The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should women's bathrooms have urinals?

In our modern society which has embraced ideological transgenderism, we ought to acknowledge and accept that some transgender women were born in the wrong body and therefore regrettably have a penis.

These transgender women do, of course, use women's bathrooms. Suppose, however, that some of these women would very much like to use a urinal.

Why would they want to use a urinal, I hear you ask. Well, a urinal has some obvious benefits, being both quicker and more hygienic. But that is besides the point.

If we as a society accept that both men and women can have penises, isn't it flagrantly discriminatory to place urinals exclusively in men's bathrooms? Shouldn't we enable anyone with a penis - regardless of their gender - to use a urinal, should they wish to?

Surely, therefore, we should insist that both women's and men's bathrooms are fitted with urinals.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definition of a first world problem right here.
Reply 2
haha they can just stand up when they go to a bathroom with standard toilets or just sit down.
The obvious solution is to make all toilets gender-neutral.
Or just have unisex bathrooms...
this is the most ridiculous thread ive ever seen jesus christ.
I would guess that a transgender woman would want to seem as much as possible like a "normal" woman as possible, and probably wouldn't support the idea of urinals in women's bathrooms. Or, at least - let's give them the opportunity to ask for urinals themselves, rather than foisting urinals upon them, shall we? I haven't heard any demands for them.
Reply 7
Why not? :P
Reply 8
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I would guess that a transgender woman would want to seem as much as possible like a "normal" woman as possible, and probably wouldn't support the idea of urinals in women's bathrooms. Or, at least - let's give them the opportunity to ask for urinals themselves, rather than foisting urinals upon them, shall we? I haven't heard any demands for them.

I'm not suggesting that we should be "foisting urinals upon them". I'm simply advocating that they should have that option should they wish to use it.
Reply 9
Your analogy is flawed and misleading. It's irrelevant to the fundamental issue of discrimination.

A better analogy is tampon-dispensers in women's bathrooms. Should a transgender man, who still has a biological need for tampons, have to use a women's bathroom - effectively dismissing his own gender which he has worked so for society to acknowledge - just to access the tampon-dispenser? That's horrible discrimination. Surely it would be better to offer tampon-dispensers in men's bathroom's too, so that transgender men can comfortably access them.
Original post by Thaladan
In our modern society which has embraced ideological transgenderism, we ought to acknowledge and accept that some transgender women were born in the wrong body and therefore regrettably have a penis.

These transgender women do, of course, use women's bathrooms. Suppose, however, that some of these women would very much like to use a urinal.

Why would they want to use a urinal, I hear you ask. Well, a urinal has some obvious benefits, being both quicker and more hygienic. But that is besides the point.

If we as a society accept that both men and women can have penises, isn't it flagrantly discriminatory to place urinals exclusively in men's bathrooms? Shouldn't we enable anyone with a penis - regardless of their gender - to use a urinal, should they wish to?

Surely, therefore, we should insist that both women's and men's bathrooms are fitted with urinals.

Wait a second
1. I'm sure this hasn't happened yet and most likely never will since people will continue to judge and some will still discriminate
This is the stupidest ****in suggestion I've seen on this website in terms of "equality".
no I think if you have a penis you shouldn't be allowed in the women's bathroom

Spoiler

Reply 13
Let's consult the Cambridge Dictionary...

discrimination (noun) - treating a ​person or ​particular ​group of ​people ​differently, ​especially in a ​worse way from the way in which you ​treat other ​people, because of ​their ​skin ​colour, ​sex, ​sexuality, etc.

Transgender women are treated differently from men because of their gender. Transgender women cannot use a urinal, despite being able to, while men can.

That is discrimination.
Reply 14
Original post by Vikingninja
This is the stupidest ****in suggestion I've seen on this website in terms of "equality".

Why's it stupid?
Why's it stupid?

Don't need to use a urinal, its some male preference thing. Also quite frankly if someone views themselves as female then they use whats available. Absolutely no need for urinals in womens toilets for a very small number of people when they don't even need it.

I suggest you do some reading on genetics and physiology before posting again.

Oh, 2016.

Yes, if you accept that it's discriminatory. No, even in that case we shouldn't insist that both women's and men's bathrooms are fitted with urinals. The present facilities work fine, and it would be something of a waste of space and plumbing to fit a urinal in a woman's bathroom which would very close to never be used.
I have no problem with accommodating peoples identities.

But in other areas of the world anyone who isn't heterosexual/Cisgender is executed. Maybe we should focus our efforts on that first rather than something so insignificant in comparison?
Original post by Barney6262
I have no problem with accommodating peoples identities.

But in other areas of the world anyone who isn't heterosexual/Cisgender is executed. Maybe we should focus our efforts on that first rather than something so insignificant in comparison?

Why cant we do both?

Latest

Trending

Trending