The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Ask a Kent student :)

Hey prospective student. My names Arturo and I'm currently a first year undergrad studying Biomedical sciences at Kent. I'm also part of the American football team and lots of other societies at Kent. If you have any questions about the uni, biosciences, sport or Canterbury in general then feel free to ask! I'm more than happy to help :smile:
Hi Arturo, I will be doing my MSc in Conservation Biology at Kent this coming September and can't decide between the listed accommodation options :
Woolf College
Darwin Studio Flats
Keynes Studio Flats
Darwin Houses
Park Wood - Farthings Court

I know you're an undergrad but I would appreciate any information you could give me really. Thanks!
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by AditiRajan
Hi Arturo, I will be doing my MSc in Conservation Biology at Kent this coming September and can't decide between the listed accommodation options :
Woolf College
Darwin Studio Flats
Keynes Studio Flats
Darwin Houses

I know you're an undergrad but I would appreciate any information you could give me really. Thanks!

I'm not a postgrad but in your situation I would probably go for Woolf or Park Wood. This is because Keynes and Darwin tend to be noisy because of undergrads.
Original post by arturomo
Hey prospective student. My names Arturo and I'm currently a first year undergrad studying Biomedical sciences at Kent. I'm also part of the American football team and lots of other societies at Kent. If you have any questions about the uni, biosciences, sport or Canterbury in general then feel free to ask! I'm more than happy to help :smile:

Is it easy to get into the lower american football or rugby teams if you have the will and the build but have never done any sports at secondary before?

I prioritized my work over sports and now I am starting to develop an interest in it.
I've heard a lot of negative things about the Medway Campus.
Is the Medway Campus any good?
Original post by squirrology
I've heard a lot of negative things about the Medway Campus.
Is the Medway Campus any good?

Medway is a hellhole stay away from it. It has the highest teen pregnancy rate in europe if you want an indication of what It is like.
What are the best halls without en suite facilities at canterbury?
How does your timetable work? is it 5 days a week? and what times etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Slim Shady 96

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really depends on your degree and your course. STEM degrees tend to have significantly more weekly contact hours compared to other degrees. I know people studying humanities, arts, and similar degrees who often have as few as 5-10 contact hours per week. I also know people doing sciences, mathematics, etc. and some courses often have as many as 25-30 contact hours. I am doing technology degree and in my first term I had around 15 contact hours. The contact time then went down because of my course being more practical than most courses which means getting a lot of time to work on big projects.

To your question about what times I can only tell you that it does vary. From my own experience timetables can often be designed very poorly. Let's say as an example you happen to have 5 contact hours for one of your weeks. This will not mean you will have a nice full day of classes and then the rest of the week off. This will often mean you will have those 5 hours spread out through the entire week at the most random times. One day you might have one 9am lecture and your day is over, while the other day your lecture can start at 5pm. Timetables at Kent are created based on availability of lecturers and facilities. Which means they do not take into account the comfort of the students. I mean most people don't find it as a big deal, but I personally prefer having 1-2 full days rather than having 5 days with huge gaps between the classes. Obviously this will not be an issue for those having many contact hours.

What you can do is go to your course description on Kent's website and look up each module's detailed description. Most modules tell you how many contact hours you will approximately have for that module. You will have a good idea of how busy you will be. You can also email or give a call to your academic school. Obviously take into account that you're only doing approximately 4 modules per term.
Original post by daryZ
It really depends on your degree and your course. STEM degrees tend to have significantly more weekly contact hours compared to other degrees. I know people studying humanities, arts, and similar degrees who often have as few as 5-10 contact hours per week. I also know people doing sciences, mathematics, etc. and some courses often have as many as 25-30 contact hours. I am doing technology degree and in my first term I had around 15 contact hours. The contact time then went down because of my course being more practical than most courses which means getting a lot of time to work on big projects.

To your question about what times I can only tell you that it does vary. From my own experience timetables can often be designed very poorly. Let's say as an example you happen to have 5 contact hours for one of your weeks. This will not mean you will have a nice full day of classes and then the rest of the week off. This will often mean you will have those 5 hours spread out through the entire week at the most random times. One day you might have one 9am lecture and your day is over, while the other day your lecture can start at 5pm. Timetables at Kent are created based on availability of lecturers and facilities. Which means they do not take into account the comfort of the students. I mean most people don't find it as a big deal, but I personally prefer having 1-2 full days rather than having 5 days with huge gaps between the classes. Obviously this will not be an issue for those having many contact hours.

What you can do is go to your course description on Kent's website and look up each module's detailed description. Most modules tell you how many contact hours you will approximately have for that module. You will have a good idea of how busy you will be. You can also email or give a call to your academic school. Obviously take into account that you're only doing approximately 4 modules per term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slim Shady 96

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can vouch for the law students, here.

My week is 12 hours of contact time between four modules (we do two 15 credit modules that last half a term each). We have two lectures per module a week plus an hour long seminar. Thankfully for us, all of our lectures are in one place.

The timings of these is quite precarious at times. For instance this term I had a 9am lecture and an 11 am seminar so you can guess which I turned up to. Seminars for law are compulsory but not lectures, I've heard where other degrees have sign in sheets for lectures.

As daryz said, your day can vary hugely. Wednesdays for me this term were basically a 9 am lecture in my favourite module and nothing else. Mondays however would be an 11am seminar, 1 pm lecture, 3pm seminar and a 4pm lecture (term one, that is). Your timetable will be different from others because I know a person with every seminar on a Monday whereas some, like myself, have them spread evenly.

Your seminars and lectures tend to end 5 minutes before the hour. I say 'tend to', because, you guessed it, some lecturers and seminars go over time. Sometimes it might be that someone had a particularly long, unintelligible question while other times it might be they turned up late. Not much can be done except grin and bear it (or leave).
Reply 11
Original post by AditiRajan
Woolf College
Darwin Studio Flats
Keynes Studio Flats
Darwin Houses

what was your first degree in and why have you decided to do a bio conversion ?
how does parking work on the uni?? is there a permit or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I am an international student who will be studying at the school of biosciences starting in September. Which accommodations would be the best choice, for things like comfort and being close to my classes?
Hey everyone,

I got accepted for a foundation progamme in Social Sciences and I would really like to work when I arrive in September, is it possible for me to start doing some application now? Thank you
Reply 15
Hey there, i am hoping to get into the uni of kent if all exam results go well, studying accounting and finance. The current issue i am having would be finding out where to live, being the Canterbury campus. I drive so this is one thing to mention another would be that i can pay in total 4-5 hounds per year for a room but i dont know which one. One essential would be wi-fi as well as this preferably an en-suite. If there are any rooms that are also near the centre of things such as lecture rooms or the gym this would also be ideal. At the moment i am torn between Rutherford, Elliot and Parkwood, you're help would be appreciated thanks.
Reply 16
Hi Arturo, I will be doing my L.L.B at Kent this coming September and can't decide between the accommodation options.

I would love to live in an en-suite room providing breakfast and near the centre of things such as lecture rooms or the gym this would also be ideal.

I would appreciate any information you could give me really. Thanks!

Thank you
Original post by arturomo

Hello!
How are you?
By any chance, do you know anyone who can provide me with pictures or details about how the ensuite large rooms look like? If possible, I'd like to know more about the accommodation there! Im looking for larger/safer ensuite that have more private amenities (My own bathroom/kitchen/etc)

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending