The Student Room Group

Can we finally agree the Premier league isn't the best now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moggis
I refer you to my previous post.

A bet on any single horse race is still more exciting than that.
Which teams are people referring to when alluding to La Liga being a two horse race? I genuinely don't know.
Original post by moggis
Ah.But you have conveniently forgotten about the sheer drama of the relegation battles.

One of the main reasons the Premiership is so brilliant is because being relegated can be disastrous for many clubs.

Hence there is often more drama at the bottom than at the top.

Ironically ,this season the relegation battle has been very much a damp squib.

Agree with everything you've said but you've written the relegation battle off prematurely there. Yes it's only 2 from 3 now but the battle only really kicked off in earnest last weekend. Norwich to play Newcastle and Sunderland at home in the next few weeks. We're only just getting started.

And the potential for the last round of fixtures is just :coma:

Newcastle v Tottenham
Watford v Sunderland
Everton v Norwich
I don't think you can make a concrete case for any league tbh, which makes this all a bit pointless. Plus it all goes in cycles anyway. 10 years ago the Premier League was more like La Liga is now. We had a very defined top 4 that would smash the bottom half teams every week for fun, and all do well in Europe. It depends what you prefer. The top 4 teams from that era are a miss for sure but this years been more exciting because of their decline.
Reply 44
Original post by TheMagicRat
No there wasn't. Two or three teams doing well in a competition doesn't prove anything other than the fact that those two or three teams are good. It gives you no information about the league they compete in.

I don't think I disagreed with that?
Reply 45
Original post by scriggy
I don't think you can make a concrete case for any league tbh, which makes this all a bit pointless. Plus it all goes in cycles anyway. 10 years ago the Premier League was more like La Liga is now. We had a very defined top 4 that would smash the bottom half teams every week for fun, and all do well in Europe. It depends what you prefer. The top 4 teams from that era are a miss for sure but this years been more exciting because of their decline.

I agree to an extent but for how you can judge this things, with the only types of information we have, The Premier league is very poor considering its riches
Reply 46
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Most football games are ****ing boring now.

Premier league may be the most entertaining, but apart from that and being more unpredictable, it has nothing else going for it.

Yes, unpredictability offer some excitement but the quality is depressingly poor.
Reply 47
Original post by Mancini
Just because the top teams are having a bad season does not mean they are getting worse, at the end of the day there can only be a certain amount of great players at one time. Perhaps the premier league has already peaked at this point but I think the premier league within the last decade had the strongest top four teams and league anywhere.

It's hard to create a model for success when many teams have copied it and this makes it harder for even the top teams to win.

No one has "Copied" us. La Liga has been the best league in the world for the last 15+ years. For a couple of seasons we had a good run at it but the last 5 have been appalling.
Reply 48
Premier league is failing that's why all the best players go to La Liga like CR7, Bale, Modric, Suarez etc
Reply 49
Original post by al_94
Premier league is failing that's why all the best players go to La Liga like CR7, Bale, Modric, Suarez etc

I'm not sure that means it is failing but it certainly proves, along with other evidence, that La Liga is a much stronger league.
Reply 50
Original post by Damien96
No one has "Copied" us. La Liga has been the best league in the world for the last 15+ years. For a couple of seasons we had a good run at it but the last 5 have been appalling.

When I say copied I was referring to clubs copying clubs in terms of how to win games/ leagues within the premier league not leagues copying leagues. I think it's highly questionable your claim of la liga being the best league in the world for the past 15 yrs when it's so one sided. Looking at the 15 yr record of la liga champions it seems to be a very big two horse race.
Reply 51
Original post by Mancini
When I say copied I was referring to clubs copying clubs in terms of how to win games/ leagues within the premier league not leagues copying leagues. I think it's highly questionable your claim of la liga being the best league in the world for the past 15 yrs when it's so one sided. Looking at the 15 yr record of la liga champions it seems to be a very big two horse race.

Ah, apologies.

Well a two team league but then again Athletico have won it too, in the last 10 years there hasn't been so much diversity of winners here either. Maybe 3 as well? 4 counting this year of course.

Their success in the CL suggests they are far superior to all teams, not just Psanish though. The way they have taken apart Premiership teams over that period is further evidence.
Well if today's news are anything to go by... Brexit would mean half of all Premier League players leaving due to becoming ineligible for work permits (unless the rules change). The effect is minimal on the top half clubs while the bottom half could see mass player exoduses.
And thus a much poorer league? Because the likes of Spurs are thumping the likes of Palace every season?
That explains why so many players dream of playing in the premier league :colonhash: there is a reason why BPL sides get so much money for TV licenses. We have by far, the best league pyramid, you can't even deny it
Original post by BrianMcEgg
That explains why so many players dream of playing in the premier league :colonhash: there is a reason why BPL sides get so much money for TV licenses. We have by far, the best league pyramid, you can't even deny it

Yeah, mediocre players. Genuine world class players dream of playing for Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern who funnily enough aren't in the PL.

And the reason they get so much money for TV licences is because of the Asian audiences.

Not really, the CL was largely just Real until Barcelona got Ronaldinho in 2003, and then Madrid were poor in the CL for most of the following ten years until they got Ancelotti. The Prem was on top for the 2000's. This decade, the Spanish have been dominating of course
Reply 56
I'm not sure that means it is failing but it certainly proves, along with other evidence, that La Liga is a much stronger league.

No it doesn't!

Look,I've been a Spurs fan since I was 8.

But if I was blessed with almighty talent do you think I'd wanna play for Spurs?

Or ******* Man City?

No!

I'd wanna play for Barca or Real.

And I surely dont need to explain why do I ?
Reply 57
Oh and re my last post,I wasn't even thinking about the differences in lifestyle between living in Britain and living in Spain.

I mean Jesus Christ who in their right mind * would choose to live in ******* Britain over Spain if they could get work of equal renumeration and have enough money to pay for the best health care should that be an issue?

Britain is full of ugly,ugly towns and cities,it has a drinking culture,which wouldn't be so bad if drink brought out the friendly side of people like it does with other cultures but instead it brings out the underlying aggressiveness of many English people, it has poor weather,overcrowded roads and less attractive women,it has to be said, than other countries.

In Spain children go out with their parents at midnight.Midnight!

There's is little of the threat of violence you get in almost every town in Britain on a weekend night,the culture is so much more laid back than here and the overall atmosphere is just more enjoyable no matter what age you may be.

*actually I'm lucky enough to have a choice of living anywhere in Europe but choose here because I love the weather, I get on with immigrants especially Poles,unattractive women are more likely to sleep with me and I rather like living in ********

So I'm quite possibly not in my right mind:frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Diego Costa
Not really, the CL was largely just Real until Barcelona got Ronaldinho in 2003, and then Madrid were poor in the CL for most of the following ten years until they got Ancelotti. The Prem was on top for the 2000's. This decade, the Spanish have been dominating of course

On top winning a grand total of 2 titles, one of which was the biggest fluke in the history of the competition.
On top winning a grand total of 2 titles, one of which was the biggest fluke in the history of the competition.

Lol at you showing your ignorance at calling Istanbul a fluke. I could call Barcelona's '06 win a fluke going by your logic of "'cos they came from behind they shouldn't of won". We could look at the terrible refereeing in 2009 that enabled Barcelona's CL win.

Once Real and Valencia had tailed off at the start off the 2000's. The English clubs were on top. Barcelona and Milan were among them, but it's daft for you to say the PL wasn't the strongest league in the 2000's.

Quick Reply

Latest