The Student Room Group

Would a laptop be useful for Maths at uni?

I am going to be studying Maths at Uni (starting in September/October) but I am not sure whether I should invest in a laptop. I've got an iPad but I don't know if a laptop is needed or is useful for Maths. There are obviously other uses to it as well but I just want to know if it would be useful for the course I am going to studying.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by onur_m
I am going to be studying Maths at Uni (starting in September/October) but I am not sure whether I should invest in a laptop. I've got an iPad but I don't know if a laptop is needed or is useful for Maths. There are obviously other uses to it as well but I just want to know if it would be useful for the course I am going to studying.

Thanks!

Yes get a laptop, with microsoft office and a dvd drive (not a glorified notebook, they are masquerading as laptops)!!
Reply 2
Original post by john2054
Yes get a laptop, with microsoft office and a dvd drive (not a glorified notebook, they are masquerading as laptops)!!

Thanks, I won't get a notebook haha. What about a MacBook?
Reply 3
Original post by onur_m
Thanks, I won't get a notebook haha. What about a MacBook?

I've never had a mac, because they cost something like ten times the price of a normal pc. I like acers myself. Spend about £350 and get a good one from pc world?
Reply 4
I've never had a mac, because they cost something like ten times the price of a normal pc. I like acers myself. Spend about £350 and get a good one from pc world?

Yh I would have to look at it but I have been interested in a MacBook. What are the specific uses of it for maths?
Reply 5
Original post by onur_m
Yh I would have to look at it but I have been interested in a MacBook. What are the specific uses of it for maths?

as i said i have absolutely no idea, because i have never had one.
Original post by onur_m

May want to check your course specifics

Some courses have a MATLAB/LaTeX module which involves programming on a computer to output results and solve problems

Edit: If this is in reference to a MacBook (current user), other than the machine coming with a free graph sketching software called grapher I can't find a discernible advantage. There is less compatibility compared with windows.
(edited 8 years ago)
look at what software you are using, laptops are for productivity. Talk to people on your course to see what packages they use.
Reply 8
as i said i have absolutely no idea, because i have never had one.

I meant the use of a laptop for maths?
Reply 9
Original post by onur_m
I meant the use of a laptop for maths?

yes get one, as i already said.
A laptop or desktop would be very useful. Not strictly necessary but it's much easier to have one available than having to go into uni to use a computer.
Original post by onur_m

Thanks!

A laptop or tablet or something for uni itself is a must. (Everyone I know has at least a laptop :tongue:, but I'm sure you can get by with just library computers if needs be).

For lectures.. a tablet might be useful but a laptop, not really unless you don't have a tablet but want to access notes/powerpoints online.

For most of my modules I have printed notes and scribble/annotate like that. Ones that involve powerpoints, I don't use anything - just make notes on paper and look over the powerpoints at home/in the library.
Reply 12
Original post by Euclidean
May want to check your course specifics

Some courses have a MATLAB/LaTeX module which involves programming on a computer to output results and solve problems

Edit: If this is in reference to a MacBook (current user), other than the machine coming with a free graph sketching software called grapher I can't find a discernible advantage. There is less compatibility compared with windows.

So you do think it's good to just get a laptop for normal use at uni?
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
A laptop or tablet or something for uni itself is a must. (Everyone I know has at least a laptop :tongue:, but I'm sure you can get by with just library computers if needs be).

For lectures.. a tablet might be useful but a laptop, not really unless you don't have a tablet but want to access notes/powerpoints online.

For most of my modules I have printed notes and scribble/annotate like that. Ones that involve powerpoints, I don't use anything - just make notes on paper and look over the powerpoints at home/in the library.

I have a desktop but I'm thinking to leave it for my brother and get a laptop
Original post by onur_m
I have a desktop but I'm thinking to leave it for my brother and get a laptop

Yegads.. desktop and uni... not sure about that.

I'd suggest getting a laptop :h:
Original post by onur_m

Thanks!

my brother does maths @ Warwick and uses a laptop to sometimes write the notes down on. he does that to change the order of the notes if needed, to make them clearer

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will have no problems having a MacBook for your maths degree, there's no software you'll require that won't be available on mac. Matlab, Maple, etc.

Posted from my phone, excuse my typo's
Reply 17
I'm a couple of months from finishing my maths degree and I'd say you'd need a decent laptop for any degree! I have a mac although I don't think it's brought me any extra benefits but I've had no problems with it either. Microsoft office is a must! And any other maths software I just tend to use on uni computers because it works better and you can use it easier on their larger screens but I see no reason why you couldn't use them on your own laptop/mac.

Also good luck and have fun! My maths degree has been the best three years of my life even if I am spending every day of third year in the library haha
Reply 18
Original post by jess151
I'm a couple of months from finishing my maths degree and I'd say you'd need a decent laptop for any degree! I have a mac although I don't think it's brought me any extra benefits but I've had no problems with it either. Microsoft office is a must! And any other maths software I just tend to use on uni computers because it works better and you can use it easier on their larger screens but I see no reason why you couldn't use them on your own laptop/mac.

Also good luck and have fun! My maths degree has been the best three years of my life even if I am spending every day of third year in the library haha

Haha thanks! When picking your own modules in 2nd and 3rd year does it make a big difference if you pick a mix of modules such as a few from finance then some computing modules and then core modules as well?
Reply 19
I didn't get any choice for modules in second year and the options in third year weren't great either. We don't do finance or really computing but we do have business ones. I think it just depends on what you want to do and personal preference, you'll know more about what you enjoy and what sounds appealing closer to the time.

Quick Reply

Latest