The Student Room Group

HELP! Need to quit my job?!

I work part-time whilst at uni and I absolutely adore my colleagues.

The problem is that my bosses, as lovely as they are, don't respect the fact that I have uni work which takes priority - for example, I was once told I should miss two lectures to work because I could catch up, I once had to run from a lecture to work a six hour shift and missed lunch, they last time I was in I was meant to finish at 3pm but got told to stay until 7.30pm. I also often have breakdowns as a result of the job - I've cried in Tesco because I don't know which food to buy because I'm so mentally drained, I've ranted to many of my friends to the point of tears, and often I return with physical injuries because one aspect of the job can result in an insane amount of bruising on the arms.

I'd like to quit. My friends would like me to quit. But how do I go about this without making my colleagues dislike me or making it too awkward to pop in and say hello again?
Original post by Anonymous
I work part-time whilst at uni and I absolutely adore my colleagues.

The problem is that my bosses, as lovely as they are, don't respect the fact that I have uni work which takes priority - for example, I was once told I should miss two lectures to work because I could catch up, I once had to run from a lecture to work a six hour shift and missed lunch, they last time I was in I was meant to finish at 3pm but got told to stay until 7.30pm. I also often have breakdowns as a result of the job - I've cried in Tesco because I don't know which food to buy because I'm so mentally drained, I've ranted to many of my friends to the point of tears, and often I return with physical injuries because one aspect of the job can result in an insane amount of bruising on the arms.

I'd like to quit. My friends would like me to quit. But how do I go about this without making my colleagues dislike me or making it too awkward to pop in and say hello again?

Explain your situation and the effects it has on you, and that as they simply aren't being flexible enough to both study and work, that you will have to leave your job.

How many hours do they make you do, and what area of work is it that you have been in?
Reply 2
Original post by hellodave5
Explain your situation and the effects it has on you, and that as they simply aren't being flexible enough to both study and work, that you will have to leave your job.

How many hours do they make you do, and what area of work is it that you have been in?

Hours vary from 6-20 hours a week, sometimes they call the night before to say I've been put on the rota for a next day shift because someone else can't make it.

It's catering - specifically waitressing.
have you spoken honestly with your managers about needing things to be different? are you on a certain number of contracted hours (in which case you can turn down any hours over this time).

if you're sure there's no alternative to quitting then I would just explain that you've taken on too much at the moment and are going to need to focus on your studies for a while so you'll have to quit, work your notice period!!! if you're friendly and don't phrase it as 'you don't understand and it's your fault' but 'this isn't working and university is the priority' I'm sure they will understand
I'm sure if your colleagues are as nice as you say they are, they'll understand where you're coming from and want what's best for you, which would clearly be quitting this job. Say you'll stay in contact and just make plans/conversation outside work and focus on your studies :smile:
What blondie 987 said and surely you keep contact with them anyway on social media. Just do a standard resignation letter, be thankful and say youve loved working with them, but you now need to concentrate on your studies etc. People quit all the time. Give them the required notice and if they ask maybe give them a few more weeks if they need it and you dont mind.

I wouldnt bother mentioning the stress etc unless you wnat to stay because that makes them feel theyve mistreated you and theres no need if you are leaving. Dont burn bridges.
Original post by Anonymous
Hours vary from 6-20 hours a week, sometimes they call the night before to say I've been put on the rota for a next day shift because someone else can't make it.

It's catering - specifically waitressing.

Ah. Unpredictability is never nice.
How many hours would be okay to work for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending