The Student Room Group

Big 4 ACA to IB analyst grad scheme

I've got a friend who's just qualifying with an ACA at a Big 4 firm. He's looking to get into IB so was going to apply to off cycle internships and hopefully join a grad scheme in m&a as an analyst
Is this possible?
Original post by LearnEconomics!
I've got a friend who's just qualifying with an ACA at a Big 4 firm. He's looking to get into IB so was going to apply to off cycle internships and hopefully join a grad scheme in m&a as an analyst
Is this possible?

Worth noting that he is qualifying from a school leaver program so is only 23 but doesn't have a degree
Is this possible?

Your bud should reach out to the corporate finance team at his Big4 firm. It's best to transfer into there so he could amass a bit of deal experience and boost his profile up a bit. If he does manage to make the switch, the next course of action would be to reach out to banking recruiters - a lot of them help place ACA qualifieds into Analyst 2-3 positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Your bud should reach out to the corporate finance team at his Big4 firm. It's best to transfer into there so he could amass a bit of deal experience and boost his profile up a bit. If he does manage to make the switch, the next course of action would be to reach out to banking recruiters - a lot of them help place ACA qualifieds into Analyst 2-3 positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that is his plan B if he doesn't get a off cycle internship.

So are you suggesting his idea to get an internship and convert it to a FT offer is out of reach or is it still possibles?
I think that is his plan B if he doesn't get a off cycle internship.

So are you suggesting his idea to get an internship and convert it to a FT offer is out of reach or is it still possibles?

It's possible, but I'm not sure if he'd be eligible for the off cycle internships.. Considering he's been presumably working for the past couple of years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's possible, but I'm not sure if he'd be eligible for the off cycle internships.. Considering he's been presumably working for the past couple of years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah he's been working for 5 years. I thought he would be in a good position as surely he is more prepared for work then a graduate
Yeah he's been working for 5 years. I thought he would be in a good position as surely he is more prepared for work then a graduate

But internship programs are targeted more at under(or post)grad/recent grads with little to no experience.. By all means, he should give it a shot but I'd put more stock into switching to CorpFin then reaching out to recruiters than the off-cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But internship programs are targeted more at under(or post)grad/recent grads with little to no experience.. By all means, he should give it a shot but I'd put more stock into switching to CorpFin then reaching out to recruiters than the off-cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So can he not apply to the internships as he's doesn't have an degree but does have ACA. If so seems a bit silly as ACA is more advanced than a degree.
So can he not apply to the internships as he's doesn't have an degree but does have ACA. If so seems a bit silly as ACA is more advanced than a degree.

Internships are designed for 'pre-experience' degree-level candidates; which, your friend doesn't fall into. You can call it silly but that's effectively what an internship is.

As I said, there's no harm in applying and he might be able to nab something but if it were me I'd be focusing more on a path that is more appropriate for someone at his stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply