The Student Room Group

Help me decide which uni?!?!

Basically I want to do Nutrition and Food science. I have an offer from Reading and Leeds and I would love to go to Leeds because it seems like such a good university. The only thing that is putting me off is that fact that the course at Reading is accredited by the association for nutrition (AfN) whereas the course at Leeds isn't. Basically this accreditation is required by some nutritionist jobs but I don't know if that is what I would want to do, and I think I would be more interested in the product development side where you don't need to be accredited. Help???
Original post by senpaipoppy
Basically I want to do Nutrition and Food science. I have an offer from Reading and Leeds and I would love to go to Leeds because it seems like such a good university. The only thing that is putting me off is that fact that the course at Reading is accredited by the association for nutrition (AfN) whereas the course at Leeds isn't. Basically this accreditation is required by some nutritionist jobs but I don't know if that is what I would want to do, and I think I would be more interested in the product development side where you don't need to be accredited. Help???

If you think you don't need the accreditation then maybe leeds would be the best choice for you?
Is there a way to get accredited later if you decide you want to do something that needs it? Also which course is more interesting. Both unis are decent so I wouldn't decide purely on what is perceived a better uni.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Is there a way to get accredited later if you decide you want to do something that needs it? Also which course is more interesting. Both unis are decent so I wouldn't decide purely on what is perceived a better uni.

Yeah you can become accredited later. Basically when you go with a university who is accredited, you can go onto the voluntary register of nutritionists (the thing required for some nutritionist jobs) via direct entry. If it isn't accredited you can go via portfolio entry (which is where you have to provide evidence for each individual section), and if you meet all the criteria you become accredited. If you don't meet all the criteria then you can do extra reading, attend conferences etc. and reflect on what you learnt to attain the knowledge you missed out for accreditation. If you want to do a postgrad then you can also become accredited like that. Also if your job involves something that you missed out on for accreditation, you can use that as well.

Also, i'm not sure which course seems more interesting. I think the facilities at Reading may be slightly better, but some of the course modules at Leeds seem really interesting and I also love the fact at Leeds you can do discovery modules where you study a module each year from a completely different department (like business, chemistry etc. )
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
If you think you don't need the accreditation then maybe leeds would be the best choice for you?

I don't know! From what I can see, a lot of nutritionist jobs don't need you to be registered with the AfN and it seems a lot of them you need a masters anyway but I'm scared that's what I think and then it turns out that I was completely wrong and it is essential and I won't be able to find a job???
Yeah you can become accredited later. Basically when you go with a university who is accredited, you can go onto the voluntary register of nutritionists (the thing required for some nutritionist jobs) via direct entry. If it isn't accredited you can go via portfolio entry (which is where you have to provide evidence for each individual section), and if you meet all the criteria you become accredited. If you don't meet all the criteria then you can do extra reading, attend conferences etc. and reflect on what you learnt to attain the knowledge you missed out for accreditation. If you want to do a postgrad then you can also become accredited like that. Also if your job involves something that you missed out on for accreditation, you can use that as well.

Also, i'm not sure which course seems more interesting. I think the facilities at Reading may be slightly better, but some of the course modules at Leeds seem really interesting and I also love the fact at Leeds you can do discovery modules where you study a module each year from a completely different department (like business, chemistry etc. )

Sounds like you're unsure about what you want to do after (because you want to explore your options by doing discovery modules) and you can get accredited later so Leeds sounds like a better choice for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
Sounds like you're unsure about what you want to do after (because you want to explore your options by doing discovery modules) and you can get accredited later so Leeds sounds like a better choice for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do you think I should choose the uni that I prefer rather than the one I feel obliged to choose?
So do you think I should choose the uni that I prefer rather than the one I feel obliged to choose?

Definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending