The Student Room Group

Student finance - maintenance loan

Hi,

I recently got my student finance application confirmed.

It says that I'll be receiving £8,288 but everywhere I look it says you can get UP TO £8,200 (I'll be living away from home outside London - in Wales). Is my amount inaccurate and should I call to rectify this or is the amount exactly what I should be getting?

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Hi,

I recently got my student finance application confirmed.

It says that I'll be receiving £8,288 but everywhere I look it says you can get UP TO £8,200 (I'll be living away from home outside London - in Wales). Is my amount inaccurate and should I call to rectify this or is the amount exactly what I should be getting?

Thanks. :smile:

Do any of the following apply?
You might be able to get extra Maintenance Loan to help towards yourliving costs if any of the following apply while you’re on your course:
you’re a single parent or single foster parent of a child or youngperson under 20 who is in full-time education below highereducationlevel or on an approved training course;
you have a partner who is also a full-time student and one or bothof you is responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is infull-time education below higher-education level or on an approvedtraining course;
you have a disability and qualify for the Disability Living Allowance,Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium;
you qualify for Personal Independence Payment or Armed ForcesIndependence Payment;
you’re deaf and qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances;
you have been treated as incapable of work for a continuous periodof at least 28 weeks;
you have a disability and qualify for income-related Employmentand Support Allowance; or
you’re waiting to go back to a course having taken agreed time outfrom that course due to an illness or caring responsibility that hasnow ended.

If so then your maximum maintenance loan would be £10,702
Original post by PQ
Do any of the following apply?

If so then your maximum maintenance loan would be £10,702

None of those apply to me, and I won't be living in London so apparently the maximum I can get when I move away is up to £8,200. Just wondering where the extra £88 came from haha
None of those apply to me, and I won't be living in London so apparently the maximum I can get when I move away is up to £8,200. Just wondering where the extra £88 came from haha

Is your course longer than standard? I can't find anything in the blurb for this year but there used to be extra funding for weeks beyond the usual (it was ~£150 per week so that might have bumped up your maximum)
:s

If not I'd be tempted to make sure you put the extra to one side just incase it turns out is was an error and they demand immediate repayment.
Original post by PQ
Is your course longer than standard? I can't find anything in the blurb for this year but there used to be extra funding for weeks beyond the usual (it was ~£150 per week so that might have bumped up your maximum)
:s

If not I'd be tempted to make sure you put the extra to one side just incase it turns out is was an error and they demand immediate repayment.

I just gave them a call. They said that I've got an extra £88 because my course lasts for about a week or two longer than how long a normal course would last so they've added money to cover for me over this time. :smile: Thanks for your help!
I just gave them a call. They said that I've got an extra £88 because my course lasts for about a week or two longer than how long a normal course would last so they've added money to cover for me over this time. :smile: Thanks for your help!

Good to know - thanks for letting me know (as I say they seem to have removed all reference to this in the guidance)

Quick Reply

Latest