The Student Room Group

Superposition theorem with ideal current source

The circuit in question 3 has thevenins being applied to it. My first step was to put r1//r3 as one resistor. I then removed RL. I'm not sure if I include r13 in My r thevenin equation because it is not in an enclosed loop. How would the r thevenin be calculated

P_20160322_191237 shows my current work with the combined resistor
Original post by A.singh18
The circuit in question 3 has thevenins being applied to it. My first step was to put r1//r3 as one resistor. I then removed RL. I'm not sure if I include r13 in My r thevenin equation because it is not in an enclosed loop. How would the r thevenin be calculated

P_20160322_191237 shows my current work with the combined resistor

I can't really follow what you've described (it would be much better just to post your working rather than to talk about it) but you need to:

1. find RθR_\theta by replacing all current sources with open circuits, and all voltage sources with short circuits, then calculating the resistance as measured across the load terminals of that modified circuit

2. find VθV_\theta by analysing the unmodified circuit to compute the voltage across an open circuit load. In this case, you will be computing the voltage due to the current of 1.44 mA through a resistance of 33 || (27 + 12) k ohms.
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
I can't really follow what you've described (it would be much better just to post your working rather than to talk about it) but you need to:

1. find RθR_\theta by replacing all current sources with open circuits, and all voltage sources with short circuits, then calculating the resistance as measured across the load terminals of that modified circuit

2. find VθV_\theta by analysing the unmodified circuit to compute the voltage across an open circuit load. In this case, you will be computing the voltage due to the current of 1.44 mA through a resistance of 33 || (27 + 12) k ohms.

Thanks for the reply!

Here is my work for Rθ R_\theta

And wouldn't the total resistance be (33||12) +27 K ?

P_20160323_185052.jpg
Thanks for the reply!

eh?

You need to calculate RθR_{\theta} = (R1 + R2) || R3
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the reply!

No. I think that you are allowing the circuit diagram to confuse you as to what is in parallel with what. See uberteknik's answer above.

Also, I think my description of the calculation of the required voltage may confuse you, if you don't look at the circuit carefully. Across which resistor do you need to calculate the Thevenin voltage?
Reply 5
Original post by uberteknik
eh?

You need to calculate RθR_{\theta} = (R1 + R2) || R3

I really don't understand this. The way my diagram is it should be R1+R3 then || R2. Although the diagram I created is probably wrong if that is no the correct way to do this

No. I think that you are allowing the circuit diagram to confuse you as to what is in parallel with what. See uberteknik's answer above.

Also, I think my description of the calculation of the required voltage may confuse you, if you don't look at the circuit carefully. Across which resistor do you need to calculate the Thevenin voltage?

Voltage across R13 altering putting them in parallel
I really don't understand this. The way my diagram is it should be R1+R3 then || R2. Although the diagram I created is probably wrong if that is no the correct way to do this

No, from your diagram, the Thevenin resistance is as given by uberteknik. If this isn't clear, you probably need to revise serial and parallel resistance calculations.

Note the locations of the top and bottom ends of R_3 - what are they connected to?

Voltage across R13..

I guess you mean R_3 - yes, this is the resistance across which to calculate the Thevenin voltage.

.. altering putting them in parallel

This is meaningless, I'm afraid. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Quick Reply

Latest