The Student Room Group

Family pressuring me to get a girlfriend

So I'm 22 and I've been single for over 2 years because my last relationship ended so badly I made a choice to not enter a relationship again until I felt it was right. Anyway I have been on dates and nothing has ever come of it but now my family is pressuring me to have a girlfriend and I don't like it. I work fulltime, I go to university at night and I exercise and go out most weekends so I am very busy.

I just don't like this pressure my family is putting on me and asking if I'm gay (I'm not) and it's all getting too much and getting me down. What should I do?
Do you want one? If not, its your decision therefore you shouldn't get into a relationship if you don't want to.
Reply 2
tell them how u feell!! I'm sure that they will understand-and anyway you're only 22, you should be having fun :smile:
Reply 3
@SA-1 dis u brah ? :rofl:
You could tell them what you've told us - that your last relationship ended badly and you don't want to enter a new one until it feels right. I would hope that they'd understand.
Reply 5
Tell them that you will get into a relationship when you are ready.
Reply 6
Original post by swirly
@SA-1 dis u brah ? :rofl:

:rofl:
Reply 7
Original post by hsm998
tell them how u feell!! I'm sure that they will understand-and anyway you're only 22, you should be having fun :smile:

I have told them how I feel but they just don't seem to understand.
Reply 8
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You could tell them what you've told us - that your last relationship ended badly and you don't want to enter a new one until it feels right. I would hope that they'd understand.

They know my last relationship ended badly but they don't understand that I only want a new relationship when it feels right.
I don't really understand why they would care a both your relationship status or sexuality as long as you were happy, tell them you'll get a girlfriend when you want one and no sooner
Original post by Blondie987
I don't really understand why they would care a both your relationship status or sexuality as long as you were happy, tell them you'll get a girlfriend when you want one and no sooner

I don't understand it either, currently am I very happy I've got a good well paid job, I have my independence and I like going out with my mates so I don't understand why they are pressuring me.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't understand it either, currently am I very happy I've got a good well paid job, I have my independence and I like going out with my mates so I don't understand why they are pressuring me.

Well then, just thank them for their concern and tell them you're happy and, if they care about you, they should feel the same
Original post by Blondie987
Well then, just thank them for their concern and tell them you're happy and, if they care about you, they should feel the same

Thanks I'll give that a try.
Start doing it back to them, "hey mum, you got a girlfriend yet? No? Terrible shame, I'll be sure to ask again tomorrow, maybe make some snidey remarks about your girlfriend-free status, ask if you;re gay, etc".

Maybe ask them why they're so obsessed with you having one? Hear them out then state your position, try and put their concerns to ease if you can, but state right now this is your life and you're happy.

Are all your mum's friend's kids getting girlfriends and boyfriends? running off and getting married, etc?
Maybe she's feeling some peer pressure because her friends are constantly talking about their kid's relationships or something.

Maybe your dad wants grandkids?

I dunno.

Best of luck anyway.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Start doing it back to them, "hey mum, you got a girlfriend yet? No? Terrible shame, I'll be sure to ask again tomorrow, maybe make some snidey remarks about your girlfriend-free status, ask if you;re gay, etc".

Maybe ask them why they're so obsessed with you having one? Hear them out then state your position, try and put their concerns to ease if you can, but state right now this is your life and you're happy.

Are all your mum's friend's kids getting girlfriends and boyfriends? running off and getting married, etc?
Maybe she's feeling some peer pressure because her friends are constantly talking about their kid's relationships or something.

Maybe your dad wants grandkids?

I dunno.

Best of luck anyway.

Wow thanks that's great advice. Most of my mums friends kids are at least 5 years older than me and a lot of them have kids and their own or are getting married so maybe she is feeling peer pressure but I don't understand why when I am years younger than them.

Also my older sister is 5 years older than me and she got married 2 years and has said she has no intention of having kids anytime soon so maybe that's playing on my mum and dads mind.
I'm 23 and my mum is talking about when I'm going to get a girlfriend and have children.

I'm like... maybe never? Apparently that's not an option.

I'm bi so I'm going on a date with a guy soon, that will show her how keen I am to have children :colone:
Is it cultural

Btw you know what you want ignore them. they should be respecting your wishes. Your life, dont let other people live it.
Reply 17
Just don't mind them. All they want is for you to be happy. Maybe they are just thinking that you are lonely and having a girlfriend is the solution. They are your parents. They are only doing what they think is best for you. i know it is annoying but its their form of showing their love.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
I have told them how I feel but they just don't seem to understand.

i think just do your thing-at the end of the day, its your life and if they won't accept how you feel you just gotta accept it and do what makes u fell happy and good.
Continue with your usual routine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending