The Student Room Group

Gcse - A*/ A revision tips ?!

Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so much for your advice :smile:
This has actually motivated me :smile:
When you say past papers do you mean doing them under exam conditions or with text books and etc..
Flashcards are so helpful for GCSE and MINDMAPS!
Great I will try this x
Thank you and are you currently doing your gcse's :smile:
> Past papers under exam conditions are a good start, even if you know there are gaps in your knowledge it will show you more clearly where those gaps are. Then you can focus your revision more in addition to learning what is typically on papers.

> I find writing out Concentrated, Short and Useful notes to be good for retaining the information to write down but also a useful resource to glance at if you forget it again. Don't write down everything in the text book, just key stuff and things you don't know well.

>Don't just memorise the facts/formulae. Understand them so if (more likely, when) they put in an unusual question you can use your understanding to deal with it, rather than having no idea because you don't actually understand the subject, you have just memorised the facts.

>Realise that GCSE are not the only way people will assess you. A levels are typically a better measure of someones skills which is why they carry more weight. Not that GCSEs are not important,but a lot of people think if they mess them up it will be the end of their lives...

Ultimately, its good revision and commitment of time that gets the good grades. It will be worth it on results day. But remember, when you open your results don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get what you expect, a lot of people don't.
I like reading a chapter of my revision guide then doing all the end of chapter questions without peeking at the pages then I read back what I haven't learnt!
Also I do past papers with my books as you need to LEARN not TEST YOUSELF so this early just testing and not learning won't help your grade!
Original post by Barney6262
> Past papers under exam conditions are a good start, even if you know there are gaps in your knowledge it will show you more clearly where those gaps are. Then you can focus your revision more in addition to learning what is typically on papers.

> I find writing out Concentrated, Short and Useful notes to be good for retaining the information to write down but also a useful resource to glance at if you forget it again. Don't write down everything in the text book, just key stuff and things you don't know well.

>Don't just memorise the facts/formulae. Understand them so if (more likely, when) they put in an unusual question you can use your understanding to deal with it, rather than having no idea because you don't actually understand the subject, you have just memorised the facts.

>Realise that GCSE are not the only way people will assess you. A levels are typically a better measure of someones skills which is why they carry more weight. Not that GCSEs are not important,but a lot of people think if they mess them up it will be the end of their lives...

Ultimately, its good revision and commitment of time that gets the good grades. It will be worth it on results day. But remember, when you open your results don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get what you expect, a lot of people don't.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I just don't get motivated and that really angers me :smile:
Oh right, Thank you and you too :smile:
Original post by eviebrizzle
I like reading a chapter of my revision guide then doing all the end of chapter questions without peeking at the pages then I read back what I haven't learnt!
Also I do past papers with my books as you need to LEARN not TEST YOUSELF so this early just testing and not learning won't help your grade!

Oh ok :smile: Thanks for your advice :smile: :biggrin:
Original post by nisha.sri
Thanks for the advice :smile: I just don't get motivated and that really angers me :smile:

I also struggle with motivation. Often say I want to do 2 past papers today and end up not doing anything.

Hardest bit is starting. Once I start doing the paper with nothing to distract I find I don't get bored. It's when I start and have something to distract nearby, I get bored and just do something else.
Reply 10
Original post by ellie0497
Flashcards are so helpful for GCSE and MINDMAPS!

When you do mind maps should they be things all from memory or should you have a book open at the same time and be copying? Or is it both? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Barney6262
I also struggle with motivation. Often say I want to do 2 past papers today and end up not doing anything.

Hardest bit is starting. Once I start doing the paper with nothing to distract I find I don't get bored. It's when I start and have something to distract nearby, I get bored and just do something else.

Same :smile: I mean sometimes i will be motivated other time i'm just like meh
Original post by nisha.sri
Oh ok :smile: Thanks for your advice :smile: :biggrin:

thats alright! doing my GCSE's this year hope you do well
thats alright! doing my GCSE's this year hope you do well

How is your revision and how long do you revise for?!
Good luck and thank you :smile:
Original post by zarrii
When you do mind maps should they be things all from memory or should you have a book open at the same time and be copying? Or is it both? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the information on the book then summarise it using your own words without looking at the book then you won't be copying information from the book. Use different colours too do differentiate different information etc.
Reply 15
Original post by ellie0497
Read the information on the book then summarise it using your own words without looking at the book then you won't be copying information from the book. Use different colours too do differentiate different information etc.

Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

i understand but isn't it better to identify your weaknesses to revise, rather than just think you know the material by doing past papers with books instead. i mean you might think you understand it even if you don't
Original post by Username3097486
i understand but isn't it better to identify your weaknesses to revise, rather than just think you know the material by doing past papers with books instead. i mean you might think you understand it even if you don't

yeah I see yur point so I do a mix of both!

Quick Reply

Latest