The Student Room Group

Hard maths questions for higher maths GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by atsruser
All of the questions that I've posted can be done with GCSE knowledge + insight. It's the insight that makes them hard, of course.

When I said the thread had gone off topic, I was referring to the posts above me e.g. your post #72.
A computer password for a top secret system comprises 50 randomly chosen digits, each in the range 0-9. There are 105010^{50} distinct such passwords.

A computer cracker builds a powerful computer to break into the system. It tries each password in turn until the correct one is found. It can try a million million million passwords per second, and it is left running for a million million million years.

To the nearest one millionth of one percent, what percentage of passwords are still left to be tried, after this period of time?
Circle A is inscribed inside a square of side 2 so that it is tangent to all four sides. A smaller circle, B, is inscribed in the gap between circle A and the two sides of the square at one of the corners. Circle B is tangent to circle A and to the two sides of the square.

Find the radius of circle B.
Solve n34n315=0n^3-4n-315=0
15 - 6 = 11

I'm sorry. It just is. No, it just is.
Circle A is inscribed inside a square of side 2 so that it is tangent to all four sides. A smaller circle, B, is inscribed in the gap between circle A and the two sides of the square at one of the corners. Circle B is tangent to circle A and to the two sides of the square.

Find the radius of circle B.

Spoiler

Solve n34n315=0n^3-4n-315=0

Spoiler

A computer password for a top secret system comprises 50 randomly chosen digits, each in the range 0-9. There are 105010^{50} distinct such passwords.

A computer cracker builds a powerful computer to break into the system. It tries each password in turn until the correct one is found. It can try a million million million passwords per second, and it is left running for a million million million years.

To the nearest one millionth of one percent, what percentage of passwords are still left to be tried, after this period of time?

Spoiler

Original post by TheOtherSide.

Spoiler

I would presume so, a small note however that the other roots are actually complex, not irrational.
Original post by joostan
I would presume so, a small note however that the other roots are actually complex, not irrational.

My bad! I'll keep that in mind when doing something like this again...
My bad! I'll keep that in mind when doing something like this again...

It's not really an issue for GCSE level, I just thought I'd mention it for interest's sake, by definition an irrational number is by definition real.
Original post by joostan
It's not really an issue for GCSE level, I just thought I'd mention it for interest's sake, by definition an irrational number is by definition real.

If I'm being honest, I still don't get the difference between a complex number and an irrational number - do complex numbers only show up when working out quadratics?
Reply 90
Original post by joostan

To be fair, it's usually by convention that nNn \in \mathbb{N} or nZn \in \mathbb{Z} so being irrational would be a sufficient condition to discard those solutions, I think.
If I'm being honest, I still don't get the difference between a complex number and an irrational number - do complex numbers only show up when working out quadratics?

An irrational number is a number which cannot be expressed as the ratio, ab\frac{a}{b} of two integers.
A complex number is a generalisation of the real numbers which gives every polynomial of order nn exactly nn solutions in the complex plane. Essentially one defines an imaginary number i=1i=\sqrt{-1} and proceed from there, though that is a discussion best suited to another thread.

Original post by Zacken
To be fair, it's usually by convention that nNn \in \mathbb{N} or nZn \in \mathbb{Z} so being irrational would be a sufficient condition to discard those solutions, I think.

Agreed, though I tend to be a bit nit-picky, guess the pure courses have rubbed off on me :/

Spoiler

That's not what I got. I'll check my result - it came to a nice exact answer, with surds.

Spoiler

Yes but...
Hint:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think that you misread the question. And that doesn't look quite right, even if you are trying to compute the % finished.

It would be easier to comment if you put up some working.
Original post by joostan
Essentially one defines an imaginary number i=1i=\sqrt{-1} and proceed from there, though that is a discussion best suited to another thread.

You can definitely ignore complex solutions here - it's a GCSE thread.
That's not what I got. I'll check my result - it came to a nice exact answer, with surds.

I did get an exact answer with surds, except I wasn’t sure howto put it down: (-1 + sqrt2)/2

Yes but...
Hint:

Spoiler

That’s what I did at the beginning, except I didn’t know whereto go from n(n+2)(n-2) = 315, so I ended up using the factor theorem to get(n-7) and then used long division to get a quadratic.

I think that you misread the question. And that doesn't look quite right, even if you are trying to compute the % finished.

It would be easier to comment if you put up some working.

I still haven’t familiarised myself with latex, so apologiesabout not being able to display everything in a way that’s easy to understand. Amillion million million passwords is the same as 10^17 passwords per second. Ithen multiplied this by 31536000, which is the number of seconds in a year, andthen multiplied by another 10^17 for the number of years. I divided all this by10^50 and multiplied by 100 to get a percentage. I’m not sure what else I could have done, unless I didmisread the question, or maybe made a stupid mistake.
I did get an exact answer with surds, except I wasn’t sure howto put it down: (-1 + sqrt2)/2

I get r=212+1r = \frac{\sqrt{2}-1}{\sqrt{2}+1}

That’s what I did at the beginning, except I didn’t know whereto go from n(n+2)(n-2) = 315, so I ended up using the factor theorem to get(n-7) and then used long division to get a quadratic.

You didn't factorise 315 - do that, then use the fact that there is only one way to factorise both sides.

You can't use the factor theorem here - this is a GCSE thread, so you must restrict yourself to GCSE methods.

I still haven’t familiarised myself with latex, so apologiesabout not being able to display everything in a way that’s easy to understand. Amillion million million passwords is the same as 10^17 passwords per second. Ithen multiplied this by 31536000, which is the number of seconds in a year, andthen multiplied by another 10^17 for the number of years. I divided all this by10^50 and multiplied by 100 to get a percentage. I’m not sure what else I could have done, unless I didmisread the question, or maybe made a stupid mistake.

Actually I have noticed a typo in my question so it didn't quite work out as nice as I wanted it. But yes, you have badly misread the question. What does it ask you to find?

[edit: and you might want to check your powers - what is a million million million in powers of 10?]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 96
This
Reply 97
This question on counters
Reply 98
This calculator paper question
Original post by OGGUS
This

Is this correct? I skipped some steps as it isn't an exam.

Quick Reply

Latest