The Student Room Group

STEP Tricks and Hacks Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Not a STEP-er but I'm joining this thread to pick up on useful techniques. :biggrin: Here's an easy one that might be helpful:

Factorising x4+1x^{4} + 1 and polynomials of the like -

It's fairly easy to write out x4+1(x2+αx+1)(x2+βx+1)\displaystyle x^{4} + 1 \equiv \left ( x^{2} + \alpha x +1 \right )\left( x^{2}+\beta x +1 \right ) and then compare coefficients using C3 techniques, but in case you're feeling adventurous,

This could come in handy in certain integrals. Try the classic tanx dx\displaystyle \int \sqrt{\tan x} \ \mathrm{d}x using this. :h:

I gave a fair amount of effort to do this, so please hope it's correct!!!
P.s sorry for my messy writing, I've been ill for the past few days so don't have the steadiest hand ever :smile:
(also final answer is at the top)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 81
There is a very clever way of doing this, but I do not quite remember it.
Reply 82
Original post by EnglishMuon

The answer looks correct at a first glance. If you're interested in a slightly neater way of doing this, check here.
Original post by DylanJ42
this post is more useful i think, and im surprised it hasnt been posted about yet; (maybe everyone knows it already)

(an+bn)=(ab)(an1an2b+an3b2an4b3+...abn2+bn1) \displaystyle \left(a^n + b^n \right) = \left(a-b\right)\left(a^{n-1} - a^{n-2}b + a^{n-3}b^2 - a^{n-4}b^3 + ... - ab^{n-2} + b^{n-1}\right)

^^ this is only valid when n is even. Notice how you alternate signs the whole way down the right hand side bracket, starting and ending with plus signs

(anbn)=(ab)(an1+an2b+an3b2+...+abn2+bn1) \displaystyle \left(a^n - b^n\right) = \left(a-b\right)\left(a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}b + a^{n-3}b^2 + ... + ab^{n-2} + b^{n-1}\right)

valid for all integer n, and notice how the right hand bracket is all plus signs

very useful factorisation, but one of your signs is wrong on the first one, and it works for odd n, not even
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
very useful factorisation, but one of your signs is wrong on the first one, and it works for odd n, not even

i see another mistake too, thank you for pointing that out :facepalm:
Original post by Zacken
The answer looks correct at a first glance. If you're interested in a slightly neater way of doing this, check here.

lol thanks! I was on the verge of anal leakage until you said you didn't come up with the technique yourself but nevertheless a great solution! :wink:
Reply 86
P.s sorry for my messy writing, I've been ill for the past few days so don't have the steadiest hand ever :smile:
(also final answer is at the top)

The answer is spot on with this method. But please do check out the elegant solution Zacken posted!
The answer is spot on with this method. But please do check out the elegant solution Zacken posted!

Thanks! (phew thats a relief!) Yeah Ive thought about this (I+J)+(I-J) method before but forgot to consider it here. Makes sense though but Im not sure how long it wouldve taken me to choose cotx \sqrt{cotx} for J, just something I would have to look ahead for I suppose. Thanks for the help :smile:
Is it worth mentioning T substitutions?
Reply 89
Original post by mpaterson
Is it worth mentioning T substitutions?

As in the tangent sub? I think it's already been mentioned.
As in the tangent sub? I think it's already been mentioned.

hmm I was thinking:
[br]t=tanθ2[br][br]cosθ=1t21+t2[br][br]sinθ=2t1+t2[br][br]dθdt=21+t2[br][br][br]\displaystyle t = \tan \frac{ \theta }{2}[br][br]\displaystyle \cos \theta = \frac{ 1 - t^2 }{ 1 + t^2}[br][br]\displaystyle \sin \theta = \frac{ 2t }{ 1 + t^2}[br][br]\displaystyle \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{2}{1 + t^2}[br][br]
couldn't see that anywhere earlier

p.s. anyone know how to space lines in latex?
Reply 91
hmm I was thinking:
[br]t=tanθ2[br][br]cosθ=1t21+t2[br][br]sinθ=2t1+t2[br][br]dθdt=21+t2[br][br][br]\displaystyle t = \tan \frac{ \theta }{2}[br][br]\displaystyle \cos \theta = \frac{ 1 - t^2 }{ 1 + t^2}[br][br]\displaystyle \sin \theta = \frac{ 2t }{ 1 + t^2}[br][br]\displaystyle \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{2}{1 + t^2}[br][br]

A link had been posted by shamika, but you can definitely expand on it.

I just do

next line

EDIT: it's under number 8 along with a wiki link.
(edited 8 years ago)
A link had been posted by shamika, but you can definitely expand on it.

I just do

next line

EDIT: it's under number 8 along with a wiki link.

Ahh I see, it's obvious now.

Thanks!
hmm I was thinking:

You should Use these largely when there trig in the denominator I think and denominator and numerator. But alot of the times you will instructed or hinted at through a first part!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Roots of unity

If
[br]ω[br][br]\omega[br]
is the nth root of unity,

we can write

[br](ω)n1=0[br](ω1)(ωn1+ωn2...+1)=0[br][br](\omega)^{n} - 1 = 0[br](\omega - 1)(\omega^{n-1} + \omega^{n-2} ... + 1) = 0[br]

Since (normally) the first bracket isn't zero, you have the somewhat useful result that the latter is zero. The geometrical implication of this (by considering an n-sided polygon in the Argand diagram, centred at the origin) is that the sum of the vectors from the centre of a polygon to its individual vertices is zero.

See III/97/3, I/90/2.

You can also use backslashes, as follows to leave a blank line.
So:
[noparse]
Unparseable latex formula:

a \\[br]b

[/noparse]
becomes:
Unparseable latex formula:

a \\[br]b

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Krollo
Roots of unity

If
[br]ω[br][br]\omega[br]
is the nth root of unity,

we can write

[br](ω)n1=0[br](ω1)(ωn1+ωn2...+1)=0[br][br](\omega)^{n} - 1 = 0[br](\omega - 1)(\omega^{n-1} + \omega^{n-2} ... + 1) = 0[br]

Since (normally) the first bracket isn't zero, you have the somewhat useful result that the latter is zero. The geometrical implication of this (by considering an n-sided polygon in the Argand diagram, centred at the origin) is that the sum of the vectors from the centre of a polygon to its individual vertices is zero.

See III/97/3, I/90/2.

In addition to this, it's useful to know that if zz is a root, then so is zˉ\bar{z} and that, for any root zz

1z=zˉ\displaystyle \frac{1}{z}=\bar{z}
Original post by Student403
:toofunny:

But anyway how you been my friend?
on the verge of anal leakage

wtf man
Reply 99
Original post by M14B
There is a very clever way of doing this, but I do not quite remember it.

There is but you kind of have to know what you're looking for or seen it before or something. I think it would be difficult to see if you'd never seen it done before or seen something similar.

Quick Reply

Latest