The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Punisher95
help please. University of Manchester vs QMUL for LLB Law. Still waiting on Nottingham too.

I would say manchester has a slightly better reputation than QMUL, and nottingham slightly edges manchester.

But, particularly with manchester and qmul, the actual difference in reputation is so minimal that you should go where you are most comfortable.
Original post by guest115
I would say manchester has a slightly better reputation than QMUL, and nottingham slightly edges manchester.

But, particularly with manchester and qmul, the actual difference in reputation is so minimal that you should go where you are most comfortable.

QMUL is nowhere near as good as it's hyped up to be, but it is ludicrous to suggest that it's not better than Manchester and insane to suggest Manchester is better.
Reply 3
Original post by Jade Goodey
QMUL is nowhere near as good as it's hyped up to be, but it is ludicrous to suggest that it's not better than Manchester and insane to suggest Manchester is better.

I know QM has shot up some league tables for law, but viewing in wider context - manchester probably just edges in reputation. As an overall establishment, manchester carries greater weight.

However, as I said the differences will not be great, and often down to personal opinion. I think you should pick where you will do the best and have the most fun.
I know QM has shot up some league tables for law, but viewing in wider context - manchester probably just edges in reputation. As an overall establishment, manchester carries greater weight.

However, as I said the differences will not be great, and often down to personal opinion. I think you should pick where you will do the best and have the most fun.

Slaughter & May does not care that Manchester has a stronger physics department than QMUL. They care about the quality of the law course, not the university generally. QMUL undoubtedly has the stronger course.
Reply 5
Slaughter & May does not care that Manchester has a stronger physics department than QMUL. They care about the quality of the law course, not the university generally. QMUL undoubtedly has the stronger course.

We don't necessarily know whether the OP wants to pursue law as a career (plenty who take law degrees do not).
Also, there is no chance Slaugher and May will decide whether to hire a candidate because they are at QM rather than Manchester. Other factors will be used to distinguish candidates, and both uni's are good enough to have a chance with an interview.
We don't necessarily know whether the OP wants to pursue law as a career (plenty who take law degrees do not).
Also, there is no chance Slaugher and May will decide whether to hire a candidate because they are at QM rather than Manchester. Other factors will be used to distinguish candidates, and both uni's are good enough to have a chance with an interview.

The point still stands. QMUL's general reputation is irrelevant; no employer will look down on QMUL in comparison to Manchester. Everyone knows QMUL's law course is strong, and if they don't know a simple little Google would suffice to inform them of the truth.

I am not saying S&M would distinguish on the basis of university. You brought up reputation. I simply said that if anyone's gonna be looked down upon by firms, it's going to be Manchester.
Reply 7
The point still stands. QMUL's general reputation is irrelevant; no employer will look down on QMUL in comparison to Manchester. Everyone knows QMUL's law course is strong, and if they don't know a simple little Google would suffice to inform them of the truth.

I am not saying S&M would distinguish on the basis of university. You brought up reputation. I simply said that if anyone's gonna be looked down upon by firms, it's going to be Manchester.

I brought up reputation to say there was minimal difference and the OP should go where he sees himself enjoying the most!

Also, particularly smaller business outside of the legal sector, may perceive manchester to carry more weight than QM.
I brought up reputation to say there was minimal difference and the OP should go where he sees himself enjoying the most!

Also, particularly smaller business outside of the legal sector, may perceive manchester to carry more weight than QM.

And in saying that you said Manchester has better rep, which it doesn't. That's what I am commenting on here about. And the difference is not minimal -- not at all. Manchester is an ABB–AAB course, whereas QMUL is chiefly an A*AA course.

May. Supposition from someone who's never worked in the grad market. You would really give someone advice about their future based on conjecture?
Reply 9
And in saying that you said Manchester has better rep, which it doesn't. That's what I am commenting on here about. And the difference is not minimal -- not at all. Manchester is an ABB–AAB course, whereas QMUL is chiefly an A*AA course.

May. Supposition from someone who's never worked in the grad market. You would really give someone advice about their future based on conjecture?

Seriously? manchester an Abb course? I honestly wasnt aware how uninformed you were about this...

Its AAA, btw, and QM does not justify its A*AA by many accounts
Manchester is really good for Law
Seriously? manchester an Abb course? I honestly wasnt aware how uninformed you were about this...

Its AAA, btw, and QM does not justify its A*AA by many accounts

You're an applicant, so I can understand your ignorance. If you had been around this scene for a few years, you'd see the countless people accepted on results day with AAB and below for the Manchester course. There is a difference between de jure and de facto. Watch and learn, young one.
Reply 12
If you get Nottingham, definitely (!) that over either QMUL/Manchester. If not, I'd personally go with QMUL despite its meaningless attempts to inflate its reputation.
Original post by AthiaKarim
Manchester is really good for Law

Is it as good as QMUL? Nah, didn't think so.
Is it as good as QMUL? Nah, didn't think so.

Whats with your obsession for QM?
Whats with your obsession for QM?

I said in my immediate post that QMUL is over-hyped. My obsession clearly is not with QMUL; it's with correcting people who don't have a clue what they're on about.
You're an applicant, so I can understand your ignorance. If you had been around this scene for a few years, you'd see the countless people accepted on results day with AAB and below for the Manchester course. There is a difference between de jure and de facto. Watch and learn, young one.

haha just as a warning, you sound like a real ass here:h:
Without doubt QM will allow some candidates who do not meet the requirements, infact apart from a select few - many unis do
haha just as a warning, you sound like a real ass here:h:
Without doubt QM will allow some candidates who do not meet the requirements, infact apart from a select few - many unis do

The difference is that QMUL does it sparingly and Manchester does it all the time. When Manchester does it, they take in ABB and AAB. When QMUL do it, they take in A*AB or AAA. Again, QMUL do it sparingly.

I don't think I've met a Manc LLB who actually achieved AAA. It's sort of like Birmingham in that its offers are just nominal.
Reply 18
The difference is that QMUL does it sparingly and Manchester does it all the time. When Manchester does it, they take in ABB and AAB. When QMUL do it, they take in A*AB or AAA. Again, QMUL do it sparingly.

I don't think I've met a Manc LLB who actually achieved AAA. It's sort of like Birmingham in that its offers are just nominal.

QMUL has been.in clearing every year, asking most of the times AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
QMUL has been.in clearing every year, asking most of the times AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are in Extra, Adjustment and sometimes Clearing. They ask for A*AA, though.

I know a user on here who got rejected because they got A*AB on results day. In recent years, they've become much stricter.

Latest

Trending

Trending