The Student Room Group

depression/anxiety diagnosis left too late?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Philip-flop
foihi, this lack of concentration and spced out feeling, can you describe it a little more because I think I am suffering from it too but keep shrugging off the fact that it may be related to depression as I feel like it is a sign of weekness :frown:

ok, so in the past (5ish years ago) it was pretty much continuous. i had very many negative things happening in a short space of time, honestly, i was hysterical for 4-5 months in the privacy of my bedroom. i guess that exhausted my nervous system, after which i went into the apathetic state - it was like i wasn't me, i didn't care for the person that was "me", what happened to them, what their future was. i honestly believed i didn't have a future. kind of like watching a film... or like the "ME" (the real me that is like my conscious me) pressed the pause button, but the "real life" me (the one that was taking exams and going to uni) was still carrying on with life. kind of like dissociation, if i'm making sense. like i don't like what's happening in my life, where i'm at, i hoped i'd be elsewhere etc.. so i'm rejecting the reality. it worsened when i didn't have a routine (so during revision time). i realise now i don't remember actually much of that time! i'm honest. this went on for 2-3 years? gradually i got out of it, but too much damage was done grades-wise. then i went to a different uni with a different (much better IMO atmosphere and lecturers), and they pulled me back together. I love my subject again now, I discovered what I want to do in life, whereas before I couldn't care less for it. but that's my "university" me, motivated and happy, at home i feel pretty low about myself, how i'm behind in life. but that's a different topic.
Reply 41
Original post by Philip-flop
foihi, this lack of concentration and spced out feeling, can you describe it a little more because I think I am suffering from it too but keep shrugging off the fact that it may be related to depression as I feel like it is a sign of weekness :frown:

by the way, i don't drink, never did drugs. in the past few months i realised that music actually triggers me.. not any music, but the music i like. i guess it's like being "under" something but without external substances
Original post by foihi
by the way, i don't drink, never did drugs. in the past few months i realised that music actually triggers me.. not any music, but the music i like. i guess it's like being "under" something but without external substances

okay good luck with that then.

It is more difficult reading a degree with a mental illness, but it can be done.

I am living proof of that!

xx
Original post by foihi
looking back, i've been feeling "off" for 5-6 years, it started at school when i didn't get into first choice uni although i feel more "present" now. i've also suffered from a nervous stammer since childhood, which was never it for so long, why am i only getting checked out now? truth is - i didn't think i had a problem, my mother witnessed my distress and did nothing 5 years ago or later. now i'm just sick of feeling this way, it's affecting my decision making

if you need someone to talk to, give me a message, more than up to skype, or anything you need.

:hugs:
Reply 44
Original post by john2054
okay good luck with that then.

It is more difficult reading a degree with a mental illness, but it can be done.

I am living proof of that!

xx

thank you
not long to go now :smile:
Original post by foihi
thank you

yes. my thoughts exactly :smile:
Original post by foihi
hi there! went to the gp today, got prescribed propranolol daily (low dose), and repeat appointment in 2 weeks time. told him about difficulty concentrating - he didnt bring up any depression related questions, attributed it to anxiety. told him about my first failed uni (while nearly crying). didn't have time for the depression stuff, but might mention later. eeh... some side effects of propranodol - tiredness, depression! let's hope that doesn't happen, if it does, i'm seeing him in 2 weeks time and have nothing going on of great significance anyway at the moment. i'm either extremely on edge or apathetic/exhausted as it is. i'm getting CBT from my uni - got an appointment for the end of april, which is the earliest they could get. gp mentioned cbt but i said that's being handled from the uni's side

Anxiety can make it difficult to take that first step, so well done! He might be right, anxiety might be your main problem - it can lead to depression. Sometimes it's easier to be depressed than to face your anxiety - CBT will teach you about that I think - overcoming anxiety means actually doing things that make you a bit anxious. But stick with it - you should learn more helpful ways of thinking. Do consider getting a letter from your GP about it at some point though - it can help to have 'evidence' so you can get extra time in exams, consideration etc. One thing at a time though - don't try to take giant steps, be kind to yourself.
Original post by foihi
thank you

you are entitled to extra time on your work now you know? x

and extra student support (proof reading etc)
Reply 48
you are entitled to extra time on your work now you know? x

and extra student support (proof reading etc)

i don't know, but once i tell my personal tutor, i'll find out. i do a science subject so don't need much proof reading, and anyway do much much better on the courseworks. it's the exams where i break down
Reply 49
Original post by cheshiremum
Anxiety can make it difficult to take that first step, so well done! He might be right, anxiety might be your main problem - it can lead to depression. Sometimes it's easier to be depressed than to face your anxiety - CBT will teach you about that I think - overcoming anxiety means actually doing things that make you a bit anxious. But stick with it - you should learn more helpful ways of thinking. Do consider getting a letter from your GP about it at some point though - it can help to have 'evidence' so you can get extra time in exams, consideration etc. One thing at a time though - don't try to take giant steps, be kind to yourself.

thank you. forgot to mention - doctor said my stammer/anxiety is pretty much chronic just by the sheer amount of time i've suffered from it (stammering since i was 8)
have i been actually diagnosed? he didn't put the words "diagnosis" and "anxiety" in the same sentence... it makes me confused. on my prescription it says "medication name", dose, *anxiety.
is that a diagnosis? can a GP make such a diagnosis based on one conversation technically or via referral to a psychiatrist?
Original post by foihi
thank you. forgot to mention - doctor said my stammer/anxiety is pretty much chronic just by the sheer amount of time i've suffered from it (stammering since i was 8)
have i been actually diagnosed? he didn't put the words "diagnosis" and "anxiety" in the same sentence... it makes me confused. on my prescription it says "medication name", dose, *anxiety.
is that a diagnosis? can a GP make such a diagnosis based on one conversation technically or via referral to a psychiatrist?

I don't know for certain - but I think they can, and I bet he's put 'anxiety' on your notes. Certainly worth asking (if you don't ask, you don't get - you can ask him in a nice way..'is there any way you'd be able to...' 'I know this might not be possible, but I'm really worried about my exams...would it be possible for you to...') - he's a clinician, and Uni's generally accept medical evidence from clinicians. Don't let the word 'chronic' make you think you can't improve re your stammer - I bet you can, but one thing at a time, baby steps.
Reply 51
Original post by cheshiremum
I don't know for certain - but I think they can, and I bet he's put 'anxiety' on your notes. Certainly worth asking (if you don't ask, you don't get - you can ask him in a nice way..'is there any way you'd be able to...' 'I know this might not be possible, but I'm really worried about my exams...would it be possible for you to...':wink: - he's a clinician, and Uni's generally accept medical evidence from clinicians. Don't let the word 'chronic' make you think you can't improve re your stammer - I bet you can, but one thing at a time, baby steps.

i asked about the uni letter, he said he can write it for a charge. also said showing them my prescription is just as good
my stammer has changed its nature... i've improved in the past 5-6 years in the sense that i'm braver in talking to people over the phone and asking for things... actually my depressive period helped with that. but now when i'm nervous, i don't just end up tripping up on certain letters, i start breaking down completely and my voice goes all shaky and i start shaking and being teary. and can't carry on/just stop talking
Original post by foihi
i asked about the uni letter, he said he can write it for a charge. also said showing them my prescription is just as good
my stammer has changed its nature... i've improved in the past 5-6 years in the sense that i'm braver in talking to people over the phone and asking for things... actually my depressive period helped with that. but now when i'm nervous, i don't just end up tripping up on certain letters, i start breaking down completely and my voice goes all shaky and i start shaking and being teary. and can't carry on/just stop talking

I'm not a clinician but that does sound like anxiety. I know people with no stammer who just can't speak when they get very anxious - who feel sort of paralysed. I hope the CBT helps - there is evidence to suggest that it can be very helpful.

And fair enough to try for extra time and consideration without having to pay for a letter! I guess it should help that you've seen a counsellor at Uni.
Original post by foihi
i don't know, but once i tell my personal tutor, i'll find out. i do a science subject so don't need much proof reading, and anyway do much much better on the courseworks. it's the exams where i break down

yes you should also get an extra 10/15% exam time. I don't know if that will help? You need to get it written in to your support plan, and agreed with the module leader before hand once this is done, to make sure that it is implemented okay? x
Reply 54
yes you should also get an extra 10/15% exam time. I don't know if that will help? You need to get it written in to your support plan, and agreed with the module leader before hand once this is done, to make sure that it is implemented okay? x

thank you, i'll look into it... i think the meds will help more if they do help, really, because if i'm freaking out during an exam it last for hours after the end
Original post by foihi
thank you, i'll look into it... i think the meds will help more if they do help, really, because if i'm freaking out during an exam it last for hours after the end

i also get stressed in exams. Thankfully i haven't had an this year.
I htink you should ask for 25% extra time. Most people I know who get extra time get 25%. If you suffer from anxiety, you need time to calm down, collect your thoughts, then do the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest