have you even been to a majorly Muslim country? I've been to Indonesia, Morocco and Syria (before the war) without concern. They are all great people, but obviously the terrorists in Brussels today have achieved their aim of terrorising and scaring you.
Fudge ISIS, fudge islam, fudge extremism and fudge all this scaremongering!
Terrorism is here to stay, is there any point in discussing it?!
we get it. it's bad.
and it does have a religion, stop the bs apologists.
Having a favourable view of ISIS means that you see ISIS as good.
Ladies and gentlemen, I bid you goodnight.

Trump is an enemy of multiculturalism!

Let us hope, not fear! Love, tolerance and understanding in the wake of these attacks, not hate, intolerance and ignorance!

Peace! x

Seeing something as good is not supporting them.

These people are the people who have suffered from American intervention and Assad's warcrimes as a result of the Syrian conflict. That's why they may support ISIS, not to mention some of these people live in the middle of nowhere and aren't even aware of ISIL's atrocities.
It seems like the terrorists have succeeded in terrorising you today.

So you don't think that 60,000,000+ people (from a selection of just 9 countries) finding ISIS to be 'favourable' is worrying? Not to mention the vast amount of people who couldn't decide if they found ISIS unfavourable or not?

When you include all the other countries, you'd probably end up at about 150,000,000 people finding ISIS 'favourable' and that's just a LOW estimate.
Have you even been to a majorly Muslim country? I've been to Indonesia, Morocco and Syria (before the war) without concern. They are all great people, but obviously the terrorists in Brussels today have achieved their aim of terrorising and scaring you.

yes i have been to various parts of the middle east ( not pleasant) and malaysia and indonesia ( far better becuase they are effectively governed as non islamic states and non muslims have significant political influence over there.

the point has not been about majority of muslims, its about the effect of islamic doctrine - and ultimatly its only muslims this has an effect on
this has not scared me - im fully aware islamic terrorism has existed in the islamic world before today and indeed before you and i were born. its an issue that has neevr been tackled by the islamic world - it has been apoligised for by like people you for decades and hence why its still a major problem for the world now. its roots are in the islamic ideology and the politicisation of such until thats aknowledged adn addressed, the problems islam creates can never be dealt with

Right, because personal anecdotal experience of a tiny cross section of people is really more valuable that global surveys and statistics..
Oh for goodness sake I've had enough of you. I've explained it about 10 times to you alone.

The question asked was "Suicide bombings can _____ be justified against civilian targets in order to defend Islam from its enemies."

This does not show that any of the voters have the same extremist views as ISIS, the only thing it tells you is that some people think it is justifiable to attack civilians to defend Islam.

OK. That's a very funny form of 'less than 1% are extremist muslims'

Some (read up to 1 in 4) muslims in middle eastern and Northern African think it justifiable to kill civilians with bombs.

Not sure how it doesn't show that, like ISIS, they support suicide bombing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending