The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RayApparently
You'd pick a head of government based on whether or not they were the same race as you? That's rather primitive.

I'm not saying that that's right, however a lot of blacks voted for Obama cause he's black
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
we had 4 million ukip voters last election; so youre potentially looking at a couple million racists right there. nah i would say maybe 200 years until a black prime minister happens and maybe 100 for asian

I wouldn't vote for UKIP, I don't think everyone who votes for them is racist though

Original post by DMcGovern
Unlikely in the near future - we've yet to have a non-Protestant/Catholic PM, I believe that's still against the law.

Disraeli was a Jew
Original post by kieran12321LFC
I wouldn't vote for UKIP, I don't think everyone who votes for them is racist though

Disraeli was a Jew

He converted to Anglicanism at the age of 12.
I also kind of meant PMs 1950s onwards.

DRINK!!
I'm not saying that that's right, however a lot of blacks voted for Obama cause he's black

I'm not convinced a black Republican would have one and I do believe a black democrat could easily have lost if they weren't Obama.

LOL ok then
Original post by mightybis0n
>massive white british majority

What's so wrong with having a white prime minister? Doesn't mean we're 'behind' anyone. Obama only won because of his skin colour, and look how that turned out for the US.

He didn't win because of his skin colour, he won because he was the only president who wasn't a complete idiot. And he has done many good things for America.
I'll be the first don't worry guys.
I don't think it would be a good thing, because the head of state is meant to represent the people, imagine how odd it would be if Japan's Prime Minister was ethnically Pakistani. The reason why it's okay for America to have non-white heads of state is because white people are not the indigenous other there, they've always been diverse.

However, I don't like identity politics and I wouldn't vote for someone solely because of their race, gender or sexuality, but how well I think they could lead. If for instance the election was contested between Sajid Javid or Jeremy Corbyn I would vote for the former.
Original post by mightybis0n
Obama only won because of his skin colour, and look how that turned out for the US.

True but his skin colour isn't why he totally fails as a president. Because of "checks and balances" Congress has leverage over the President; like he can't do too much of anything unless they agree. If they outvote him, or not enough of them vote for bills he wants to pass, it doesn't happen. And for his Administration somehow he allowed Congress to be majority Repub :facepalm:. He should have more savvy and charisma or just more balls and make some sh*t happen, he doesn't fight for anything it seems. He needs to be more like Trump, personality-wise :flute:.
Reply 69
My guess is it'll be Chukka Ummuna.
He's played his cards very carefully lately... was going to go for leadership, realised the labour party is and will be a shambles for the forseeable and got out leaving the bumbling idiot corbyn to go down in the inevitable flames. My guess is He'll be leader of the labour party in the not too distant future - 7 / 8 years time something like that?

I predict it'll be another conservative parliament in 2020 and then he'll be PM in 2025.
Original post by Someone32
How far do you think Britain is from having a black or Asian prime minister? why do you think we are behind America in terms of ethnic minorities in government?

As soon as one becomes available that's an MP I'll let you know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone want to set up the Palumbus Party with me? You'll definitely be in the Cabinet.
At least we are ahead of the USA in having had a female prime minister I guess
Reply 73
Original post by Someone32
How far do you think Britain is from having a black or Asian prime minister? why do you think we are behind America in terms of ethnic minorities in government?

...we've got fewer of them.
Unlikely in the near future - we've yet to have a non-Protestant/Catholic PM, I believe that's still against the law.

It isn't.

And we have had both Catholic and Jewish leaders of the opposition.

We have also had a CofE Prime Minister who was ethnically Jewish and an atheist Leader of the Opposition who was ethnically Jewish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
It isn't.

And we have had both Catholic and Jewish leaders of the opposition.

We have also had a CofE Prime Minister who was ethnically Jewish and an atheist Leader of the Opposition who was ethnically Jewish.

It is.
Leader of the opposition is nowhere near the same as Prime Minister.
Neither is being 'ethnically' Jewish when still being Anglican.
Original post by JC.
My guess is it'll be Chukka Ummuna.
He's played his cards very carefully lately... was going to go for leadership, realised the labour party is and will be a shambles for the forseeable and got out leaving the bumbling idiot corbyn to go down in the inevitable flames. My guess is He'll be leader of the labour party in the not too distant future - 7 / 8 years time something like that?

I predict it'll be another conservative parliament in 2020 and then he'll be PM in 2025.

I said Chuka Umunna would never be PM in 2010 and I'm saying it again now

Watch an interview of the guy on Andrew Marr or similar. His much vaunted charisma seems to rest entirely upon the colour of his skin. Other than that he is one of the most tepid and uninspiring Labour front benchers around today and I don't think Tory leaders-in-waiting will have much of a problem in prioritising higher in the public mind traditional PR Tory virtues than whatever opposing agenda he will attempt to present
(edited 8 years ago)
It is.

You are wrong.

There is no law preventing a Roman Catholic or any other non-Protestant from becoming Prime Minister.

There would have been a Roman Catholic Prime Minister if (a) Ian Duncan Smith had not received the order of the boot in 2003 and (b) the Conservatives had won the 2005 general election.

There would have been a Jewish Prime Minister if the Conservatives had won the 2005 general election and Michael Howard had become Prime Minister.

There would have been an atheist Prime Minister if Labour had won either the 1983 or 2015 elections.

There have been several non-Anglican Prime Ministers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
You are wrong.

There is no law preventing a Roman Catholic or any other non-Protestant from becoming Prime Minister.

There would have been a Roman Catholic Prime Minister if (a) Ian Duncan Smith had not received the order of the boot in 2003 and (b) the Conservatives had won the 2005 general election.

There would have been a Jewish Prime Minister if the Conservatives had won the 2005 general election and Michael Howard had become Prime Minister.

There would have been an atheist Prime Minister if Labour had won either the 1983 or 2015 elections.

There have been several non-Anglican Prime Ministers

This still does not detract from the fact that an ethnic minority PM will not come around for another decade at least. There are only 27 ethnic minority MPs in the HoC at present in a chamber of 650 - what does that tell you?
Reply 79
Original post by a noble chance
I said Chuka Umunna would never be PM in 2010 and I'm saying it again now

Watch an interview of the guy on Andrew Marr or similar. His much vaunted charisma seems to rest entirely upon the colour of his skin. Other than that he is one of the most tepid and uninspiring Labour front benchers around today and I don't think Tory leaders-in-waiting will have much of a problem in prioritising higher in the public mind traditional PR Tory virtues than whatever opposing agenda he will attempt to present

I never said I liked the guy...
Look at gideon... he's like a reptile in a suit. Did you expect him to be anywhere near the cabinet?

Latest

Trending

Trending