The Student Room Group

Will companies hire me as a full-time employee if I'm at uni?

I'm currently at uni studying a degree but my hours are extremely limited, like 5 hours per week. Also, I only have two weeks left of classes left. After that, I'll be free of education for about 4 months. I'm looking to get a full-time job in that space but I'm under the impression that places will be reluctant to hire me because I am also at uni and that is my top priority. Is that the case or not? Do you know anybody that works a full-time job whilst at uni?
Reply 1
Original post by historeek
I'm currently at uni studying a degree but my hours are extremely limited, like 5 hours per week. Also, I only have two weeks left of classes left. After that, I'll be free of education for about 4 months. I'm looking to get a full-time job in that space but I'm under the impression that places will be reluctant to hire me because I am also at uni and that is my top priority. Is that the case or not? Do you know anybody that works a full-time job whilst at uni?

What sort of job were you thinking?
Reply 2
Original post by Alexion
What sort of job were you thinking?

Something in retail or food places
Reply 3
Something in retail or food places

I'd say the best thing is to try and find a part-time job and then book as much overtime as possible then. I know someone who works 48h per week at Sainsbury's (gap year) but she's only contracted 12h pw.
If the hours fit then they will be ok, but uni hours can change, so they might not like it. they may ofc have flexible contracts which you can fit round.
Reply 5
Original post by Alexion
I'd say the best thing is to try and find a part-time job and then book as much overtime as possible then. I know someone who works 48h per week at Sainsbury's (gap year) but she's only contracted 12h pw.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
Reply 6
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Positive there is you're not locked down to working the whole time, it's easier to take breaks when you want them :cute:
Just get a low hours contract and take extra (most retailers work like this) I was doing 30hrs p/w in term time during my third year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending