The Student Room Group

How long did it take for your period to become regular?

i started my period when i was 13 and now im almost 19, my period is every five-six weeks and because of this im always really heavy and in so much pain. every few months (around six months) i miss a month. i feel like it always constantly changing as sometimes but very rarely i be on quite early.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i started my period when i was 13 and now im almost 19, my period is every five-six weeks and because of this im always really heavy and in so much pain. every few months (around six months) i miss a month. i feel like it always constantly changing as sometimes but very rarely i be on quite early.

6 years sounds much too long, go see your gp as there could be something underlying or at least they can help with the pain.
Reply 2

i meant to say every 5-6 weeks after ive finished so 6-7 weeks from when i first began
I started when I was 13 and I'm now 18. I started the pill when I was 17, which made my periods like clockwork, but before that I had horrible painful periods every 5-6 weeks. Definitely visit the doctor!
Reply 4
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
I started when I was 13 and I'm now 18. I started the pill when I was 17, which made my periods like clockwork, but before that I had horrible painful periods every 5-6 weeks. Definitely visit the doctor!

they didnt do anything when i said i havebad pians, they gave me tablets to thin my blood i was like thanks
I got mine when I was 14 and they were very regular for about 5 months when I first started
Now I'm 16 and they're all over the place. I get bad pains, there's normally between 5 and 7 weeks between first day of one and first day of the next, they're so unpredictable (I get no warning signs whatsoever) and they're so annoying now.
It's like it's in reverse, started off regular and now it's getting worse :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I got mine when I was 14 and they were very regular for about 5 months when I first started
Now I'm 16 and they're all over the place. I get bad pains, there's normally between 5 and 7 weeks between first day of one and first day of the next, they're so unpredictable (I get no warning signs whatsoever) and they're so annoying now.
It's like it's in reverse, started off regular and now it's getting worse :s-smilie:

thankfully i get signs; sore breasts, moody as hell. crying all the time and hungry all the time
they didnt do anything when i said i havebad pians, they gave me tablets to thin my blood i was like thanks

Ah okay. Are you on the pill/ considered the pill?
Reply 8
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
Ah okay. Are you on the pill/ considered the pill?

no as im not sexually active and i dont want the pill to give me an artificial period, id prefer natural
Reply 9
Mine started when I was 10, I'm 19 now and they've never been regular. I've had the pill, currently on the implant, and neither have worked. Was even sent for scans and everything is ok.:s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by Airmed
Mine started when I was 10, I'm 19 now and they've never been regular. I've had the pill, currently on the implant, and neither have worked. Was even sent for scans and everything is ok.:s-smilie:

Tried something like the Kegel8?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started when I was 12 and I'm 18 now, never became regular on its own, only when I started on the pill which is a godsend tbh
I started when I was 12 and wasn't really regular until about a year and a half ago when I was 19. I used to have quite variable gaps between (like 4-6 weeks) and sometimes pain, sometimes nothing. Oh year and then I missed two months (I was incredibly stressed out at that time though). They are clockwork now (always make me grumpy, weepy though, some things don't change!)

You might be like me and still waiting for them to settle down.
Reply 13
Original post by Andy98
Tried something like the Kegel8?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but I exercise quite a bit and it seems to have no effect on my period. It's still a ****ing bitch at the end of the day.
Reply 14
Original post by Airmed
No, but I exercise quite a bit and it seems to have no effect on my period. It's still a ****ing bitch at the end of the day.

Fair enough, was worth a shot I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a bit worried tbh, I'm almost 20 this year and I still haven't started. I went to see my doctor recently and he said it was normal and I should "Grow up."

The healthcare in this country is ridiculous.
i started my period when i was 13 and now im almost 19, my period is every five-six weeks and because of this im always really heavy and in so much pain.

I started when I was 13 too. My periods were very irregular, I even had 2 within the space of two weeks. They're always heavy, lasted about 9 days and my cramps were so bad that I couldn't get out of bed sometimes. I was eventually prescribed mefenamic acid tablets for it.

After 3 and a half years, I saw a doctor and was put on the pill. Things have been fine since - periods are about 4 days long, less heavy, less cramps, regular (always on the week off the pill) and I don't have any other problems, I've been on the pill for 3 years now and it's helped me loads. :smile:
Original post by Airmed

Exactly the same situation as me! Started at age 11, I'm now 19 and have yet to have a regular period. I tried the pill and I now have the implant, but no luck!
I started mine at 12 years old and my periods were like clockwork every month from day one, maybe a day or two late or early here and there but never missed any for month. I've been on the mini pill for the last 5 years and now I can go months without bleeding or bleed every month, depends. If you're not on the pill though and your periods are irregular then it might be worth getting checked over by the doctor but irregular periods can be common and even things like stress can delay a period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started when I was 13yo, and they've always been like clockwork. I've always known exactly when to expect it (as in, the actual time of day). I also know for how long/many days it'll last.
That never changed after I got the pill. Now I'm just lucky enough to be able to skip it a month if I'm travelling or something, and don't want the experience ruined by it.
Also: I hardly experience period cramps, and don't bleed a lot either.

Quick Reply

Latest