The Student Room Group

I am a Schizophrenic ask me anything AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thomb
My life will never be the same since my first psychotic episode. Being schizophrenic is something that possesses you no one would like to posses it for it is a worthless thing (detestable). I'm sure it is unprofessional to say he is schizophrenic but its not like I'm saying I am schizophrenic just that I am a schizophrenic tbh its just technicality. You have made me think though and perhaps its a little naive to say I am a schizophrenic yet really I am but its not as severe as saying I am schizophrenia.

If I was talking to someone and said you are a schizophrenic I wouldn't complain but saying I am a schizophrenic seems to be a problem?

I do agree with you, a psychotic episode and subsequent diagnosis of a mental illness is life changing. I am diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder myself and my first episode, detention under the mha, diagnosis and so on has influenced my life to an extent. Sorry, I wasn't saying its a problem at all! People make sense of their troubles in their own ways and whatever helps is fine, I was just curious as I don't see many people refer to it in the way you did anymore, but that may be the people I know and work with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by bullettheory
I do agree with you, a psychotic episode and subsequent diagnosis of a mental illness is life changing. I am diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder myself and my first episode, detention under the mha, diagnosis and so on has influenced my life to an extent. Sorry, I wasn't saying its a problem at all! People make sense of their troubles in their own ways and whatever helps is fine, I was just curious as I don't see many people refer to it in the way you did anymore, but that may be the people I know and work with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not a particularly of the now person I am out of the social loop so to speak and don't keep up with current practice I'm a recluse basically. :angry:
Original post by Thomb
I'm not a particularly of the now person I am out of the social loop so to speak and don't keep up with current practice I'm a recluse basically. :angry:

Tbh even people who should be in the loop (mental health professionals) often use old terminology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Tbh even people who should be in the loop (mental health professionals) often use old terminology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever been sectioned? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Thomb
Have you ever been sectioned?

Yeah I've been sectioned twice under s2 but also quite a few more s136. Been in hospital about 10 times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Yeah I've been sectioned twice under s2 but also quite a few more s136. Been in hospital about 10 times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really suffer from a lack of motivation I'm always flat. What keeps you motivated?
Original post by Thomb
I really suffer from a lack of motivation I'm always flat. What keeps you motivated?

I used to have that problem a lot but I find now, I am much better. I am at university at the moment and also am on a placement (although just about to finish that), and the purpose I've found from that really keeps me going through the tough times and also just on a general day to day basis. I've found something I really enjoy in social work and I feel like I make a difference to people's lives.

On a more basic level, I always try to get up at the same time everyday, always get dressed as if I am going out, have a shower etc. And try to give myself little tasks to do everyday.

Volunteering really helped me, just a few hours a week gave me purpose. Maybe start with something small, and see where it takes you. Is there anything you are interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I used to have that problem a lot but I find now, I am much better. I am at university at the moment and also am on a placement (although just about to finish that), and the purpose I've found from that really keeps me going through the tough times and also just on a general day to day basis. I've found something I really enjoy in social work and I feel like I make a difference to people's lives.

On a more basic level, I always try to get up at the same time everyday, always get dressed as if I am going out, have a shower etc. And try to give myself little tasks to do everyday.

Volunteering really helped me, just a few hours a week gave me purpose. Maybe start with something small, and see where it takes you. Is there anything you are interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My sister is really keen on me having a routine. She got me to volunteer but I keep missing it. I'm into history of art and enrolled on a course but just find it hard to get it together.
As a schizophrenic, I find it difficult to have any friends
Original post by MakeWay
Still retarded.

You're so special; here, have some attention! :grin:

To the OP, I have no questions per se, but this is an interesting read, for sure!
Reply 30
Original post by Freudian Slip
You're so special; here, have some attention! :grin:

To the OP, I have no questions per se, but this is an interesting read, for sure!

Thanks if you want you can read my blog
Original post by Thomb
Thanks if you want you can read my blog

I would love to!

Please PM me a link if you're not comfortable posting it here. :grin:
Reply 32
Original post by Freudian Slip
I would love to!

Please PM me a link if you're not comfortable posting it here. :grin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3968961
Reply 33
Original post by Jamie Price
As a schizophrenic, I find it difficult to have any friends

I know what you mean but you can have friends on here I know its not the same. Do you have a Mind society thingie in your town/city they're good for meeting people.
Original post by Thomb
My sister is really keen on me having a routine. She got me to volunteer but I keep missing it. I'm into history of art and enrolled on a course but just find it hard to get it together.

It really helped me. Do the college/place of education know about your mental health? Once my uni knew, I got a lot of support.
As a new member who has lurked on Tsr for a few months now, I imagine an asian version of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltMeuPkWRs
Original post by Thomb
It is unfortunately a life long illness.
I am fairly reclusive and live in a remote area of Wales I don't have many friends it does get in the way somewhat.

Its just as difficult to explain as I've forgotten most of my episodes of severe psychosis when I was in hospital its something you just naturally blank out.

I also have this disease, and i beg to differ with this prognosis.

I have been getting better over these past five years, and this has enabled me to successfully come to the near completion of my degree.

I guess everybody is different, and it's important not to stigmatise! or label
Have you ever talked to yourself? When did they diagnose you as a schizophrenic.
Reply 38
Original post by john2054
I also have this disease, and i beg to differ with this prognosis.

I have been getting better over these past five years, and this has enabled me to successfully come to the near completion of my degree.

I guess everybody is different, and it's important not to stigmatise! or label

I've got better but I've just seen it as the symptoms changing over time.I still think of myself as schizophrenic even though it's a label I would prefer to avoid I do see myself as being able to change it ever. :erm:
Reply 39
Original post by karl pilkington
Have you ever talked to yourself? When did they diagnose you as a schizophrenic.

I talk to myself all the time I see it as a way to stimulate the mind to do things it wouldn't otherwise have the support to do. If you mean the rambling conversation with myself that is not a condition I find myself in.

I was diagnosed on my second admission into hospital.

Quick Reply