The Student Room Group

What's with the hate on mixed race?

Growing up and in general life, I've never thought mixed race was anything bad or offensive or anything.

But recently I've had a lot of hate from certain people who seem to despise the concept of mixed race, people saying if you have a black ancestor you are black end of story no mixed race. Apparently if I am of African descent and don't identify as black, I hate myself and a whole bunch of stuff.

I mean I know race isn't really a scientific concept, like I acknowledge this but I just want a term to categorise what I am, it doesnt have to be anything deep.

But instead I get some rants about like colonialism, how white people introduced race to black people, like people are saying that if I don't identify as black it is because of white supremacy and stuff like that.

Why do people take this so seriously and get super offended, I was told I was using mental gymnastics to identify as mixed race and that I was '****ed up' and 'sad' and a bunch of ****.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I think this happens because they are usually amazingly good looking!
Original post by Dinasaurus
Growing up and in general life, I've never thought mixed race was anything bad or offensive or anything.

But recently I've had a lot of hate from certain people who seem to despise the concept of mixed race, people saying if you have a black ancestor you are black end of story no mixed race.

I mean I know race isn't really a scientific concept, like I acknowledge this but I just want a term to categorise what I am, it doesnt have to be anything deep.

But instead I get some rants about like colonialism, how white people introduced race to black people, like people are saying that if I don't identify as black it is because of white supremacy and stuff like that.

Why do people take this so seriously and get super offended, I was told I was using mental gymnastics to identify as mixed race and that I was '****ed up' and 'sad' and a bunch of ****.

You are human. End of story.
Reply 3
Original post by M14B
I think this happens because they are usually amazingly good looking!

So you think it is jealousy?

I always get black people online saying like doesn't matter how white you are, to the white men you are just another n-word, and they get really fascinated around how I'm not white but the thing is I have never once claimed to be white, I have a lot more Asian ancestry than I do white ancestry but people just entirely ignore that and make it a black vs white thing.
Apparently if I am of African descent and don't identify as black, I hate myself and a whole bunch of stuff.

Where did you get this from? :s-smilie:

Spoiler

I just want a term to categorise what I am, it doesnt have to be anything deep.

Why not choose one for yourself instead of being labelled by what society thinks arer correct norms?:s-smilie:

Ignore the haters:biggrin:

I was told I was using mental gymnastics to identify as mixed race and that I was '****ed up' and 'sad' and a bunch of ****.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
So you think it is jealousy?

I always get black people online saying like doesn't matter how white you are, to the white men you are just another n-word, and they get really fascinated around how I'm not white but the thing is I have never once claimed to be white, I have a lot more Asian ancestry than I do white ancestry but people just entirely ignore that and make it a black vs white thing.

I think so.
I'm half European, half African.

I look like i'm Asian.

Fun times.

:congrats:
I just want a term to categorise what I am, it doesnt have to be anything deep.

Why?
Reply 8
Original post by ForestShadow
Where did you get this from? :s-smilie:

Why not choose one for yourself instead of being labelled by what society thinks arer correct norms?:s-smilie:

I chose mixed-race or as people in my country say 'Creole' and it has fit me well in 99% of my life but it seems online, its like people are preparing for some impending race war in their mind and are trying to recruit me to one side. Sounds silly but that's honestly how it feels.

I've said that the majority of people from my country identify as mixed and they've told me this is just because of white supremacy. Or if I talk about race people think I'm being racist or think I'm superior or so much stuff.

Like to me race is like a cool little side thing like hair colour, it shouldn't matter, it doesn't make you better or worse but it can sometimes be interesting to talk about not like hate on one or another.

Bizarre, I didn't think so either. Mixed race people tend to be extremely attractive and have good genes (this is known as hybrid vigour, the opposite of inbreeding)

But recently I've had a lot of hate from certain people who seem to despise the concept of mixed race, people saying if you have a black ancestor you are black end of story no mixed race. Apparently if I am of African descent and don't identify as black, I hate myself and a whole bunch of stuff.

lol have you been spending too much time on twitter?

whoever above said it was out of jealousy was right, people who do that are jealous.

To them, their comments are aimed at mixed race people who shun their black roots and try and be "white man's best friend" , but the fact is when have I ever seen a mixed person do this rofl unless it's on some random Jeremy kyle episode.

Then again, it is also aimed at mixed race people who think they're above fully black people, "darkskinned" want to remind "lighties" that they are not above them (which they're obviously not), uno all the lightie > darkskin banter the darkskins get a bit hurt over it all.
Original post by morgan8002
Why?

Hard to explain exactly, its mostly because my country is so small that online its hard to associate with simply my country of birth as nobody posts anything about it. But on twitter or other sites, you say people post "Growing up Asian" "Growing up White" etc like jokes about their childhood being X race or posting things like only black people will get this joke. I look at these things and I never relate to any, its less of a race thing and more a nationality thing.

I mean I associate as British as well.
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Bizarre, I didn't think so either. Mixed race people tend to be extremely attractive and have good genes (this is known as hybrid vigour, the opposite of inbreeding)

If only that applied to more of us ahhaha.

Original post by alkaline.
lol have you been spending too much time on twitter?

whoever above said it was out of jealousy was right, people who do that are jealous.

To them, their comments are aimed at mixed race people who shun their black roots and try and be "white man's best friend" , but the fact is when have I ever seen a mixed person do this rofl unless it's on some random Jeremy kyle episode.

Then again, it is also aimed at mixed race people who think they're above fully black people, "darkskinned" want to remind "lighties" that they are not above them (which they're obviously not), uno all the lightie > darkskin banter the darkskins get a bit hurt over it all.

Yeah, sites like twitter have all this stuff but the annoying thing is I'm not even like only black/white which is the annoying thing. Then people get mad cause I have mainly white friends and stuff, its not my fault, I live in England in a city with barely any African people. Most people who aren't white Brits are Asian. I'm not going to shun the majority to solely hang out with Africans and start doing some Afro-centric protests.

Quick Reply

Latest