The Student Room Group

depression/anxiety diagnosis left too late?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*but i'll seek help, don't take my last sentence as complete apathy to the situation. booked an app-t for tomorrow. lets hope i can get the words out!
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure what you've already done, but I would recommend seeing your GP, and seeing if they can write a letter to the university. You could then submit mitigating circumstances before you sit your exams. I don't know how this works at your university, but I can't imagine it would give you "extra marks" for example, but if you failed, then they could take that into consideration when it comes to awarding a degree/allowing resits etc.

i've spoken to my tutor about the stammer thing, she knows about my fail also.. i had an introductory counselling session today, they said they'll be in touch regarding cbt. but yeah, gp is a must, i now realise
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure what you've already done, but I would recommend seeing your GP, and seeing if they can write a letter to the university. You could then submit mitigating circumstances before you sit your exams. I don't know how this works at your university, but I can't imagine it would give you "extra marks" for example, but if you failed, then they could take that into consideration when it comes to awarding a degree/allowing resits etc.

They dont give extra marks but they do try and take approriate action and bear in mind certain things to be fair to everyone. Seems silly no to tell people you are ill (if you are) and get a fair shot at things. Seems OP has been through a lot and its affecting her, so a bit of consideration wouldnt be bad. It might matter when it comes to grades if shes inbetween.

ps@ jenny not sure about coherent, soemtimes its good to give insight if you have experience and they cant see the big picture. Lot of stress on these forums.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
They dont give extra marks but they do try and take approriate action and bear in mind certain things to be fair to everyone. Seems silly no to tell people you are ill (if you are) and get a fair shot at things. Seems OP has been through a lot and its affecting her, so a bit of consideration wouldnt be bad. It might matter when it comes to grades if shes inbetween.

ps@ jenny not sure about coherent, soemtimes its good to give insight if you have experience and they cant see the big picture. Lot of stress on these forums.

Yes, I agree, hence I was encouraging the OP to see their GP and submit mitigating circumstances.

I may be willing to forgive your mistake due to you speaking the truth..
Reply 25

hi! went to the gp today, he prescribed propranolol for anxiety, though he didn't exactly say "you have anxiety". my voice was all shaky, he was like yeeah I can see you're quite anxious:frown:
Original post by foihi
hi! went to the gp today, he prescribed propranolol for anxiety, though he didn't exactly say "you have anxiety". my voice was all shaky, he was like yeeah I can see you're quite anxious:frown:

Well see how it goes. I think it takes a few weeks to kick in and if that doesnt help then he might try another type. I recall you said you were getting counsling and tbh they would know more about what youve been through so if you talk t your tutor, then they might contribute. He only knows what you tell him so work with him..

Try to eat sleep and relax properly. Exercise like a walk can help as well. See how it goes. Hang in there and do yourself justice.
Reply 27
Well see how it goes. I think it takes a few weeks to kick in and if that doesnt help then he might try another type. I recall you said you were getting counsling and tbh they would know more about what youve been through so if you talk t your tutor, then they might contribute. He only knows what you tell him so work with him..

Try to eat sleep and relax properly. Exercise like a walk can help as well. See how it goes. Hang in there and do yourself justice.

yes, i'm meant to come back after a few weeks for dosage checking and stuff. yes, i got an email about cbt - got an appt for end of april! but they have no earlier ones
You need to learn to look after yourself, so you are in the best condition for when exams come round and beyond. I knowit takes a lot of energy but keep it simple and it will pay off. Does your tutor know what youve been through? If not make him aware you are finding it difficult, but you are doing things to deal with it. You dont have to be a sympathy case, but its good they know.
Original post by foihi
yes, i'm meant to come back after a few weeks for dosage checking and stuff. yes, i got an email about cbt - got an appt for end of april! but they have no earlier ones

where did you get the money from, to pay for your second degree?
Reply 30
Original post by john2054
where did you get the money from, to pay for your second degree?

i mentioned that i worked between my retakes. i worked full time for an entire year, so i saved up. and living at home means i only need to cover tuition fees
Original post by foihi
i mentioned that i worked between my retakes. i worked full time for an entire year, so i saved up. and living at home means i only need to cover tuition fees

So you failed both times huh? What are you going to do now??
Reply 32
You need to learn to look after yourself, so you are in the best condition for when exams come round and beyond. I knowit takes a lot of energy but keep it simple and it will pay off. Does your tutor know what youve been through? If not make him aware you are finding it difficult, but you are doing things to deal with it. You dont have to be a sympathy case, but its good they know.

i told her about my stammer and how i'm worried it will affect my presentation. she offered to practise (ie, make me as uncomfortable as she can and then make me do it) but i know how that's gonna go, so i'm not too keen :biggrin: she knows nothing else. in my counselling session yesterday they focused a great lot on my not getting into my first choice university, which is a grief passed long ago. but i couldn't get anything more out physically, i started crying and sobbing. counselling people don't know about my stammer.
today at the doctor's i focused more on the stammer and shakiness/chest pains.. i gathered that if i start talking about depression i'd just start crying again and it will be time wasted. i didn't get to the depression feelings, because i got all flustered and forgetful and my heart rate went up:s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 33
Original post by john2054
So you failed both times huh? What are you going to do now??

what? I haven't failed anything at my new uni. I'm going to graduate and do fine:colonhash:
Original post by foihi
i told her about my stammer and how i'm worried it will affect my presentation. she offered to practise (ie, make me as uncomfortable as she can and then make me do it) but i know how that's gonna go, so i'm not too keen :biggrin: she knows nothing else. in my counselling session yesterday they focused a great lot on my not getting into my first choice university, which is a grief passed long ago. but i couldn't get anything more out physically, i started crying and sobbing. counselling people don't know about my stammer.
today at the doctor's i focused more on the stammer and shakiness/chest pains.. i gathered that if i start talking about depression i'd just start crying again and it will be time wasted. i didn't get to the depression feelings, because i got all flustered and forgetful and my heart rate went up:s-smilie::s-smilie:

You cnat do everything at once. You know there are plenty of charities for stammering? Presentations used to make me a bit nervous as well. Practice is key then you get that bored of it, it becomes natural. practice also helps with timing as does a good handout. If you dont have anyone to practice with then on your own in front of the mirror. Awkward but you get over it. You have to share with your GP and counselor so they know and take it into account. Anyway you are making progress. Try nad keep well organised so you get your uni work under control plus have time for all these other things.
Some good advice here. It isn't too late to get help - definitely see your GP. As someone else noted two issues here - first, and most important, your health. So see your GP, consider medication, but ask about side effects if you're concerned. You may find they either make you sleepy, or stop you sleeping, for a few weeks - but they might not.

Second - mitigating circumstances. As someone else said - explain your history to your GP, see what they say. Explain that for Uni purposes you could really do with a letter of diagnosis 'to whom it may concern', and that it would be really useful if it said something about your history ie that your depression hasn't just started, its been ongoing. He/she might also add - if you decide on meds - that they'd appreciate teh Uni ttakign account of the fact that whiel you've been prescribed medicaiton, this is 'unlikely to take full effect for some time, and so X's preparation for examinations is likely to be adversely affected.' I would also register wiht studen disability services (if you haven't already) and give them a copy of htat letter as evidence, and then apply for extra time for your exams for a start, and anything else that would help, like 'consideration'.

Apologies for the typos - in a bit of a hurry.

Good luck with everythiing, includign exams, but rememebr that you and your mental health are the most important thing.
foihi, this lack of concentration and spced out feeling, can you describe it a little more because I think I am suffering from it too but keep shrugging off the fact that it may be related to depression as I feel like it is a sign of weekness :frown:
Reply 37
You cnat do everything at once. You know there are plenty of charities for stammering? Presentations used to make me a bit nervous as well. Practice is key then you get that bored of it, it becomes natural. practice also helps with timing as does a good handout. If you dont have anyone to practice with then on your own in front of the mirror. Awkward but you get over it. You have to share with your GP and counselor so they know and take it into account. Anyway you are making progress. Try nad keep well organised so you get your uni work under control plus have time for all these other things.

yeah i know, and i don't know how many times i can prepare myself, i still broke down in the past... i remember foreign language speaking exams at school were horrendous and they recorded you on tape as well:frown: my doc was shocked this wasn't addressed before and that it's too far down the line probably now, i've had it since i was 8-9. but at that age it's usually the parents that take you, and later, my teachers told them about it i'm sure. and nothing was done :frown: anyway... thanks for all your support
A little progress most days and it will add up. keep reviewing whats happening, dont panic and believe you will make a success of it. The issues are just obstacles to overcome and you cna use all the rubbish youve been through to make you even more determined.
Reply 39
Original post by cheshiremum
Some good advice here. It isn't too late to get help - definitely see your GP. As someone else noted two issues here - first, and most important, your health. So see your GP, consider medication, but ask about side effects if you're concerned. You may find they either make you sleepy, or stop you sleeping, for a few weeks - but they might not.

Second - mitigating circumstances. As someone else said - explain your history to your GP, see what they say. Explain that for Uni purposes you could really do with a letter of diagnosis 'to whom it may concern', and that it would be really useful if it said something about your history ie that your depression hasn't just started, its been ongoing. He/she might also add - if you decide on meds - that they'd appreciate teh Uni ttakign account of the fact that whiel you've been prescribed medicaiton, this is 'unlikely to take full effect for some time, and so X's preparation for examinations is likely to be adversely affected.' I would also register wiht studen disability services (if you haven't already) and give them a copy of htat letter as evidence, and then apply for extra time for your exams for a start, and anything else that would help, like 'consideration'.

Apologies for the typos - in a bit of a hurry.

Good luck with everythiing, includign exams, but rememebr that you and your mental health are the most important thing.

hi there! went to the gp today, got prescribed propranolol daily (low dose), and repeat appointment in 2 weeks time. told him about difficulty concentrating - he didnt bring up any depression related questions, attributed it to anxiety. told him about my first failed uni (while nearly crying). didn't have time for the depression stuff, but might mention later. eeh... some side effects of propranodol - tiredness, depression! let's hope that doesn't happen, if it does, i'm seeing him in 2 weeks time and have nothing going on of great significance anyway at the moment. i'm either extremely on edge or apathetic/exhausted as it is. i'm getting CBT from my uni - got an appointment for the end of april, which is the earliest they could get. gp mentioned cbt but i said that's being handled from the uni's side

Quick Reply

Latest