The Student Room Group

Do you take antidepressants ? What is your experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FireFreezer77
I'm also on 20mg Citalopram. Have you not experienced extreme tiredness (you're really lucky if not).
I haven't experienced the dreams before. Sounds rather intriguing.
It's good to hear you're also feeling better :smile:

Hmm, it's hard to tell because I've felt tired almost constantly for several years now. I have very little energy a lot of the time, but I don't think the Citalopram has caused it because I've been this way since before I started taking it. Feeling really tired is awful, I totally sympathise with you there! I'm really glad to hear you're feeling much better too :hugs:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hmm, it's hard to tell because I've felt tired almost constantly for several years now. I have very little energy a lot of the time, but I don't think the Citalopram has caused it because I've been this way since before I started taking it. Feeling really tired is awful, I totally sympathise with you there! I'm really glad to hear you're feeling much better too :hugs:

Totally get the feels about tiredness :yawn:

I'm in this awful cycle at the moment of being fine through the day mostly and then being literally exhausted when I get home from work, sleeping all evening til like 9.30-10pm and then not being able to sleep at night til like 2am. It's the worst. But not taking that nap is too hard. :emo:

Ah ok. Well that's not good. I have random bursts of energy at times (i love it when it happens). I get super hyper then I crash.
If I take Citalopram in the morning I'm struggling to stay awake at around 2-3pm (when I'm at college!) which is not good.
Do you know why you've been like that? (Apologies if it's personal).
I agree, it's not a nice feeling so I sympathise with you also.
Thanks. I'm glad to know you're feeling better too :hugs:
Ive been prescribed them to help with my anxiety.
They are really helping with it and there is a noticeable difference to what there was before.
My life is so much better now that I'm taking them.
However they do make me incredibly tired when I take them. If I take them in the morning (9am), I find myself struggling to stay awake at around 2-3pm. I'm now taking them at night to avoid that but it really sucked when that happened.
Overall my experience of using them is very positive. I don't know what I'd be like if I wasn't on them.

It's good that it's also helping you. It really sucks when we can't do things due to our mental health.

What sort of anxiety?
Ah ok. Well that's not good. I have random bursts of energy at times (i love it when it happens). I get super hyper then I crash.
If I take Citalopram in the morning I'm struggling to stay awake at around 2-3pm (when I'm at college!) which is not good.
Do you know why you've been like that? (Apologies if it's personal).
I agree, it's not a nice feeling so I sympathise with you also.
Thanks. I'm glad to know you're feeling better too :hugs:

I sometimes have bursts of energy too, in the evenings, but they are often short-lived. I'm not sure why I'm so tired all the time, I know it's nothing physical because I've had blood tests for anemia, thyroid issues etc and the results have shown I don't have any of those. The only thing left really is being tired because of my depression, which seems like the most likely reason to me
Original post by German123
What sort of anxiety?

OCD
I sometimes have bursts of energy too, in the evenings, but they are often short-lived. I'm not sure why I'm so tired all the time, I know it's nothing physical because I've had blood tests for anemia, thyroid issues etc and the results have shown I don't have any of those. The only thing left really is being tired because of my depression, which seems like the most likely reason to me

Ah right. Mine happen whenever really. Rather random isn't it (speaking of it I'm now having one, I think this one is from the music I'm listening to).
That would be understandable. From what I know, depression really takes it out of you (I don't have it myself so I'm not too familiar with it). It really sucks that you're tired all the time, it's really not a nice thing to be feeling all the time.
Hopefully things will get better for you soon!
I just finished my first month of Citalopram (10mg), which is a grand success given how wary I am of medication. I was warned by my GP that it might take 4-6 weeks for me to see the benefits of it so I'm really still waiting to see whether it helps me or not. At my follow up appointment I was given the option to increase my dose to 20mg or stay at 10mg for another month to see what happens. I opted to stick with 10mg because I want to see the full effects of this dose before I increase my dose. Because I've been dealing with anxiety for a number of years and I'm out of work/education because of it I don't have to rush to increase my dose - for once having no commitments/life feels like a luxury in that it gives me time to take it slow and see what works for me.

In terms of side effects I did feel a little tired for the first few days, but I started taking my tablet on a night (alongside the beta-blocker I take to manage migraines) and I've found that the tiredness (other than my usual anxious tiredness) isn't an issue any more. It's also easier for me to remember to take my medication on a night, so that's good. I had a weird side effect where my teeth were hurting when I was eating. I knew that my teeth were fine because I went to the dentist a week before I started taking the tablets so after a few days of being :confused: I decided to Google 'Citalopram tooth pain' and I got a lot of results. Apparently they can cause you to clench/grind your teeth during the night and that's what causes the pain. It was nothing unbearable and it went away within a few days. I have been having more memorable dreams but, to be honest, I view dreams as a free entertainment package so I'm okay with those.

To summarise: waiting for the good effects; not bothered by the few and mild side effects.

Whether this particular drug ends up helping me or not I do wish that I'd tried medication before now. My life has been completely turned upside down by anxiety for the past 7-8 years and if I hadn't had the fear of medication I could have tried an anti-depressant or two and found my life improved within the first one or two years of me beginning to struggle. I know they might not work, or be suitable, for everyone but knowing how many years have been taken from me by anxiety I think that anything (legal) is worth trying sooner rather than later.
I have just started taking 20mg Citalopram for anxiety and depression.

The first day I took it at about 6pm but I found it very difficult to sleep that night. So next day I took it at 10am and decided to stick with that even though today (third day) I feel extremely tired.

Also, I am going out tonight with friends for a casual pub catch up. I know you are not supposed to drink on them, I did ask my doctor and she said the odd glass of wine would be ok but it might make the antidepressant work in a less effective manner.

I can deal with that for one day but has anyone experienced horrible effects from having say one drink on an antidepressant (specifically Cit)?

Do you think I should wait two weeks before I have a drink as my doctor said in the first two weeks you may feel an increase in anxiety? I have another appointment booked for two weeks time so I'm slightly tempted to try one drink just so I can tell my doctor how it made me feel.

I have also heard you may feel drunk quicker or if you have one drink it will feel like you have had three. Again I don't mind this because it will make me drink less anyway but I don't want to have one drink, feel relaxed then the next morning feel terrible. I reckon I could skip alcohol altogether if I thought I would have an awful next few days.
Original post by mscaffrey
I just finished my first month of Citalopram (10mg), which is a grand success given how wary I am of medication. I was warned by my GP that it might take 4-6 weeks for me to see the benefits of it so I'm really still waiting to see whether it helps me or not. At my follow up appointment I was given the option to increase my dose to 20mg or stay at 10mg for another month to see what happens. I opted to stick with 10mg because I want to see the full effects of this dose before I increase my dose. Because I've been dealing with anxiety for a number of years and I'm out of work/education because of it I don't have to rush to increase my dose - for once having no commitments/life feels like a luxury in that it gives me time to take it slow and see what works for me.

I agree that it's wise to wait to increase until you work out exactly how a particular dose affects you. I remember when I was at my worst the psych wanted me to get to a dose of 60mg asap (fluoxetine) and I was like :afraid: and I sort of took the control to slow it down and get there at a reasonable pace. As it was, 40mg minimised most of my symptoms and thus I never went on 60- which is extremely high. You also do have the benefit of time and lack of life pressure to really get used to it.

In terms of side effects I did feel a little tired for the first few days, but I started taking my tablet on a night (alongside the beta-blocker I take to manage migraines) and I've found that the tiredness (other than my usual anxious tiredness) isn't an issue any more. It's also easier for me to remember to take my medication on a night, so that's good. I had a weird side effect where my teeth were hurting when I was eating. I knew that my teeth were fine because I went to the dentist a week before I started taking the tablets so after a few days of being :confused: I decided to Google 'Citalopram tooth pain' and I got a lot of results. Apparently they can cause you to clench/grind your teeth during the night and that's what causes the pain. It was nothing unbearable and it went away within a few days. I have been having more memorable dreams but, to be honest, I view dreams as a free entertainment package so I'm okay with those.

Yes the teeth grinding is real. I didn't have it the last time I went on but the first time my god, and it's really painful. My dreams are insane and still are. But I agree it is sort of a free entertainment package in a way and a real creativity stimulant. Some of the dreams I have are from a while into my past and sometimes I think the meds are sorting out sort of unfinished **** in your subconscious.

To summarise: waiting for the good effects; not bothered by the few and mild side effects.

Whether this particular drug ends up helping me or not I do wish that I'd tried medication before now. My life has been completely turned upside down by anxiety for the past 7-8 years and if I hadn't had the fear of medication I could have tried an anti-depressant or two and found my life improved within the first one or two years of me beginning to struggle. I know they might not work, or be suitable, for everyone but knowing how many years have been taken from me by anxiety I think that anything (legal) is worth trying sooner rather than later.

Yes completely agree. I hope that you begin to feel the effects and start to get the feeling of liberation you have when all of a sudden you feel better.

My anxiety has been helped primarily by antidepressants but also this book I read by Paul David called 'at last a life' really resonated with me - check it out.
Original post by Ethereal World
I agree that it's wise to wait to increase until you work out exactly how a particular dose affects you. I remember when I was at my worst the psych wanted me to get to a dose of 60mg asap (fluoxetine) and I was like :afraid: and I sort of took the control to slow it down and get there at a reasonable pace. As it was, 40mg minimised most of my symptoms and thus I never went on 60- which is extremely high. You also do have the benefit of time and lack of life pressure to really get used to it.

Yes the teeth grinding is real. I didn't have it the last time I went on but the first time my god, and it's really painful. My dreams are insane and still are. But I agree it is sort of a free entertainment package in a way and a real creativity stimulant. Some of the dreams I have are from a while into my past and sometimes I think the meds are sorting out sort of unfinished **** in your subconscious.

Yes completely agree. I hope that you begin to feel the effects and start to get the feeling of liberation you have when all of a sudden you feel better.

My anxiety has been helped primarily by antidepressants but also this book I read by Paul David called 'at last a life' really resonated with me - check it out.

I had a dream the other night where I was smoking illegal **** and that's so far away from my life. I find a glass of cola way too stimulating and I've been known to faint around cigarette smoke. I've also had the dreams involving things from way back, and I agree that it's probably the AD sweeping things out. Weirdly, I also have dreams about the past when I do a lot of Sudoku.

I'll take a look at that book - thanks for the recommendation!
I'm on like the smallest dose.

I still worry about the same things but at a base level I just feel a bit better. I actually feel a bit happier. I have also lost a lot of desire to drink as well which is probably a good thing.

I also think their is a placebo effect as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can anyone help re my question about drinking? I would have posted a new thread but most people on here say they are taking Citalopram anyway..
I've been on Citalopram for 6 weeks now. I wasn't really aware that I was depressed, I was going to my GP for some of the physical symptoms and after exhausting physiological causes they recommended trying the anti depressants for a month on a low dose. I'm now on a higher dose and I'm finding I have a much better outlook on life, I've now got the energy (and motivation) to get out of bed and go for a walk in the morning and I'm being less hard on myself.

I don't like the idea of being dependent on them to function normally, so I'm sort of thinking of them as stabilizers for a while so that I can sort my life out a bit and hopefully get to the point where I don't need them.
Original post by flutterby-x303
Can anyone help re my question about drinking? I would have posted a new thread but most people on here say they are taking Citalopram anyway..

I wish I could help but I never drank more than a glass of cider before I was on medication and now I'm on medication I don't drink at all really. I had about 2cms of wine at the weekend because I wanted to try a bottle my mum had been given but that made me panic a little just because I was so scared of even a small amount interacting with my meds (I'm on a high dose of beta-blockers alongside my Citalopram and you shouldn't drink on that dose of beta-blockers at all). If I was to have a proper drink while on just the Citalopram I'd stick to one or two but make sure to drink lots of water alongside the alcohol to try and dilute it and minimise after-effects. Obviously I'm not medically trained, so I think your best bet is to call a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for advice - they usually know a lot about interactions and will be able to give you some meaningful advice.

I can't find your thread so this might not answer your question exactly but here it goes.

Alcohol and Citalopram are safe to mix (but try not to binge), though I've found that I get drunk more quickly since taking it. Some people also say that it makes them very sleepy. Its not advised to take both at the same time because it can enhance the side effects (especially if you need to drive / operate machinery). I tend to take it the morning after a night out, and even still being a little drunk don't experience anything too severe.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dean01234
I can't find your thread so this might not answer your question exactly but here it goes.

Alcohol and Citalopram are safe to mix (but try not to binge), though I've found that I get drunk more quickly since taking it. Some people also say that it makes them very sleepy. Its not advised to take both at the same time because it can enhance the side effects (especially if you need to drive / operate machinery). I tend to take it the morning after a night out, and even still being a little drunk don't experience anything too severe.

Ok thank you! I didn't post a thread I just did a long question several posts up! I will see how I feel tonight. Most of the time I drink to relax me (because I suffer from anxiety) and because the antidepressants haven't fully kicked in yet I'm feeling quite on edge today - probably not helped by the amount of caffeine I have had either.

If I feel the need I might have a single vodka cranberry and a glass of water. I will certainly not be binging.
Ok thank you! I didn't post a thread I just did a long question several posts up! I will see how I feel tonight. Most of the time I drink to relax me (because I suffer from anxiety) and because the antidepressants haven't fully kicked in yet I'm feeling quite on edge today - probably not helped by the amount of caffeine I have had either.

If I feel the need I might have a single vodka cranberry and a glass of water. I will certainly not be binging.

Ahh sorry, I missed that. One drink will be fine, it will probably be out of your system by the time it comes to taking your pills anyway. If you do end up drinking more (either tonight or in the future) just try to leave some time in between drinks.
I have just started taking 20mg Citalopram for anxiety and depression.

The first day I took it at about 6pm but I found it very difficult to sleep that night. So next day I took it at 10am and decided to stick with that even though today (third day) I feel extremely tired.

Also, I am going out tonight with friends for a casual pub catch up. I know you are not supposed to drink on them, I did ask my doctor and she said the odd glass of wine would be ok but it might make the antidepressant work in a less effective manner.

I can deal with that for one day but has anyone experienced horrible effects from having say one drink on an antidepressant (specifically Cit)?

Do you think I should wait two weeks before I have a drink as my doctor said in the first two weeks you may feel an increase in anxiety? I have another appointment booked for two weeks time so I'm slightly tempted to try one drink just so I can tell my doctor how it made me feel.

I have also heard you may feel drunk quicker or if you have one drink it will feel like you have had three. Again I don't mind this because it will make me drink less anyway but I don't want to have one drink, feel relaxed then the next morning feel terrible. I reckon I could skip alcohol altogether if I thought I would have an awful next few days.

Original post by dean01234

It is generally fine to drink on them. The reason (dean) you may be getting drunk more quickly on them is because most antidepressants are metabolised by the liver, which as you probably know metabolises alcohol as well. When alcohol is consumed while on an antidepressant, the breakdown of either the medication and/or the alcohol can be affected.

Alcohol is also a depressant so it’s kind of antagonistic to be taking an antidepressant and then drinking.

Overall I drink now and again and don’t find it to be too much of a problem although my hangovers are literally horrific and I find my depression relapses as well so it’s really not worth it for me which is why I generally don’t drink all that much and certainly don’t drink to extremes or get absolutely battered.

As a side note (not that I ever have both on and off ADs) but do not take MDMA/ecstasy whilst on an SSRI as this is directly going to affect the serotonin system in your brain.

Also do not take 5-HTP. I did this once whilst on ADs and ended up with Serotonin Syndrome- not pretty.
Original post by Ethereal World
It is generally fine to drink on them. The reason (dean) you may be getting drunk more quickly on them is because most antidepressants are metabolised by the liver, which as you probably know metabolises alcohol as well. When alcohol is consumed while on an antidepressant, the breakdown of either the medication and/or the alcohol can be affected.

As a side note (not that I ever have both on and off ADs) but do not take MDMA/ecstasy whilst on an SSRI as this is directly going to affect the serotonin system in your brain.

Also do not take 5-HTP. I did this once whilst on ADs and ended up with Serotonin Syndrome- not pretty.

Interesting, I was actually quite surprised at the difference they could make given how small they are.

Its actually a very important side note, SSRIs are not only dangerous mixed with MDMA but they also prevent (or severely inhibit) your bodies ability to get high from it. Just generally a stupid combination.

Quick Reply

Latest