The Student Room Group

Cant send passport away for evidence - Student Finance

One of the requirements to complete my Student Finance form 2016/217 is to send a form of evidence to prove identity. I have an issue sending my passport as it is expiring on the 25th of May 2016 and I have an appointment to renew it on the 5th of May. I am worried that if I send my passport away i won't be able to get my passport in time for renewal, i am aware that the processing of information takes at least 6 weeks.
Can i send a different type of evidence, such as a valid provisional license and a expired Spanish National Identity Card?
Original post by johnfrancis_j
One of the requirements to complete my Student Finance form 2016/217 is to send a form of evidence to prove identity. I have an issue sending my passport as it is expiring on the 25th of May 2016 and I have an appointment to renew it on the 5th of May. I am worried that if I send my passport away i won't be able to get my passport in time for renewal, i am aware that the processing of information takes at least 6 weeks.
Can i send a different type of evidence, such as a valid provisional license and a expired Spanish National Identity Card?

You're going to send your passport? very stupid.

There should be details of the things you can send on their website.

Ask Student Finance if they will accept a Certified Copy.

You take your passport to a solicitor, they photocopy it then stamp and sign the photocopy to say that it's a genuine copy of the original.
Original post by Dodgypirate
You're going to send your passport? very stupid.

There should be details of the things you can send on their website.

I do not own a British passport so they're asking me to send my original passport, can i just send in a physical copy instead, or a scanned file of my EU passport as i do need my original passport for renewal.
You can send a cerified copy. There is nothing in the guidance that says whether the passport has to have a minimum unexpired period left (perhaps someone in SFE can clarify that/ It just has to be valid.

[quote]What evidence do I need to send?If you’re applying for the first time you’ll need to send evidence of your identity. You can send your valid passport or national identity card.
When you send evidence it can be certified copies or original documents. A certified copy is a photocopy of an original document which has been stamped,signed and dated to confirm it’s a true copy of the original by a person of good standing in the community such as a minister of religion, doctor, lawyer, civil servant, teacher/lecturer or police officer. The person certifying the copy must not be a relative and must provide their name, job title, address and contact number.

If you know any of those people then they can certify it for you. some might require a fee or if its a fmaily friend they might do it for free.You also need to complete this form

http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/pl...HECKLIST_0.PDF

Your other suggestion if alternative evidence is a NO.
Original post by 999tigger
You can send a cerified copy. There is nothing in the guidance that says whether the passport has to have a minimum unexpired period left (perhaps someone in SFE can clarify that/ It just has to be valid.

What evidence do I need to send?If you’re applying for the first time you’ll need to send evidence of your identity. You can send your valid passport or national identity card.

If you know any of those people then they can certify it for you. some might require a fee or if its a fmaily friend they might do it for free.You also need to complete this form

http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/pl...HECKLIST_0.PDF

Your other suggestion if alternative evidence is a NO.

I called Student Finance, they told me that the only option available is to send my original passport, its a bit weird how i was asked to send off my original passport and the others just sent off certified copies and scanned passports.
[QUOTE="johnfrancis_j;63622293"]

I called Student Finance, they told me that the only option available is to send my original passport, its a bit weird how i was asked to send off my original passport and the others just sent off certified copies and scanned passports.

Then you were speaking to someone who doesnt understand their own rules in the guide for EU students. Ring them again and ask them to make sure from someone else. The quote I posted was from p6 of their guide for EU students 2015/16.

If certified copues werent accpetable then why would I link you a certified copy form?
Did you ask them about certified copies? I suspect you didnt. there are other options available to UK students like sending a birth certificate, but that isnt available to you. I would guess thats what thye meant. the rules say passport or national identity card.
[QUOTE="999tigger;63622413"]

Then you were speaking to someone who doesnt understand their own rules in the guide for EU students. Ring them again and ask them to make sure from someone else. The quote I posted was from p6 of their guide for EU students 2015/16.

If certified copues werent accpetable then why would I link you a certified copy form?

I couldn't access the link to the certified copy form, it says file not found.
I told if i was able to send a certified copy and she said the only option is to send the original passport, i am very confused. You are right i should ring them again maybe someone who understands my situation better.
Sorry

http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/NPIPG001/NPIPS001/NPIPS117/NPIPS124/EU%20CERTIFIER%20CHECKLIST_0.PDF

I am right. there is no need to be confused. Why does the form exist otherwise? Confirm with them though. I believe my answer is correct.
Reply 10

They don't keep passports for 6 weeks - they scan them and send them back straightaway. Mine came back 6 days after posting it.
Reply 11
[QUOTE="johnfrancis_j;63622903"]

I couldn't access the link to the certified copy form, it says file not found.
I told if i was able to send a certified copy and she said the only option is to send the original passport, i am very confused. You are right i should ring them again maybe someone who understands my situation better.

Hi @johnfrancis_j :smile: sorry I'm replying to your post just to ask you about how did you do at the end with the application for the student loan, did you really send the passport by post ? because that's what I'm asked to do as well, I know about the certified copy but when I called the SFE just to ask they told me that they need to have the original document.. so how was your experience with sending i, if I may ask.

thanks a lot !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending