The Student Room Group

Do you worry about the future?

Scroll to see replies

No, I am looking forward to change. I am a bit bored with school now, and am looking forward to doing something different. Of course there are unknowns, but unexpectedness is what makes life interesting (the good surprises more than the bad ones).
Original post by paul514
I honestly just think the government is looking at the next 10 years and thinking they won't notice and let's be fair the vast majority don't.

The less people the better when you have a universal income scheme.

I personally don't think it will come for at least 10 years.

With regards to the lifetime isa it's dogshit you put 4K in a year and they will give you 1k only when you hit 60 so you have a minimum of 20 years of inflation meaning it's worthless.

If you take it for a house I l for over 450k you get no bonus and they scrapped the help to buy isa on the quiet

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is not necessarily dogshit, it depends what you do with it.

Put it in a stocks and shares ISA with a passive tracker and you pretty much replicate the principle on which pensions are based.

Except it is tax free when you cash it, unlike current mortgages, only 25% of which is tax free.
Original post by paul514
Automation will destroy employment in the future

Will that be before or after the paperless office?
I'm close to getting an apprenticeship so I'm not too concerned. I generally live in the now and I forget about the future, so I don't really worry about the future.
Nope.

I started working part time/engaging in freelance opportunities when I was 16. Snubbed off working at the typical supermarkets/bars because I felt like I wouldn't get the same challenges and remuneration there. Applied to about 6-10 technology/technology section of larger stores (ala John Lewis) and got invited to interviews at every single place; aced them all and ultimately chose O2. Did that for a couple of months, then decided to call it quits so I could focus on my exams.

During that time I applied, interviewed and secured a seat on a selective entrepreneurship scheme at MIT and Wharton Business School, accepted the former, where I spent the summer formulating a startup. I subsequently ran that startup alongside my teammates (mostly Harvard/Stanford students) at the program for a year generating c.$200k revenue. Alongside this, I've also done web dev projects here and there - running an informal web dev team as well. Also, nabbed a part time job selling phones at Three afterwards which I did for 1.5 years.

Now, my sights are set on getting into uni and breaking into one of the selective 'top tier' grad jobs - namely: strategy consulting, banking or corporate law. I love the challenge of beating the competition out there, being surrounded by top notch coworkers and having opportunities to go on to even greater pastures later down the line.

For me at least, I've always been super ambitious and have always tried to go the extra mile to beat out my competitors. So no, I don't really worry about what the future holds but rather, I look forward to it. Look forward to executing the 25+ page career plan I've developed and best of all, the journey on the way up. :smile:

Long post, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
Will that be before or after the paperless office?

All well and good trying to throw out a smart comment but it's already started.

No one is saying all jobs will go but it's not pushing it to say half will.

A third of all retail jobs will be gone in 9 years for example

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by paul514
All well and good trying to throw out a smart comment but it's already started.

No one is saying all jobs will go but it's not pushing it to say half will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm old enough to have been of a generation who were told that after the year 2000 people would largely live a life of leisure:smile:

And they weren't referring to the feckless and unemployable but to most people.

The interesting thing was,I think,that this was seen as something we could all look forward to.

I've never really understood the psychological need to work when life is so relatively short ,especially ones youth.

But there you go.

Yes,retail jobs are disappearing fast and this probably does not bode well for those who think work is important.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by FireFreezer77
I'm close to getting an apprenticeship so I'm not too concerned. I generally live in the now and I forget about the future, so I don't really worry about the future.

A good dose of real life will soon sort you out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by matt1001
Does the UK create enough jobs for the ever increasing population?

Only with respect to the NHS; E.g: Will it become privatised and will GEM funding run out before I access it?
No.
Reply 30
Well I'm glad of the opportunity to put your mind at rest with one of those.

Yes,of course the NHS will be privatised.

At the moment the main reason it isn't more privatised is because both main parties realise it's a big vote loser.

But the majority of MPs understand that it's just a question of time and timing.

As the UK population gets larger and larger and older and older the NHS will become more and more inefficient.

Eventually all main parties will agree on the appropriate course of action.

But probably not for another 20 years.

Which,like many things in the more recent history of this country,will be 10 years after it was most needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by paul514

I bet you 10p that there will be more people employed in retail in 9 years time than there is today (2.9M).
Reply 32
I bet you 10p that there will be more people employed in retail in 9 years time than there is today (2.9M).

On what basis?

(I now do 80% of my non food shopping with Amazon and the rest with John Lewis.)

Can't even remember the last time I was in a shop:frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
I worry about the rise of anti-Semitism, which is driving jews to Israel from Europe, which is very worrying. I worry about future conflict between Russia+Chinca and NATO. However, I do see good things in the future, a return to 2nd wave feminism is growing, as campaigns to actually help opressed women in the 3rd world finally superceed those to help the far more opressed women in the first world.
Original post by Rakas21
The UK has around 700,000 job vacancies at any one time and maintains this even though unemployment is falling and the claimant count is the lowest since 1974.

You may worry about the type of job but the UK labour market is actually one of the most dynamic in the world.

and how many of the jobs are part time or zero contract etc

I'll take your 10p lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mstone12
and how many of the jobs are part time or zero contract etc

About 20% are part time and about 6% are zero hours.
Original post by matt1001
Does the UK create enough jobs for the ever increasing population?

Yes.

Here is a graph of the UK's historic population:

and here its historic unemployment rate:

As you can see, unemployment has remained constant within bounds for over a century while the population has more than doubled.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending