The Student Room Group

Going private for Braces

I've already had them as a child but stopped using the retainers too soon. For those who have gone private, how much did they cost, how bad were your teeth to start with and how long were they on for?
Mine were around £4000. My teeth were pretty crooked but nothing super major I guess. I had them on for 2 years.
Reply 2
Original post by aspiehs
Mine were around £4000. My teeth were pretty crooked but nothing super major I guess. I had them on for 2 years.

£4000? **** that's expensive. I only need the front 4 top and bottom realigned so I'm hoping not too much
I paid £3500 for Damon braces, my teeth weren't great but not absolutely terrible either. I look back at photos and think they seem a lot worse now than they did at the time because they are so straight now. I think I wore mine around 18 months or so. Price also included fixed retainers, so although I have a removable retainer to wear at night I also have fixed wires top and bottom now, which has meant they've not moved back so easily.
Mine were £3k over a 2 year period which my mom paid for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have to pay for braces at 18? or there are certain exceptions?
Original post by Blackstarr
Do you have to pay for braces at 18? or there are certain exceptions?

I got mine at 15 so I wouldn't know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got mine at 15 so I wouldn't know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my goodness! :eek: Worth it though? I know mine are, but then again I got them on the NHS and I'm thanking my lucky stars for it right now!
Original post by iEthan
Oh my goodness! :eek: Worth it though? I know mine are, but then again I got them on the NHS and I'm thanking my lucky stars for it right now!

Yes! Definitely worth it hahaha. I used to have a MASSIVE rift between my front two teeth and a substantial overbite. But, after the treatment, that's all gone now! It's a pain having to wear retainers, I must say :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! Definitely worth it hahaha. I used to have a MASSIVE rift between my front two teeth and a substantial overbite. But, after the treatment, that's all gone now! It's a pain having to wear retainers, I must say :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really not looking forward to retainers :no: mine were really bad and a dentist caused an infection (oops, sorry NHS :erm:) in one of my adult molars so it had to be removed… hence I had a large gap. But it's closing now and will probably close completely!! I am massively grateful for getting them because they're a huge confidence boost imo. Overbite was always a problem for me too! The only thing I could do without is tightening pains… :no: the false sense of security just afterwards when they don't hurt is the worst! Speaking of tightening… I am getting that done today :bawling:
Original post by iEthan
I'm really not looking forward to retainers :no: mine were really bad and a dentist caused an infection (oops, sorry NHS :erm:) in one of my adult molars so it had to be removed… hence I had a large gap. But it's closing now and will probably close completely!! I am massively grateful for getting them because they're a huge confidence boost imo. Overbite was always a problem for me too! The only thing I could do without is tightening pains… :no: the false sense of security just afterwards when they don't hurt is the worst! Speaking of tightening… I am getting that done today :bawling:

Oohh, you'll loathe them! :lol: I've started only wearing mine every couple of mights because of how tedious they are to put on.

Darn, that sounds horrific! :redface: How did the infection come about? You shouldn't worry about your overbite closing, you'll be super surprised at the end result of all the tweaking and tightening soon enough.

Lmao, I used to forego any sort of solid food for like a week when I had mine tightened. Meant I could drink loadsa smoothies though :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oohh, you'll loathe them! :lol: I've started only wearing mine every couple of mights because of how tedious they are to put on.

Darn, that sounds horrific! :redface: How did the infection come about? You shouldn't worry about your overbite closing, you'll be super surprised at the end result of all the tweaking and tightening soon enough.

Lmao, I used to forego any sort of solid food for like a week when I had mine tightened. Meant I could drink loadsa smoothies though :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really wasn't good :erm: the dentist saw me for an emergency appointment and we think he didn't sterilise something as he was packing the molar… I subsequently got an abscess which was extraordinarily painful and the tooth just had to go… it was rather embarrassing but oh my goodness. The SECOND the tooth was removed, the pain relief was incredible! Seriously it made me feel amazing :lol: and the tooth was a total goner. We were going to do something about it but as a bribe (so to speak) to keep us quiet, we uh… got pushed a bit forward in the Ortho queue. :giggle:

I do the same! Smoothies and soup :teeth: and milk to dull the pain, which always works :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest