The Student Room Group

shrinking a pair of jeans

is there any way I can make these pair of jeans smaller without washing them on their own at like 60 degrees.

if I wash them with normal black clothes at 60 degrees won't it ruin the colour or something?
and will washing/drying at high temp even work?

HOW CAN I SHRINK A PAIR OF JEANS PLEASE ASAP. especially at the waist they are a bit too big and it looks weird cause they're supposed to be fitted.
Reply 1
btw I said won't it run the colour cause they're black jeans I don't want it to become too faded.
Original post by Anonymous
is there any way I can make these pair of jeans smaller without washing them on their own at like 60 degrees.

if I wash them with normal black clothes at 60 degrees won't it ruin the colour or something?
and will washing/drying at high temp even work?

HOW CAN I SHRINK A PAIR OF JEANS PLEASE ASAP. especially at the waist they are a bit too big and it looks weird cause they're supposed to be fitted.

Apparently wearing them in a hot bath can help
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Apparently wearing them in a hot bath can help

okay, by help how much do you think it will decrease?

do you think wearing them in the shower will have the same effect?
okay, by help how much do you think it will decrease?

do you think wearing them in the shower will have the same effect?

Only a small amount. No as you need a decent soak in them really.
Reply 5
Only a small amount. No as you need a decent soak in them really.

what about if I leave them in a sink full of really hot water? and for how many hours do you think (obviously I will keep replacing the water)?

do you think I should boil water in the kettle and do it that way? or is the hottest from the tap enough?
what about if I leave them in a sink full of really hot water? and for how many hours do you think (obviously I will keep replacing the water)?

do you think I should boil water in the kettle and do it that way? or is the hottest from the tap enough?

Half an hour in boiling water on its own rather than the bath should apparently be enough
Hot water is better for shrinking denim, but unless the fabric wasn't properly pre-shrunk, they won't shrink a huge lot. Hot water also leads to more fading than cold, agitation (in a washing machine) makes fading worse, as does using a standard detergent. If you wash them in a machine, turn them inside out, and use a wash detergent specifically for dark clothes, to help avoid fading. It's worth trying the sitting in a hot bath trick first though, if you have time, as they're less likely to fade that way.

And if you have a tumble dryer, tumble dry inside out on high heat to get a bit more shrinkage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Half an hour in boiling water on its own rather than the bath should apparently be enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnQCrx3KEhY

okay there are mixed comments on this video

do you think I can leave them to dry on the radiator first and them tumble dry or will it not have the same effect so I will have to tumble dry twice cause they will be soaking wet?
Reply 9
Original post by cheshiremum
Hot water is better for shrinking denim, but unless the fabric wasn't properly pre-shrunk, they won't shrink a huge lot. Hot water also leads to more fading than cold, agitation (in a washing machine) makes fading worse, as does using a standard detergent. If you wash them in a machine, turn them inside out, and use a wash detergent specifically for dark clothes, to help avoid fading. It's worth trying the sitting in a hot bath trick first though, if you have time, as they're less likely to fade that way.

thank you I will put them inside out in boiling water

do you think I can leave them to dry on the radiator first and them tumble dry or will it not have the same effect so I will have to tumble dry twice cause they will be soaking wet?

I don't think a radiator will have the same effect.

Put them in a bowl or the sink to cool down enough to touch, then squeeze/ wring out as much water as you can, then I'd just put them in the tumble dryer on hot.
Put them in a bowl or the sink to cool down enough to touch, then squeeze/ wring out as much water as you can, then I'd just put them in the tumble dryer on hot.

Thank you so much!!
do u think pouring a bit Of cold water on them to speed up cool down so I can wring them out earlier will oppose the effects? So is it essential to let it cool naturally before tumble drying?

Sorry about all the in depth questions and thank you for answering :smile:
Thank you so much!!
do u think pouring a bit Of cold water on them to speed up cool down so I can wring them out earlier will oppose the effects? So is it essential to let it cool naturally before tumble drying?

Sorry about all the in depth questions and thank you for answering :smile:

Actually I tend to think (but haven't done the research to know) that boiling water followed by a bit of cold might help the shrinking. If it were me, I wouldn't have the patience for natural cooling, I'd pour some cold water on them.
Actually I tend to think (but haven't done the research to know) that boiling water followed by a bit of cold might help the shrinking. If it were me, I wouldn't have the patience for natural cooling, I'd pour some cold water on them.

okay they've been in hot water for like an hour like in the sink, originally it was boiling water

do you think I should take them out now or is it beneficial to keep it for longer?
okay they've been in hot water for like an hour like in the sink, originally it was boiling water

do you think I should take them out now or is it beneficial to keep it for longer?

Oops sorry I was out! So no point answering now....hope they've shrunk enough for you!
Oops sorry I was out! So no point answering now....hope they've shrunk enough for you!

it's okay
and thank you so much, they shrunk perfectly :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending