The Student Room Group

Is it worth having an ensuite room in halls?

Applying for halls of residence for first year, is it worth getting an ensuite room or is a shared bathroom not as bad as its cracked up to be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheJack12
Applying for halls of residence for first year, is it worth getting an ensuite room or is a shared bathroom not as bad as its cracked up to be?

I'm in the same position as you! I'm confused which one to pick!

Both have its pros and cons tbh. What Uni are you considering? x
Reply 2
Original post by Anonbabes
I'm in the same position as you! I'm confused which one to pick!

Both have its pros and cons tbh. What Uni are you considering? x

Pretty sure I'm going to go for Southampton Uni now, how about you?

Trying to decide as well. So hard!
Reply 4
For the whole three years of my undergraduate I shared a house (in halls) with 15 other people. We had 2 showers, 1 bathtub and 3 toilets and there was never a problem. It was very rare that both showers were used at the same time.

I lived in a shared bathroom house and it was fine, as long as you aren't living with.. silly people.

I also had the option of having a sink in my room, really didn't need it :h:

If money is no object then.... en suite, why not? :tongue:
Pretty sure I'm going to go for Southampton Uni now, how about you?

Coventry Uni. Hopefully it's not as "rubbish" as some people assume....

Original post by Chr0n
For the whole three years of my undergraduate I shared a house (in halls) with 15 other people. We had 2 showers, 1 bathtub and 3 toilets and there was never a problem. It was very rare that both showers were used at the same time.

Hm
Reply 7
You appreciate the ensuite once you get diarrhea
Original post by M14B
You appreciate the ensuite once you get diarrhea

:colondollar: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I feel sorry for girls when they're on their period
Original post by Anonbabes
:colondollar: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I feel sorry for girls when they're on their period

Yep.

The issue with shared bathrooms is rarely one of someone using it when you need it. Instead it's things like one of your flatmates tipping out the bathroom bin into the hallway mid pre-drinks and yelling "EWWW WHO'S ON THEIR PERIOD".

I wasn't that day, but it did prompt me, for the rest of the year, to roll up used items in a tissue/little plastic bag, pocket it, and then put it into the bin in my room/main bins (which is arguably so much more gross than using the bathroom bin, but my reasoning was that I'd rather avoid the possibility of having them scattered all over the flat.)
Original post by Magdatrix >_<
Yep.

The issue with shared bathrooms is rarely one of someone using it when you need it. Instead it's things like one of your flatmates tipping out the bathroom bin into the hallway mid pre-drinks and yelling "EWWW WHO'S ON THEIR PERIOD".

I wasn't that day, but it did prompt me, for the rest of the year, to roll up used items in a tissue/little plastic bag, pocket it, and then put it into the bin in my room/main bins (which is arguably so much more gross than using the bathroom bin, but my reasoning was that I'd rather avoid the possibility of having them scattered all over the flat.)

Erm :frown:
Depends if you need it for health reasons or if you have money to waste. Usually an ensuite will cost you at least an extra 1k if not more. That's a lot of money when you already have a limited amount to live off.
Sharing a bathroom is really not that bad, but if you can afford the ensuite there aren't really any downsides.
Yes, I'm going ensuite. Couldn't deal with sharing my pooper :tongue:
I had to make a decision on this for manchester. In terms of cost, it's probably not worth the extra money itself. But there's no way I'm sharing a bathroom with 4-12 people for a year. So in that case don't mind being ripped off weekly. My friends a year above me in uni always tell me stories of how their flat mates throw up near the toilets or pee with bad aim.

I'm not even taking the risk.

I don't mind sharing a kitchen though
(edited 8 years ago)
Shared saved me £20 a week when i lived in halls, so the saving paid my food bills. I managed with no problems sharing a bathroom with 5 other women.
It depends on how much you want it. If you're really not bothered about a shared bathroom then I wouldn't bother wasting about an extra grand in a accommodation fees when you need all the money you can get at uni. But for me, I really wanted and do have an ensuite. The thought of sharing a bathroom with total strangers with no idea how hygenic they are scared me enough to get an ensuite room this year at uni. While I pay extra, I very much appreciate having it there especially like others have said when you're ill/on your period.
Original post by SeanFM
I lived in a shared bathroom house and it was fine, as long as you aren't living with.. silly people.

How do you know if you'll be living with silly people? I didn't take the chance, ensuite for the win!
Reply 18
30 people in my house sharing 4 toilets and 4 showers. Never has any problems and glad to have saved the extra money.
I had a shared bathroom and thought it was fine. The only issue was it could be annoying in the mornibg for example if you had to wait or in the winter at night it is was a fair distance from your room (I mean like 20m, just felt colder).

However the pros outweighed the cons in my opinion. The best bit were a) it was cheaper b) we had the option of a bath and c) it was cleaned every day. Unlike my friends with ensuites who had to clean their own.

Quick Reply

Latest