The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Goldsmiths Fine Art BA Interview - help!

Hi,

I have my interview at Goldsmiths on the 22nd March, for the Fine Art BA. It has always been the university I dreamed of, and I know I would flourish there. I get so anxious I'm worried I'll mess up the interview / that my work isn't good enough.

Any tips and advice? How does the interview process usually work?

Scroll to see replies

Also! I'm really worried that my work is too 'feminist' for Goldsmiths, I've been told by current students, graduates and applicants that they see so much of it. Is this the case?
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Reply 2
I had an interview there today for Fine Art & History of Art.

I think they just want you to be passionate about your subject matter, don't try to be something you're not in the interview. They may have seen feminist work before but tell them why it's important to YOU and why you think it's important to still be making this kind of work (gender inequality is still live and kicking so i'm sure you won't have a problem finding something to say).

The current student I spoke to before my interview just said "Don't be nervous, just be really enthusiastic and positive about your work."

If feminism is a subject you feel strongly enough about to base lots of your work on it then surely they will see the passion in you when you talk about it. Make sure to brush up on your knowledge of artists who influence you & speak about them.

Also at the start of my interview they asked me to pick out 2 or 3 pieces from my portfolio to speak about and we went from there, so it might be worth picking your most successful bits out and thinking of a few things to say about them.

Good luck :smile: x
Reply 3
Also my interview was 3 people, 2 tutors - one from Fine Art and one from Visual Cultures (History of Art) - and a current student. You may only have 2 though as Fine art is single honours.
Original post by sk1906
I had an interview there today for Fine Art & History of Art.

I think they just want you to be passionate about your subject matter, don't try to be something you're not in the interview. They may have seen feminist work before but tell them why it's important to YOU and why you think it's important to still be making this kind of work (gender inequality is still live and kicking so i'm sure you won't have a problem finding something to say).

The current student I spoke to before my interview just said "Don't be nervous, just be really enthusiastic and positive about your work."

If feminism is a subject you feel strongly enough about to base lots of your work on it then surely they will see the passion in you when you talk about it. Make sure to brush up on your knowledge of artists who influence you & speak about them.

Also at the start of my interview they asked me to pick out 2 or 3 pieces from my portfolio to speak about and we went from there, so it might be worth picking your most successful bits out and thinking of a few things to say about them.

Good luck :smile: x

Thank you so much! That's really helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sk1906
Also my interview was 3 people, 2 tutors - one from Fine Art and one from Visual Cultures (History of Art) - and a current student. You may only have 2 though as Fine art is single honours.

Hiya! I also had an interview today for the joint course, but forgot to ask how long it would be before we heard back? Do you know how long it will be! Kicking myself for not asking! Hope it went well for you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Kt.96
Hiya! I also had an interview today for the joint course, but forgot to ask how long it would be before we heard back? Do you know how long it will be! Kicking myself for not asking! Hope it went well for you :smile:

Hey!

From what i've heard it's about 3 weeks. They decide over easter.

Thank you! I think it was alright but they're notorious for not giving anything away in interviews so i don't really know.

How did yours go?
Reply 7
Original post by sk1906
Hey!

From what i've heard it's about 3 weeks. They decide over easter.

Thank you! I think it was alright but they're notorious for not giving anything away in interviews so i don't really know.

How did yours go?

3 weeks is ages! It went okay but totally agree with you that they give nothing away! I enjoyed it though but they did ask some very in depth and challenging questions! I just don't know! Fingers crossed for both of us! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kt.96
3 weeks is ages! It went okay but totally agree with you that they give nothing away! I enjoyed it though but they did ask some very in depth and challenging questions! I just don't know! Fingers crossed for both of us! :smile:

Yeah we have done all we can will just have to wait now! Thanks you too x
Original post by Kt.96

What questions do they ask you? I need to do all the prep possible haha
Reply 10
Original post by Hannahprizeman
What questions do they ask you? I need to do all the prep possible haha

They asked me to pick 3 or 4 pieces of work to speak to them about in depth as you don't really get a lot of time - i preferred this as i could speak about my most successful pieces and the reasonings behind them rather than blabbering on about stuff i made in my first week of foundation!

They asked if i attend exhibitions (if you can go to one between now and your interview i recommend it) and i was talking about one i went to at the Whitechapel last weekend and some artists i had found there who i liked.

They asked me what i've been reading with regards to art theory (think this is more to do with the History of Art part of my course tho) and i mentioned that i have a subscription to Art Monthly. I think they liked that although they didnt ask me any questions about it (which is good because i literally cant remember anything from the last one i read!)

I think they want you to show your enthusiasm and that you are actively interedted in art outside of your current course (if you're doing one).

Most of the questions were directly stemming from the work I showed so I tried to make my responses as personal as possible and show them how much it matters to me and why studying there would help me expand my practice.

They ask everyone 'why Goldsmiths' and i was speaking about how Fine Art and Art History is only taught in a handful of unis and Goldsmiths has such great facilities and links with the industry that there is so much potential studying there than anywhere else.

I hope this is helpful !
Reply 11
Original post by sk1906
They asked me to pick 3 or 4 pieces of work to speak to them about in depth as you don't really get a lot of time - i preferred this as i could speak about my most successful pieces and the reasonings behind them rather than blabbering on about stuff i made in my first week of foundation!

They asked if i attend exhibitions (if you can go to one between now and your interview i recommend it) and i was talking about one i went to at the Whitechapel last weekend and some artists i had found there who i liked.

They asked me what i've been reading with regards to art theory (think this is more to do with the History of Art part of my course tho) and i mentioned that i have a subscription to Art Monthly. I think they liked that although they didnt ask me any questions about it (which is good because i literally cant remember anything from the last one i read!)

I think they want you to show your enthusiasm and that you are actively interedted in art outside of your current course (if you're doing one).

Most of the questions were directly stemming from the work I showed so I tried to make my responses as personal as possible and show them how much it matters to me and why studying there would help me expand my practice.

They ask everyone 'why Goldsmiths' and i was speaking about how Fine Art and Art History is only taught in a handful of unis and Goldsmiths has such great facilities and links with the industry that there is so much potential studying there than anywhere else.

I hope this is helpful !

They didn't ask me 'why goldsmiths' which has really freaked me out, and I had prepared a monologue, haha :s-smilie: One thing I would say is you can read a lot of stuff on here that makes out the interviewers are going to be like dragons! But they aren't they are really nice people who welcome you and are polite and who are genuinely interested in getting to know you as much as possible, hence the in depth questions. Also I find having a student in the interview really helps, they have been in your position! Just go through your portfolio and make sure you know your work in and out, as there is no telling what they might ask!
Reply 12
How did you find it? I had mine yesterday too!
Original post by ahet
How did you find it? I had mine yesterday too!

Totally fine! They were really lovely, and the interview just felt like an organic conversation which was nice. They asked me a couple of questions which, looking back on, I may have blabbered a bit and not been very concise. But I feel it was generally okay :smile: How are yours? Who interviewed you?
Reply 14
More or less the same, I was surprise at how comfortable it was. I definitely feel like I may have blabbered a bit too, it's definitely the nerves! I couldn't say it went badly so I reckon mine was okay also although I can never tell really. The student there was really helpful as well and I was interviewed by Gail and Janice :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Hannahprizeman
Also! I'm really worried that my work is too 'feminist' for Goldsmiths, I've been told by current students, graduates and applicants that they see so much of it. Is this the case?

LoL you think you're feminist wait 'til you get to Goldsmiths.
Reply 16
Has anyone looked round Goldsmiths recently ? I had my interview yesterday, however unlike my other interviews, they wouldn't let me look round after. Last time I viewed Goldsmiths was last year and I was quite looking forward to having a re cap. Also, Is the course quite academic compared to others? I know they have at least one essay a month and base 25% of your final grade on the written side. Is that the same with UAL art courses? and finally.... Has anyone looked around Goldsmiths accommodation? Been looking online but the pictures are not exactly selling it... ha ha
Original post by gjs2
Has anyone looked round Goldsmiths recently ? I had my interview yesterday, however unlike my other interviews, they wouldn't let me look round after. Last time I viewed Goldsmiths was last year and I was quite looking forward to having a re cap. Also, Is the course quite academic compared to others? I know they have at least one essay a month and base 25% of your final grade on the written side. Is that the same with UAL art courses? and finally.... Has anyone looked around Goldsmiths accommodation? Been looking online but the pictures are not exactly selling it... ha ha

Single honours fine art BA doesnt... did you apply for fine art and history of art?
Single honours Fine Art only has 2 essays a year (for the first two years, one if first term and one in second term, and then a dissertation in third year. Also, you do the essays over the holidays (christmas and easter) so it doesn't really eat into art making time. There's also on one lecture and seminar a week. Any less that 25% theory and it would count as a BA.
Joint honours has two lectures/seminars a week and I think twice the amount of essays (but I'm not sure), and you have the option to either do two essay modules in 3rd year, or one module and a dissertation. Hope that helps!
Reply 19
Original post by ahet
More or less the same, I was surprise at how comfortable it was. I definitely feel like I may have blabbered a bit too, it's definitely the nerves! I couldn't say it went badly so I reckon mine was okay also although I can never tell really. The student there was really helpful as well and I was interviewed by Gail and Janice :smile:

I had Gail and Janice too! Just searched their profiles on the staff at goldsmiths page - and Janice (Kerbel) was one of the nominees for the turner prize this year :O and Gail (Pickering), a likewise established artist. Really cool ! Ahah
Yeah I found them really engaging too- Gail asked the most questions- quite a lot in fact- and really made me question everything about the work, but I think I answered fluently despite being quite nervous. So I'm happy bc I feel I did the best I could.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending