The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

What should i spend my final student payment on?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
What is so ridiculous about spending my student money, do you think i'm the only student to do this/??

lol no.

The concept that saving is a problem for you is what I find ridiculous, it's not a problem it's an excuse. Not saving is a choice you make, not because saving is a "problem" but because you choose not to save for whatever reason.

Spend the money or don't spend the money it doesn't really matter to me and it's completely your choice.

And for the record, I have 0 problem with you as a person and I don't dislike.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
No, but i do have an unconditional place on the masters in education at my uni, for starting in September. Which is a relief!

A master's from Derby. That should improve your grad prospects.
Gamble it all on red!
No, but i do have an unconditional place on the masters in education at my uni, for starting in September. Which is a relief!

I would suggest keeping the £1000 then. At least until you're finished your education and have a job with a steady income. Then you can splash out and get whatever you want. Until then, it's best to keep that money safe in case you need it to get by on. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Sandor Clegane
A master's from Derby. That should improve your grad prospects.

Derby is near the top of graduate prospects actually, and i am only doing a masters to a; give me some work experience in education settings, and b; take me one step closer to my research doctorate in philosophy. But you are probably going to say that that won't be worth the paper its printed on, am i right??
Reply 25
Original post by rayquaza17
I would suggest keeping the £1000 then. At least until you're finished your education and have a job with a steady income. Then you can splash out and get whatever you want. Until then, it's best to keep that money safe in case you need it to get by on. :smile:

i've also got a portfolio of £150k which i can access if i need it.
Derby is near the top of graduate prospects actually, and i am only doing a masters to a; give me some work experience in education settings, and b; take me one step closer to my research doctorate in philosophy. But you are probably going to say that that won't be worth the paper its printed on, am i right??

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. **** off.
Reply 27
HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. **** off.

And how many of them were in grad jobs? 96.1% of people from Derby managing to get jobs at Asda and Primark doesn't make Derby "near the top of graduate prospects".
You don't necessarily need to spend it or save it. Just leave it in your bank until you think of something to spend it on, something you think of yourself and something thats worth it.
i'm not very good at saving though, that's my only problem sophie??

Put it in a ISA or Bonds saving account. (Forgot what they're called so you will have to do a bit of research). Once you put in money it doesn't allow you to withdraw it for a set period 1-5 years. The longer you pick, the better the interest rate you accrue on the money.

Might be a good way to save while forcing you not to splurge.
Reply 31
i've just spent some money £150 on paying off three of my cards, and £50 on my student debt. Every little helps?!?
Reply 32
And how many of them were in grad jobs? 96.1% of people from Derby managing to get jobs at Asda and Primark doesn't make Derby "near the top of graduate prospects".

the average graduate salary is £27k at Derby. That is more than they pay at Primark i'm sorry to say!

http://www.totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-graduate-salary-derby
the average graduate salary is £27k at Derby. That is more than they pay at Primark i'm sorry to say!

http://www.totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-graduate-salary-derby

Jesus. HAHHAHAHHAHA. Isn't your degree social sciences or something? How can you cite "Total Jobs" with a sample of 28 people? Your degree is literally analysing social data. No wonder you're on 2:2 at Derby, referencing ****ing job sites in your essays.
Reply 34
Jesus. HAHHAHAHHAHA. Isn't your degree social sciences or something? How can you cite "Total Jobs" with a sample of 28 people? Your degree is literally analysing social data. No wonder you're on 2:2 at Derby, referencing ****ing job sites in your essays.

see this site for a more reputable source, but with the same finding. stop being nasty.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jul/04/which-graduates-are-finding-work
see this site for a more reputable source, but with the same finding. stop being nasty.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jul/04/which-graduates-are-finding-work

Where does the Guardian mention £27k for Derby grads? Ctrl f is failing me at this point.
Reply 36
Original post by Jade Goodey
Where does the Guardian mention £27k for Derby grads? Ctrl f is failing me at this point.

just leave it okay
Reply 37
Original post by Jade Goodey

Do you really think that someone like me who has just spent £25k and seven years doing access and then a degree, is going to settle for a minimum wage job at primark?
Reply 38

this isn't an essay, but a online student forum. a sample of 28 people is more than you have provided, which is absolutely zilch okay???
Do you really think that someone like me who has just spent £25k and seven years doing access and then a degree, is going to settle for a minimum wage job at primark?

I think it won't be your choice. It's sad to say and I am sure it must be a blow, but it's the truth.

Quick Reply

Latest