The Student Room Group

Maths and Chemistry struggles

So I've been seriously struggling with A level Chemistry and Further Chemistry, and it's all down to the fact that I find maths much more of a challenge than most people... It's embarrassing to admit that this is my fourth time retaking GCSE maths and that I struggle with basic maths (times tables, mental maths, division etc.) I try to do as much independent study as I can but it just doesn't cut it, so of course this is having a huge negative impact on Chemistry, the calculations are just on another level to me. I ask for extra help and I don't get much from my Chem teacher other than him making me feel stupid for not getting the basics and picking on me in front of the class to answer a calculation on the board - knowing full well that I can't, only my further chemistry teacher has given me almost a walk through with the chemical equilibrium exam because she knows how much I find calculations a struggle.

In short, if there are any techniques, resources or advice on how to help me with Chemistry and maths that you can give me then that would be greatly appreciated! I'm going to spend the majority of Easter trying to boost my grades, I can't afford to fail a single exam...
My parents think I should speak to someone about my struggle with maths, just in case it's some kind of dyscalculia or something but I'm not so sure on that... :/
A level Further Chemistry?
Original post by Lucasium
A level Further Chemistry?

Well I'm doing an access course which includes Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry and Further Chemistry which is covering the majority of the A level material. Further Chem is mostly calculations and less practical than normal chemistry.
Original post by Nicoley-oley

My parents think I should speak to someone about my struggle with maths, just in case it's some kind of dyscalculia or something but I'm not so sure on that... :/

Maybe you should listen to your parents just so you've cancelled out every possible reason there is to you finding maths so difficult.
I can only advise you to practice questions and revise mathematical concepts everyday. If it's simple calculations that you're struggling with it could just mean that you need to pace yourself when answering questions... (everyone makes silly mistakes) the amount of times i've done things like 3x2=5 is ridiculous lol.
And also just try and be a bit more confident with maths, i know having 4 retakes can be a bit of a downer but you seem motivated to do really well and I'm sure you will with the right amount of dedication:tongue:
It doesn't hurt to speak to somebody.

If it turns out to be dyscalculia, then you move on from there. That could result in you getting more help from the college and also more time in exams.

Also, don't feel bad about failing. Grades don't define you and grades aren't set in stone. The best way to look at a bad grade, is to see it as an opportunity to do better next time and improve your ability.

When I first took my GCSE exams, I failed all of them, except for English Language & English Literature. It wasn't until two years later that I retook some GCSE exams, got the grades I needed and now I'm in my first year of college studying AS-Levels.

And as for retakes, when you get your final grade, it doesn't say how many tries or how many years it took you to get it, it only says the grade you got. There's no need to feel embarrassed.

For revision or tips, I would say that if you're struggling with the basics, go back to them and learn them. There are lots of good resources online, youtube videos, etc.

http://mathswebsite.com/ This website, HegartysMaths, has lots of good videos on the basics and I'm sure there are lots of other resources online you can utilize.

Good luck
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
Maybe you should listen to your parents just so you've cancelled out every possible reason there is to you finding maths so difficult.
I can only advise you to practice questions and revise mathematical concepts everyday. If it's simple calculations that you're struggling with it could just mean that you need to pace yourself when answering questions... (everyone makes silly mistakes) the amount of times i've done things like 3x2=5 is ridiculous lol.
And also just try and be a bit more confident with maths, i know having 4 retakes can be a bit of a downer but you seem motivated to do really well and I'm sure you will with the right amount of dedication:tongue:

Part of me is thinking that I just need to practice more but then another part of me is telling me that the fact that I've failed maths every time in the past is a sign that I need extra help... I just feel like I'm dumb enough as it is... The last thing I need is a label to go with it haha :redface:

I definitely lack any and all confidence with maths, especially when someone sits down to help, it's like all my knowledge of numbers just escapes and I can barely add small numbers in front of people, it's just so damn frustrating!

I'm definitely going to try and find some past papers and try to re learn the basics, I've got two weeks of uninterrupted peace ahead of me so that's the best time to give it a shot, I think if I still haven't had some form of breakthrough after Easter then I might try and get some extra help :frown:
Original post by Nicoley-oley
Well I'm doing an access course which includes Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry and Further Chemistry which is covering the majority of the A level material. Further Chem is mostly calculations and less practical than normal chemistry.

For chem, try MaChemGuy on YT.
He makes Chem seem super easy!
Hope this helps.
Original post by Aubrey_79
For chem, try MaChemGuy on YT.
He makes Chem seem super easy!
Hope this helps.

Thank you! I'll be sure to check it out this week!
Original post by thegingerafro
It doesn't hurt to speak to somebody.

If it turns out to be dyscalculia, then you move on from there. That could result in you getting more help from the college and also more time in exams.

Also, don't feel bad about failing. Grades don't define you and grades aren't set in stone. The best way to look at a bad grade, is to see it as an opportunity to do better next time and improve your ability.

When I first took my GCSE exams, I failed all of them, except for English Language & English Literature. It wasn't until two years later that I retook some GCSE exams, got the grades I needed and now I'm in my first year of college studying AS-Levels.

And as for retakes, when you get your final grade, it doesn't say how many tries or how many years it took you to get it, it only says the grade you got. There's no need to feel embarrassed.

For revision or tips, I would say that if you're struggling with the basics, go back to them and learn them. There are lots of good resources online, youtube videos, etc.

http://mathswebsite.com/ This website, HegartysMaths, has lots of good videos on the basics and I'm sure there are lots of other resources online you can utilize.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice, my main reason for panicking is because I'm hoping to start uni in September and I'm already a 'mature' student, so having to put it off for another year would be my last resort really... I'm definitely going to try and re learn the basics though, it seems to be the best way forward for me :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending