The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

This is the official thread for this unit. Please message me any resources you find useful and I will post them here to the original post.

Websites

www.technocratnotes.com I very much recommend you download their app it is quite awesome.and good revision apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.app&hl=en_GB

you can find definitions here = http://technocratnotes.com/paper-1-5/

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/

http://cowenphysics.com/

further reading

https://www.newscientist.com/
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nickg15b
This is the official thread for this unit. Please message me any resources you find useful and I will post them here to the original post.

Websites

www.technocratnotes.com I very much recommend you download their app it is quite awesome.

Yo babe is the technocrates app available on the apple app store?
Reply 2
Original post by Hot&SpicyChicken
Yo babe is the technocrates app available on the apple app store?

I dont think so. You should tell them to make one. Its annoying becuase I would love to download it onto my IPAD. :angry:
Reply 3
hi just wondering if you knew the answer to this q that has been bugging me... it asked you to draw the resistance against current graph for a filament lamp... one of the marking points was that it should be non zero... how can there be resistance when there is no current? :frown:
Original post by Lola1244
hi just wondering if you knew the answer to this q that has been bugging me... it asked you to draw the resistance against current graph for a filament lamp... one of the marking points was that it should be non zero... how can there be resistance when there is no current? :frown:

The filament lamp will have a resistance at the beginning when there is no current, let's say X. As you add current, the filament heats up and your resistance then changes with current.

Think about it: any component will have resistance whether or not current is flowing through it, because it is a property of the component. If you were to draw a graph of the resistance of a fixed 5 ohm resistor against current, would you start with your resistance at 0 or will it be a horizontal line through 5? Same logic applies here, just that, now, our resistance is changing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Okay i'm new to this website and since i haven't found any other thread for the upcoming exams i'm gona just through my questions here.......i have attached an image below which is taken from a model answer sheet , can anyone please explain to me why the answer is C??...I find both C and D to have both vector and scalar quantities..!!!...what am i missing here?

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 3.01.23 AM.png
Original post by jmahtab
Okay i'm new to this website and since i haven't found any other thread for the upcoming exams i'm gona just through my questions here.......i have attached an image below which is taken from a model answer sheet , can anyone please explain to me why the answer is C??...I find both C and D to have both vector and scalar quantities..!!!...what am i missing here?

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 3.01.23 AM.png

Remembering that a vector is a quantity with an ascribed direction and a scalar just has a magnitude,

A: is force a scalar - does, for example, a pushing force not have direction?

B: does time have a direction?

C: this is right as we know, because time has no direction and velocity does

D: does mass have a direction or is that weight? And is velocity a scalar?
Reply 7
Original post by kingaaran
Remembering that a vector is a quantity with an ascribed direction and a scalar just has a magnitude,

A: is force a scalar - does, for example, a pushing force not have direction?

B: does time have a direction?

C: this is right as we know, because time has no direction and velocity does

D: does mass have a direction or is that weight? And is velocity a scalar?

i'm sorry this is actually quite embarrassing...i was looking column wise..
Reply 8
The filament lamp will have a resistance at the beginning when there is no current, let's say X. As you add current, the filament heats up and your resistance then changes with current.

Think about it: any component will have resistance whether or not current is flowing through it, because it is a property of the component. If you were to draw a graph of the resistance of a fixed 5 ohm resistor against current, would you start with your resistance at 0 or will it be a horizontal line through 5? Same logic applies here, just that, now, our resistance is changing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

makes so much more sense now haha thank you !
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya! I'm really stuck on this q and I would really appreciate it if you helped out :smile:
Three identical cells, each of resistance R, are connected in series, with an external resistor in series which also has a resistance of R. The current in the external resistor is I. If one of the cells is reversed in the circuit what is the new current in the external resistor.

I have tried to find the electromotive force for the normal circuit...
E= V +Ir
So E= IR + 3IR SO E=4IR
if you connect one of the cells opposite then the total electromotive force is surely 8/3 IR as that's 2/3 of the original electromotive force... Let x be the new current
so... 8/3IR = x*R + x*3R (I'm assuming that even though the polarity has been reversed, the resistance still remains)
This gives you with 2/3 I but the answer is 1/3 I and I just don't understand why :frown:((
P.S. It's one third of the emf I understand now so don't worry :smile:
http://technocratnotes.com/paper-1-5/

You can find definitions here for anyone who is struggling with what certain terms mean :smile:.
Original post by Lola1244
P.S. It's one third of the emf I understand now so don't worry :smile:

Yay! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions :smile:
Yo babes, whats up with the new physics specification? Is it any different to previous years?
Reply 14
Yo babes, whats up with the new physics specification? Is it any different to previous years?

yh it definitely is. thats why you need to have the spec at hand or have it atleast book marked on your laptop. so that you learn what they want you to learn and then practice these topics.
Can someone please send me a link to the new specification. Thanks!
has anyone tried the specimen papers. I found them hard lol
Can someone please send me a link to the new specification. Thanks!

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/specifications/AQA-7407-7408-SP-2015-V1-2.PDF

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we need to know about the experiment of measuring ionisation energy?

:biggrin: :007: :007: :007: :007: :007: :007: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest