The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Offer Holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M_xxx113
I'm retaking my A2's as my grades have been pretty abysmal due to extenuating circumstances so I was super suprised to recieve an offer from lse.
My offer letter came today and it states 'Note: Results must be from the first certification of your forthcoming qualifications, as indicated on your UCAS application' I'm really confused by what they mean. I'm retaking so my results won't be from first certification :/ and the fact that I'm a retake student was clearly stated on my UCAS form because I put last years grades down...does anyone know what they mean by this?

Don't worry. My son is also resitting a module and taking an A level in one year due to extenuating circumstances. He marginally missed his offer last year and has another offer this year. They're very aware that you're resitting.😀
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Cholesta
Don't worry. My son is also resitting a module and taking an A level in one year due to extenuating circumstances. He marginally missed his offer last year and has another offer this year. They're very aware that you're resitting.😀

Did your son also recieve the same thing on his offer letter?
And the thing with me is that I'm not just re-sitting certain modules, I'm retaking all the A2 modules in my 3 subjects..
Original post by M_xxx113
Did your son also recieve the same thing on his offer letter?
And the thing with me is that I'm not just re-sitting certain modules, I'm retaking all the A2 modules in my 3 subjects..

His letter was the same as last year but instead of A*AA it was A*A. Please don't worry, they know what they're doing.😀
Passfield and Carr-Saunders, which one is better? want to know before i make my choices :smile:
Reply 364
Is it possible to transfer from Economics and Economic History to Economics with Economic History in the first year?
Original post by skyaviator23
Passfield and Carr-Saunders, which one is better? want to know before i make my choices :smile:

Carr-Saunders sounds very friendly and sociable and I know a lot of the rooms are being refurbished.
Original post by se121
Is it possible to transfer from Economics and Economic History to Economics with Economic History in the first year?

No point in transferring in the first year because the course contents are identical but from what I know you can transfer in the second year on to Econ with Economic History.
Does a more expensive room mean it is bigger for the same type, ie two ensuite rooms but one is more expensive per week
Original post by AmarPatel98
Does a more expensive room mean it is bigger for the same type, ie two ensuite rooms but one is more expensive per week

Yes, but it can also be other factors. These usually involve placement within the building, e.g. near lifts or whether it has large windows, street facing windows etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamie S
I am enjoying my course, and I'll enjoy it even more in my second year when I have more choice over my direction.

Currently I am studying (lent term):

LSE100 - A module all first years do, to be honest it is a bit of pain
EC102 (Economics B) - Not too difficult and a lot of fun
GV101 (Political Science) - Very intuitive, a lot of reading but on interesting topics
GV100 (Political Theory) - Basically philosophy, my least enjoyable subjects but many people really enjoy the deep and important questions.
MA100 - More difficult than MA107 and had to ask my department for the switch to MA100. Very large workload and important not to fall behind! But I do enjoy maths in general.

The workload is huge!! It is manageable as long as you don't fall behind and there is still time to go out to clubs at least twice a week.

There is very little student support handed to you, but if you simply ask - your teachers will be willing to sit down 1 on 1 and talk through any problems you have in an "office hour'". The lecture quality varies greatly and put simply, the less quantitative the subject, the greater the lecture. Teaching quality is good and each teacher has a very different style, some will suit your needs better the others.

Re GV100: I gotta admit that I found it a very tough module to get into initially because it was so different from what I was used to at my school. Having said that, my teacher (Jens Olesen) was just brilliant and made the classes really enjoyable and thought-provoking. Some of my classmates found him very demanding and he certainly expected a lot from his students, but that's what made our classes even more rewarding. Shame that he is no longer at LSE but great for everyone now working with him privately. I bet he is an amazing private tutor.
Reply 370
Hey! Do you know if the new construction will affect a lot the LSE uni life?
Original post by Topo15
Law offer holder :smile:

Also, just curious, but is anyone from Scotland going down to the offer day on April 13?

We have a law group chat if you'd like to join ? :smile:
Reply 372
Original post by JodieHarriett18
We have a law group chat if you'd like to join ? :smile:

Sounds good - will I just PM you my facebook or whatever?
Original post by Topo15
Sounds good - will I just PM you my facebook or whatever?

Yeah sure
Reply 374
Any offer holder from B.Sc Management?
Original post by aardee
Any offer holder from B.Sc Management?

Yes :smile:
Are there any chats for L101 offer holders?
Does LSE look at the AS which is to be dropped? So if I get A*AA and a B or C in philosophy and ethics (the subject I'm dropping this year) will I be at a disadvantage with LSE? (For law)
Original post by RueXO
Does LSE look at the AS which is to be dropped? So if I get A*AA and a B or C in philosophy and ethics (the subject I'm dropping this year) will I be at a disadvantage with LSE? (For law)

Honestly just for all good universities, they will look at all information that they have about you. If there is a student that has the same predicted grades and a similar quality of personal statement, then that dropped AS could be the difference between an offer or not! Just do your best in everything you're undertaking. If you do only get the B you better write a damn good PS. Most applicants to LSE have really really good grades.
Original post by RueXO

I got AAAB at AS, dropped the B and got an offer for law at LSE. I would definitely suggest nothing lower than a B though, I was predicted 3A* as well if that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest