The Student Room Group

How to stop pasta from sticking together?

Hi guys,

Whenever I cook pasta (penne), I often find that the pasta tubes stick together, so that I have to prize them apart gently with a knife while cooking. I stir the pasta continuously while cooking it to try and stop it from sticking, but are there any other ways to prevent/reduce the sticking?

Scroll to see replies

Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water, or a bit of olive oil.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Try adding some olive oil to the boiling water (2 tablespoons)
Add some olive oil to the boiling water
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Add a pinch of salt to the hot water, or a bit of olive oil.

I forgot to add that I always add salt to the water anyway. I will try the oil idea though, thanks :smile:
Add salt/olive oil and don't overcook it or overfill it. Al dente can be nice.
Reply 6
Use enough water so the pasta can move around easily.
Wait wait wait!!!!
Listen to this...when you drain and rinse the pasta...coat it with olive oil...
So immediately after draining, toss it in olive oil and that won't make it stick!
Cheers everyone, it seems like adding a bit of olive oil is the way to go :h:
Original post by jenigma
Add salt/olive oil and don't overcook it or overfill it. Al dente can be nice.

Original post by Maker
Use enough water so the pasta can move around easily.

Best answers.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Best answers.

Flattered.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi guys,

Whenever I cook pasta (penne), I often find that the pasta tubes stick together, so that I have to prize them apart gently with a knife while cooking. I stir the pasta continuously while cooking it to try and stop it from sticking, but are there any other ways to prevent/reduce the sticking?

Adding oil, contrary to popular belief, doesn't really do too much given that oil is not water soluble and will just float on top of the water rather than actually affect the pasta. Tossing the pasta with oil afterwards will obviously do something, but comes with the side effect of covering the pasta with oil which may not be ideal depending on the dish and won't help you if it's sticking together during cooking.

I second the suggestion made above of making sure the pasta has plenty of room to move around while cooking, so try using a larger pot with more water. I've always just cooked pasta in bog standard salted boiling water and stirred frequently from the get go, and literally never had pasta stick together.
Thanks Gofre. I do always use a large pot with plenty of water and salt, but I still seem to have the sticking issue despite continuous stirring. Perhaps I am just unlucky :lol:
Thanks Gofre. I do always use a large pot with plenty of water and salt, but I still seem to have the sticking issue despite continuous stirring. Perhaps I am just unlucky :lol:

How long into the cooking does the pasta begin to stick?
Hmm, not very long, a few minutes usually
Add a little butter or olive oil as everyone is saying above whilst its cooking
Hmm, not very long, a few minutes usually

Very odd :holmes: Are you adding the pasta to boiling water or to cold water then bringing it up to the boil?
Stir it every few minutes.
Adding the pasta to boiling water :smile:
I normally put a pinch of salt in boiling water and some olive oil and my pasta is always separated nicely. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest