Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham PGCE Offer Holders 2016-17

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SarahMH
Hi, Yeah Hild Bede is the closest to the school of education and the closest to gilesgate. All the social stuff for the uni is organised within Colleges so if you fancy going to formals or balls or things like that and want them to be close then Hild Bede is convenient. But no where in Durham isn't walking distance, max 25 minutes walk to pretty much anywhere. I'm currently at Van Mildert so don't know much about Hild Bede but if you look online you can find things, this is there website
https://www.dur.ac.uk/hild-bede/postgraduate/facilities/social_spaces/
but every college has drama groups and music groups and sport etc. There used to be, and maybe still is, a quiz online by durham university to help you figure out which college is best for you.
I'm not staying in college next year, I'm currently looking for a house.

Thanks for all that info Sarah! It's great talking to someone who is familiar with it all :smile: Do you already have housemates lined up?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Rach-AM
Thanks for all that info Sarah! It's great talking to someone who is familiar with it all :smile: Do you already have housemates lined up?

Yeah, i'm going to live with people I live with this year as they have places to do a masters here. But we are signing for a private halls called St Margarets
Has anyone else received their letter from Durham yet?

It mentions about 'developmental activities' the admissions tutor thought would benefit you but i cant see them? Also am i correct in thinking that the only things that you need are a clear DBS, pass your GCSE's, the health questionnaire and HSAE? The latter two being sent in an email shortly? I'm just panicking in case im missing something that i should be getting sorted now.
Original post by trickynicky87
Has anyone else received their letter from Durham yet?

It mentions about 'developmental activities' the admissions tutor thought would benefit you but i cant see them? Also am i correct in thinking that the only things that you need are a clear DBS, pass your GCSE's, the health questionnaire and HSAE? The latter two being sent in an email shortly? I'm just panicking in case im missing something that i should be getting sorted now.

No, I haven't received anything yet. I emailed them to ask but was told that we would receive notification when the freshers page was set up. I have received by DBS certificate back from the uni though. What is the HSAE? I am hoping that everything will come together by the end of March. Does anyone know about the arrangements for the 2 weeks of placement - do we arrange it independently. Duh - just realised HSAE. Sorry must refresh my caffeine intake.:blush:
Original post by thelmaandlouise
No, I haven't received anything yet. I emailed them to ask but was told that we would receive notification when the freshers page was set up. I have received by DBS certificate back from the uni though. What is the HSAE? I am hoping that everything will come together by the end of March. Does anyone know about the arrangements for the 2 weeks of placement - do we arrange it independently. Duh - just realised HSAE. Sorry must refresh my caffeine intake.:blush:

Hey Thelmaandlouise, the letter basically said what we already know, that we need to meet the conditions of the offer. It gave a lot of advice about the DBS and how to apply (like yourself mine is back already). The Home School Area Experience and the Health Questionnaire are to follow in another email shortly, so i'm assuming that will explain what we need to do. I think we may have to organise it ourselves but i'm sure they will give us direction on how to go about that.

I've been told by ex students to relax and enjoy the time off however with me being in school one day a week i'm trying to do as much as i can so i'm fully prepared and get the most out of the HSAE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rach-AM
Hi!

I have an offer for the PGCE Primary to start in Sept '16 and I'm just trying to find other people who are going to be doing a PGCE (Primary or Secondary) at Durham this year as well?

I'm also coming from Northern Ireland so I'm still trying to decide if it's better to live on or off campus or which college...:smile:

Hope we can chat about the lead up to the course, accommodations, colleges etc.

Hi, I'm from the North of Ireland myself. I'm going to do Secondary English, otherwise in the same boat. I've studied for my BA in Belfast so a bit lost with all of this
Reply 26
Original post by CáitínMas
Hi, I'm from the North of Ireland myself. I'm going to do Secondary English, otherwise in the same boat. I've studied for my BA in Belfast so a bit lost with all of this

Awh really? It's great to meet someone else coming from this part of the world. Where are you from? I'm up on the North Coast in Coleraine. It's a bit daunting working things out from a distance but I'd say once we're there we'll be grand :smile:

I've been accepted to Hild Bede college and have decided to live off campus but I'm still no closer to finding housemates or a house. If you fancy living off campus maybe we could try and find another couple of people? I think the FB groups for the PGCE just started today so might be a bit easier to find a few more people in the same boat!
Original post by Rach-AM
Hi!

I have an offer for the PGCE Primary to start in Sept '16 and I'm just trying to find other people who are going to be doing a PGCE (Primary or Secondary) at Durham this year as well?

I'm also coming from Northern Ireland so I'm still trying to decide if it's better to live on or off campus or which college...:smile:

Hey,
I'm also going to be studying the PGCE at Durham - Primary.

But i'm already in the North East. Plus I think I might of already said hello to you, in a group on FB. Regardless hello again, and to everyone else.

I've finally received some further information, and everything feels a lot more real :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Nat24
Hey,
I'm also going to be studying the PGCE at Durham - Primary.

But i'm already in the North East. Plus I think I might of already said hello to you, in a group on FB. Regardless hello again, and to everyone else.

I've finally received some further information, and everything feels a lot more real :smile:

Hey again :smile: Yeah I think we did!

I just got my email through today with all the extra info and the link to the fb group etc. Glad to finally have all the details but now the pressures on to find accommodation soon as it sounds like they want to get placements sorted out asap...eep. Once that's sorted I'll hopefully be able to start getting really excited about the course! You're lucky you're so close and don't have to worry too much about it.

Have you applied for your college membership yet?
Original post by Rach-AM
Hi!

Hi!

How are you?

I too have been accepted to Durham and I'm from N.I.

Have you applied for Queens or Coleraine?
Reply 30
Original post by Bethrik10
Hi!

How are you?

I too have been accepted to Durham and I'm from N.I.

Have you applied for Queens or Coleraine?

Hi! Great to meet another person from NI :smile:

I'm great! Got the email through the other day with all the details so just have the HASE to finish up and then all conditions are removed. Starting to worry a bit about finding accommodation but hopefully will be able to connect with a few people on here or on the fb group to team up with and share a house or flat. Are you going to stay on or off campus?

Unfortunately Queen's didn't offer Primary and I really liked the sound of Durham so I didn't apply for either of the courses at home. Have you?
Original post by Rach-AM
Hi! Great to meet another person from NI :smile:

I'm great! Got the email through the other day with all the details so just have the HASE to finish up and then all conditions are removed. Starting to worry a bit about finding accommodation but hopefully will be able to connect with a few people on here or on the fb group to team up with and share a house or flat. Are you going to stay on or off campus?

Unfortunately Queen's didn't offer Primary and I really liked the sound of Durham so I didn't apply for either of the courses at home. Have you?

Of course they don't, silly question on my part!!!

Yes, that's my problem. I have applied for Coleraine and Queens, with that said, I am not expecting good news. But until those letters arrive I have been holding off applying to a college in Durham and looking at accommodation etc. It's a bit of a mine field!

Ideally I would like to live on campus but it's so expensive.
Reply 32
Of course they don't, silly question on my part!!!

Yes, that's my problem. I have applied for Coleraine and Queens, with that said, I am not expecting good news. But until those letters arrive I have been holding off applying to a college in Durham and looking at accommodation etc. It's a bit of a mine field!

Ideally I would like to live on campus but it's so expensive.

I've heard that about Coleraine before. How long will you have to wait to find out?
Are you Primary as well or Secondary? That makes things a bit more difficult for you but I would say go ahead and apply for a college just in case, worst case scenario you can cancel it if you get good news from either of the two at home :smile:

I initially though about living on campus but it is so expensive and I've had a look online and there's a lot of lovely little houses in the nearby area that would be much more affordable with 1 or 2 other people. Plus it means you get your own space but can still go back to the colleges for the dinners/social events :smile:
Original post by Rach-AM
I've heard that about Coleraine before. How long will you have to wait to find out?
Are you Primary as well or Secondary? That makes things a bit more difficult for you but I would say go ahead and apply for a college just in case, worst case scenario you can cancel it if you get good news from either of the two at home :smile:

I initially though about living on campus but it is so expensive and I've had a look online and there's a lot of lovely little houses in the nearby area that would be much more affordable with 1 or 2 other people. Plus it means you get your own space but can still go back to the colleges for the dinners/social events :smile:

Which college did you go for? I am thinking Hilde.

Yes you are probably right, was just for security I was considering the on-site accommodation really.

Ps forgot to say, I'm secondary English and French

After an easy life :smile:
Reply 34
Which college did you go for? I am thinking Hilde.

Yes you are probably right, was just for security I was considering the on-site accommodation really.

Ps forgot to say, I'm secondary English and French

After an easy life :smile:

I've been accepted into Hild Bede :smile: It seems to have a great wee community and it's right beside the education building which is handy!

I think Durham and area seems pretty safe anyway so I think it'll be fine off campus and will be good to be able to save a bit of extra money on accommodation hopefully.

Those are two great subjects but I'm sure they'll keep you busy :smile: Are you still finishing your undergrad or are you already graduated? Meant to ask as well what part of NI are you from?
Original post by Rach-AM
I've been accepted into Hild Bede :smile: It seems to have a great wee community and it's right beside the education building which is handy!

I think Durham and area seems pretty safe anyway so I think it'll be fine off campus and will be good to be able to save a bit of extra money on accommodation hopefully.

Those are two great subjects but I'm sure they'll keep you busy :smile: Are you still finishing your undergrad or are you already graduated? Meant to ask as well what part of NI are you from?

Oh no, now I'm worried I will have missed the boat! I better apply later.

Yes definitely and Durham is the only uni willing to let me tackle both subjects. They were so warm and welcoming too.

I graduated in 2012! I'm living Lisburn Road at the moment but I'm from Lisburn. You?
Reply 36
Oh no, now I'm worried I will have missed the boat! I better apply later.

Yes definitely and Durham is the only uni willing to let me tackle both subjects. They were so warm and welcoming too.

I graduated in 2012! I'm living Lisburn Road at the moment but I'm from Lisburn. You?

I'd say you'll still be fine. Think you have a month from they send you the email invitation to apply but maybe get it in soonish just in case.

They really do seem so lovely there and the town itself (even the little that I saw of it when over for the interview) seems really charming.

I graduated in 2013. I actually used to live on the Lisburn Rd too, up until Sept but then moved back up home to Coleraine. Such a small world!!
Reply 37
Original post by Rach-AM
Hi!

Hiii! I've accepted a Secondary PGCE at Durham, I'm so excited!

I couldn't decide between living on/off campus either, but in the end I've gone for off campus.. Mainly because it was cheaper haha, but I will definitely be looking for housemtes if you still are :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by s_1806
Hiii! I've accepted a Secondary PGCE at Durham, I'm so excited!

I couldn't decide between living on/off campus either, but in the end I've gone for off campus.. Mainly because it was cheaper haha, but I will definitely be looking for housemtes if you still are :smile:

Hiya!! Awh that's so exciting :smile: What is your subject?

I think we've made the right decision choosing off campus even tho it is a bit scary until everything is all arranged. I think it will save us quite a bit of money too. I've found another girl from the Primary course but we're still looking for another house mate or two :smile: We're thinking of somewhere in the Gilesgate area?
Reply 39
Original post by Rach-AM
Hiya!! Awh that's so exciting :smile: What is your subject?

I think we've made the right decision choosing off campus even tho it is a bit scary until everything is all arranged. I think it will save us quite a bit of money too. I've found another girl from the Primary course but we're still looking for another house mate or two :smile: We're thinking of somewhere in the Gilesgate area?

My subjects English :smile: I've gotten so much more excited for September after seeing all the posts on here!

I know, living off campus will take a bit longer to sort out but I defs think it will be worth it :smile:.. Some of the houses round Gilesgate look lovely! Where abouts are you from/living atm?

Quick Reply

Latest