The Student Room Group

Old english woman muttered loudly 'bloody muslim, get out' as she walked past me

I tried telling her i wasnt a muslim but she didnt seem interested

i do worry for society

Scroll to see replies

Sigh….
I would laugh at the absurd hilarity of that statement if it weren't so tragically bigoted.

What do you think made her think you're a Muslim?
Reply 3
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I would laugh at the absurd hilarity of that statement if it weren't so tragically bigoted.

What do you think made her think you're a Muslim?

im brown skinned ( hindu) , havent shaved for a couple of days. but thats about all i can think of

i didnt feel comfortable arguing the case with an old lady in the street though
This definitely happened...
Is it because you're brown? If so it's partly due to certain people on the left turning Islam into a racial thing. Because they often equate Islamophobia with racism, some people have got mixed up and think that Muslims = brown people.
Reply 6
Original post by richpanda
This definitely happened...
yes it did, as 'outlandish' as it might sound to you. im fairly sure its happened to other people too
Original post by Chakede
im brown skinned ( hindu) , havent shaved for a couple of days. but thats about all i can think of

i didnt feel comfortable arguing the case with an old lady in the street though

Shouldn't have to, there isn't anything wrong with being a Muslim, I shouldn't even have to spell that out. I'm not religious but I'd have whispered God is Great, or Allahu Akhtar, just to ruin her day even more. :u:
Original post by Chakede
yes it did, as 'outlandish' as it might sound to you. im fairly sure its happened to other people too

Although it's racist to just call you a Muslim, I can see why people are saying stuff like that, due to the current crisis and recent attacks.
Reply 9
Where did this happen?
Reply 10
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Shouldn't have to, there isn't anything wrong with being a Muslim, I shouldn't even have to spell that out. I'm not religious but I'd have whispered God is Great, or Allahu Akhtar, just to ruin her day even more. :u:

*Akbar
Original post by richpanda
Although it's racist to just call you a Muslim, I can see why people are saying stuff like that, due to the current crisis and recent attacks.

Hold on calling someone a Muslim is now racist!!

I can understand being called a Muslim when you aren't one may be uncomfortable for some but really it's not racist (bigoted yes but not racist)

People really need to stop making up their own definitions of words
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by al_94
Where did this happen?

in surrey
Try to ignore the older generation they have seen their country change beyond recognition after all. Their fathers were probably officers or colonial administrators in India now they feel they are being colonised by Browns rather than vice versa
Original post by mkap
*Akbar
:lol:

I've been tempted to do this before, just because I like ruining people's day sometimes. Especially when they're suffering with chronic plebitis.

Though I've never been mistaken for a Muslim - a Jew, yes, loads of times (not surprising, though, since I'm of Jewish ancestry).
And you so called progressives said I was a "disgrace" for suggesting Muslims and Islam were the real victims of the attacks. My point has been proven.

Muslims need full protection from the law and all attacks on Islam must come with a prison sentence swiftly
Reply 16
Original post by KingBradly
Is it because you're brown? If so it's partly due to certain people on the left turning Islam into a racial thing. Because they often equate Islamophobia with racism, some people have got mixed up and think that Muslims = brown people.
yes i assume because i happen to be brown - i doubt this old woman has the wherewithall to understand the history of religious origins of asia
That being said , its not on for some bigoted old bag to make snide little comments like this to muslim or non muslim
Original post by Chakede
yes i assume because i happen to be brown - i doubt this old woman has the wherewithall to understand the history of religious origins of asia
That being said , its not on for some bigoted old bag to make snide little comments like this to muslim or non muslim

Of course not, people should mind their own business.
Reply 18
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

? shoaib akthar?
Original post by Arsenal96123
And you so called progressives said I was a "disgrace" for suggesting Muslims and Islam were the real victims of the attacks. My point has been proven.

Muslims need full protection from the law and all attacks on Islam must come with a prison sentence swiftly

No Muslims were not the victims Muslims were though the perpetrators

Islam needs to be attacked at every opportunity and loudly and without mercy and thank your god I live in a country where I am free to do this.

But using Islamic terrorist attacks on western targets as a rallying call for blasphemy laws again Islam, is as you have already been told, a 'disgrace'
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending